Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Why aren't my accesskey arguments working?

Reply
Thread Tools

Why aren't my accesskey arguments working?

 
 
Larry Lindstrom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2012
Hi again Folks:

I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of weeks.
I'm back on it now.

I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs "HTML
Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.

Here is the URL:

http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdocs...ble_forms.html

I've run it through HTML validation with not complaints. But the
validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Larry
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2012
2012-07-10 21:57, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

> I'm trying to get accesskey working


It won't work. It's broken by design and by implementations.

> But the
> validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.


That's irrelevant. The </head> is optional, unless you play by XML rules.

> What am I doing wrong?


Well, you didn't say what you regard as non-working with accesskey. But
it does not really matter. The accesskey attribute just messes up key
assignments or gets ignored.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BootNic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2012
In article <jthu09$9rp$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Larry Lindstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi again Folks:
>
> I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of
> weeks. I'm back on it now.
>
> I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs
> "HTML Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.
>
> Here is the URL:
>
> http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdocs...ble_forms.html


[snip]

> What am I doing wrong?


The access keys appear to work just fine, providing one knows what they areand
how to use them.

Modified example:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxH...GQ4dmwxdV9MQXM

http://<br /> http://en.wikipedia.or...browsers<br />


--
BootNic Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:42 pm
Happiness is not something you experience, it's something you remember.
*Oscar Levant*

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAk/8r9sACgkQOcdbyBqMFBF4RACcC6W8DLFkSEDlBH6R1jF8IwU5
IscAoMrso4PGJxNuBca4UfWcQuy30HqX
=tLXP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Lindstrom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2012
On 7/10/2012 3:42 PM, BootNic wrote:
> In article <jthu09$9rp$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Larry Lindstrom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi again Folks:
>>
>> I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of
>> weeks. I'm back on it now.
>>
>> I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs
>> "HTML Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.
>>
>> Here is the URL:
>>
>> http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdocs...ble_forms.html

>
> [snip]
>
>> What am I doing wrong?

>
> The access keys appear to work just fine, providing one knows what they are and
> how to use them.
>
> Modified example:
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxH...GQ4dmwxdV9MQXM
>
> http://<br /> > http://en.wikipedia....owsers<br /> >
>
>

Thanks BootNic:

Ok, my access keys do work.

I didn't realize the <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT> was the escape to get it
to work in Firefox.

I appreciate your effort to assist me.

Larry


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Lindstrom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2012
On 7/10/2012 12:41 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2012-07-10 21:57, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get accesskey working

>
> It won't work. It's broken by design and by implementations.
>
>> But the
>> validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.

>
> That's irrelevant. The </head> is optional, unless you play by XML rules.
>
>> What am I doing wrong?

>
> Well, you didn't say what you regard as non-working with accesskey. But
> it does not really matter. The accesskey attribute just messes up key
> assignments or gets ignored.
>


Thanks Jukka:

I didn't realize Firefox required <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT>.

What are these "key assignments" you're referring to? I'm not
finding much googling "HTML key assignments".

I appreciate your response.

Larry

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2012
2012-07-11 5:56, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

> I didn't realize Firefox required <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT>.


When you, as an author who has coded your page to use accesskey
attributes, did not know that, how many users do you expect to know how
to use key combinations as "access keys"?

Assuming a user belongs to the small minority who knows about such
possibilities in general, how is he supposed to know about specific
access key assignments on a page?

> What are these "key assignments" you're referring to? I'm not
> finding much googling "HTML key assignments".


Browsers and other programs have their own "shortcut" key assignments.

For example, using IE, I can open the "Näytä" (that's Finnish for
"View") menu by using <ALT> + <N>. That's nice, especially when I have
difficulties with using the mouse but can use the keyboard. But when
visiting a page that has accesskey="n", <ALT> + <N> causes the
page-specific action. (OK, I *can* still use the IE shortcut, but for
this, I need to press first <ALT>, then <N>, instead of using them
together. I wonder how many users have any idea of this.)

Accesskey attributes are generally *bad* for accessibility.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
KeyBoard Accelerator (AccessKey)? WJ ASP .Net 1 06-26-2004 07:33 PM
AccessKey.............. Gill Smith ASP .Net 1 05-17-2004 11:34 PM
AccessKey doesn't work when load pdf document on XP? david cheng ASP .Net 0 04-21-2004 11:56 PM
Accesskey option Manan ASP .Net 1 07-16-2003 06:48 AM



Advertisments