Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Old USB1 powered hub as a charger for USB2 device?

Old USB1 powered hub as a charger for USB2 device?

Ummmmmmm.......

Does anyone know if I could use an old USB1 powered hub to charge a USB2
device? [Unbadged, but I think it's a Chinese clone of an iPod Nano]

Q2. Might I damage the MP4 player if I hooked it up to try it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

On 7/8/2012 1:13 PM, Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
> Does anyone know if I could use an old USB1 powered hub to charge a USB2
> device? [Unbadged, but I think it's a Chinese clone of an iPod Nano]
>
> Q2. Might I damage the MP4 player if I hooked it up to try it?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Might not charge when unenumerated, most non i devices will charge at
full current if they see the D+ and D- pins connected together.

Jonathan Ah Kit

On 7/07/2012 9:13 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
> Does anyone know if I could use an old USB1 powered hub to charge a USB2
> device? [Unbadged, but I think it's a Chinese clone of an iPod Nano]
>
> Q2. Might I damage the MP4 player if I hooked it up to try it?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Ummmmmmm.......,

So long the quality of the hub is reasonable, I do not see why not.

If anything, I would see you bricking the hub because of the (if so) bad
quality of the MPwhatever player. Hence why unless I am synchronising
with a PC, I prefer to use standalone AC USB chargers or self-powered
hubs for charging than the PC’s USB ports.

Kia ora,
Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Ah Kit – 814-753-4424 – Wilkes-Barre, PA – Lower Hutt, NZ
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)(E-Mail Removed)