Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Designing Java applets to work with PHP server scripts

Designing Java applets to work with PHP server scripts

K.J. Williams

I want to know, in general, how easy is it to design a Java applet to work with PHP for use on the internet?

thanks

Arne Vajh°j

On 7/10/2012 6:42 PM, K.J. Williams wrote:
> I want to know, in general, how easy is it to design a Java applet to work with PHP for use on the internet?

Rather easy.

Applet with builtin (Http)URLConnection or Apache HttpClient or
another HTTP client lib and a PHP script returning XML/JSON/CSV
is very simple to implement.

Arne

Roedy Green

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:42:44 -0700 (PDT), "K.J. Williams"
someone who said :

>I want to know, in general, how easy is it to design a Java applet to work with PHP for use on the internet?

They have nothing to do with each other. You trigger an Applet with
ordinary HTML. You don't have to dynamically generate anything.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Nigel Wade

On 10/07/12 23:42, K.J. Williams wrote:
> I want to know, in general, how easy is it to design a Java applet to work with PHP for use on the internet?

You need to be more explicit. Java applets are normally delivered from a
web server, and run client-side. PHP is a general purpose scripting
language which happens to be used on some web servers for CGI and other
server-side operations.

In what do you want an applet to "work with" PHP?

--
Nigel Wade

Roedy Green

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:58:56 +0100, Nigel Wade <(E-Mail Removed)>

>In what do you want an applet to "work with" PHP?

Maybe you mean have the applet send in transactions that look like CGI
forms?
--

On 7/12/2012 9:58 AM, Nigel Wade wrote:
> On 10/07/12 23:42, K.J. Williams wrote:
>> I want to know, in general, how easy is it to design a Java applet to
>> work with PHP for use on the internet?

> You need to be more explicit. Java applets are normally delivered from a
> web server, and run client-side. PHP is a general purpose scripting
> language which happens to be used on some web servers for CGI and other
> server-side operations.
>
> In what do you want an applet to "work with" PHP?

Having an applet communicate with a web service is rather common.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 7/13/2012 1:07 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:58:56 +0100, Nigel Wade <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> In what do you want an applet to "work with" PHP?

> Maybe you mean have the applet send in transactions that look like CGI
> forms?

Forms are defined in the HTML standard not in the CGI standard.

Arne

Nigel Wade

On 24/07/12 02:33, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> On 7/12/2012 9:58 AM, Nigel Wade wrote:
>> On 10/07/12 23:42, K.J. Williams wrote:
>>> I want to know, in general, how easy is it to design a Java applet to
>>> work with PHP for use on the internet?

>> You need to be more explicit. Java applets are normally delivered from a
>> web server, and run client-side. PHP is a general purpose scripting
>> language which happens to be used on some web servers for CGI and other
>> server-side operations.
>>
>> In what do you want an applet to "work with" PHP?

> Having an applet communicate with a web service is rather common.

I know it is, but that is just one rather specific instance of "server
scripts".

--
Nigel Wade

Arne Vajh°j

On 7/24/2012 6:59 AM, Nigel Wade wrote:
> On 24/07/12 02:33, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>>>
>>> You need to be more explicit. Java applets are normally delivered from a
>>> web server, and run client-side. PHP is a general purpose scripting
>>> language which happens to be used on some web servers for CGI and other
>>> server-side operations.
>>>
>>> In what do you want an applet to "work with" PHP?

>> Having an applet communicate with a web service is rather common.

> I know it is, but that is just one rather specific instance of "server
> scripts".

But in the context of "Java applet to work with PHP" it is a pretty good
fit.

Arne

Nigel Wade

On 24/07/12 20:51, Arne Vajh°j wrote:

> But in the context of "Java applet to work with PHP" it is a pretty good
> fit.

I would think CGI is a far more common fit than web service. But it
would still be an assumption which may mean wasting time providing
advice on heading down blind alleys. Better to get a more definitive
context from the OP first (which has still not been provided).

--
Nigel Wade