Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > Sapphire HD 7870 Flex GHz Edition 2 GB

Sapphire HD 7870 Flex GHz Edition 2 GB

Becky Becky is offline
Administrator
Becky's Avatar

Tech Power Up have reviewed the Sapphire HD 7870 Flex GHz Edition 2 GB, which has been given their 'Editor's Choice' award:

Quote:
"In our initial launch reviews of the HD 7870, we praised how much performance improved over the last generation, and that still stands. The Sapphire HD 7870 Flex offers performance close to what NVIDIA's last generation GTX 580 flagship provided. Sapphire chose to not overclock their card out of the box, so the Flex runs at the same speed as the AMD reference design. I feel that they missed out on an opportunity here, as the card can easily run higher clocks. In our OC testing we see GPU clocks well above 1200 MHz. Memory reaches 1365 MHz, which is quite a bit lower than other HD 7870 cards, which reach 1600 MHz. This is due to Sapphire's choice to use Elpida memory chips instead of Hynix, which tend to overclock better.

A unique feature of Sapphire's Flex Edition is that it can support three DVI/HDMI monitors without the need for an active DisplayPort adapter. AMD has designed their HD 7000 Series cards to provide two TMDS clock signals. DVI, HDMI, passive DP Adapter consume one, while an active DP adapter needs no clock signal from the GPU. As a result, most EyeFinity users without DisplayPort monitors will have to buy an active DP to DVI adapter, which costs between $30 and $60. Sapphire's card doesn't need such an adapter, which will save you that cost."
You can read the full review here.