Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Netiquette When Quoting

Re: Netiquette When Quoting

Donchano

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:35:53 +1200, Kiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>Can I possibly suggest that those who reply to posts do not quote a
>thread in its entirety when it has already had several replies?

An example.

<SNIP>

>Not meaning to be pedantic, but it chews up bandwidth & server space,
>plus readers have to scroll down several pages to get to the latest
>update and read through content they have already read.

I'm not sure that bandwidth & server space are issues any more. But
it's definitely makes reading it a pain in the arse.

Gordon

On 2012-07-09, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:35:53 +1200, Kiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
> from the highest rooftop:
>

>>Can I possibly suggest that those who reply to posts do not quote a
>>thread in its entirety when it has already had several replies?

> An example.
>
><SNIP>
>
>>Not meaning to be pedantic, but it chews up bandwidth & server space,
>>plus readers have to scroll down several pages to get to the latest
>>update and read through content they have already read.

> I'm not sure that bandwidth & server space are issues any more. But
> it's definitely makes reading it a pain in the arse.

Enough grains of sands make a very long beach. Every little bit counts.

However the realy amin point is, do you as the writer wish others to read
your posts? When confronted with more than two screen fulls of quotes I move
right along. No doubt others do as well.

If it worth writing, its worth snipping (the previous post). Unless one is
plain lazy.

Mike Dee

Gordon wrote:

>> [...]

> However the realy amin point is, do you as the writer wish others
> to read your posts? When confronted with more than two screen
> fulls of quotes I move right along. No doubt others do as well.

I tend to move along when confronted with lengthy untrimmed quotes and
then, at the bottom of it, an "I agree" or a "+1" is all that's been
contributed.

Thankfully, most full featured newsreaders also have a toggle, either a
button or hotkey that turns quoted text on or off. So with it toggled
off, all you see is what's been written by the poster you are reading
at the time. Which is great for those long threads and loads of quoted
material.

> If it worth writing, its worth snipping (the previous post).
> Unless one is plain lazy.

Yes, mostly. I agree with the previous posters tho', no trimming is a
waste of bandwidth and "a pain in the a" to read.

--
dee

What are all these nonesence sites quoting mine but with no content? xyZed HTML 8 04-05-2006 04:52 PM
Quoting literals properly yoni XML 12 02-18-2006 10:42 PM
Quoting original messages in replies John Coxon Firefox 14 04-24-2004 06:18 PM
Outlook Express quoting NetNews Computer Support 4 11-16-2003 08:10 AM
Quoting confusion Derek Fountain XML 2 08-13-2003 10:36 AM

Advertisments