Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Comcast email - keep me signed in doesn't work

Comcast email - keep me signed in doesn't work

dcardarelli@comcast.net

I am running XP, Google Chrome browser, and Comcast Email

It seems that when I log on to Comcast email and check the box "Keep
me signed in," that doesn't happen. When I exit and re-enter later I
have to sign in again, password, etc. every time.

I called Comcast and they said from their end, it should work. They
feel it is a setting in Chrome that may be causing this.

I looked at the settings but nothing stands out.

When I sign in to Google, I stay signed in.

This is only a nuisance and this only started about a month ago.

Hopefully there will be a clue on this.

Regards,

Dave

Paul

> I am running XP, Google Chrome browser, and Comcast Email
>
> It seems that when I log on to Comcast email and check the box "Keep
> me signed in," that doesn't happen. When I exit and re-enter later I
> have to sign in again, password, etc. every time.
>
> I called Comcast and they said from their end, it should work. They
> feel it is a setting in Chrome that may be causing this.
>
> I looked at the settings but nothing stands out.
>
> When I sign in to Google, I stay signed in.
>
> This is only a nuisance and this only started about a month ago.
>
> Hopefully there will be a clue on this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

It's unlikely that "keep me signed in", keeps an actual
connection to the server open. The connection is likely
there, on your end, for around two minutes. Maintaining
permanent connections to a server, takes server resources
and isn't scalable to millions of customers (without a cost).

So, how can you fake it ?

By keeping a cookie on the client computer, with a copy
of the account and password (encrypted). When the web
code says to check with Comcast later, the web server at
Comcast will ask for a username/password, and that will
come from the cookie, so you don't have to type it in.

If you've disabled cookies, I could imagine that
causing your symptoms. Cookies can be denied via browser
setting, by browser add-on, or by AV software denial.
Lots of ways to lose them, not as many ways to keep them.

If Chrome is capable of auto-updates, then it's even possible
tool behavior changes with time, and that's where the new
behavior comes from. Chrome assuming some new default settings.
So it might not even be a change or something you've installed,
that did it.

Paul

dcardarelli@comcast.net

On Jul 6, 6:57*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I am running XP, Google Chrome browser, and Comcast Email

> > It seems that when I log on to Comcast email and check the box "Keep
> > me signed in," that doesn't happen. When I exit and re-enter later I
> > have to sign in again, password, etc. every time.

> > I called Comcast and they said from their end, it should work. *They
> > feel it is a setting in Chrome that may be causing this.

> > I looked at the settings but nothing stands out.

> > When I sign in to Google, I stay signed in.

> > This is only a nuisance and this only started about a month ago.

> > Hopefully there will be a clue on this.

> > Regards,

> > Dave

> It's unlikely that "keep me signed in", keeps an actual
> connection to the server open. The connection is likely
> there, on your end, for around two minutes. Maintaining
> permanent connections to a server, takes server resources
> and isn't scalable to millions of customers (without a cost).
>
> So, how can you fake it ?
>
> By keeping a cookie on the client computer, with a copy
> of the account and password (encrypted). When the web
> code says to check with Comcast later, the web server at
> Comcast will ask for a username/password, and that will
> come from the cookie, so you don't have to type it in.
>
> If you've disabled cookies, I could imagine that
> causing your symptoms. Cookies can be denied via browser
> setting, by browser add-on, or by AV software denial.
> Lots of ways to lose them, not as many ways to keep them.
>
> If Chrome is capable of auto-updates, then it's even possible
> tool behavior changes with time, and that's where the new
> behavior comes from. Chrome assuming some new default settings.
> So it might not even be a change or something you've installed,
> that did it.
>
> * * Paul

New information:

As long as I keep Google Chrome open or minimized, then opening
Comcast email goes directly to my email without logging in.
Apparently, logging off Chrome must wipe out the "signing in" of the
email. Looking for anything in the setup, etc. that might reflect
this.

I re-installed Explorer 8 as well as Google Chrome but I don't think
that make a difference.

Dave

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jul 6, 6:57 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I am running XP, Google Chrome browser, and Comcast Email
>>> It seems that when I log on to Comcast email and check the box "Keep
>>> me signed in," that doesn't happen. When I exit and re-enter later I
>>> have to sign in again, password, etc. every time.
>>> I called Comcast and they said from their end, it should work. They
>>> feel it is a setting in Chrome that may be causing this.
>>> I looked at the settings but nothing stands out.
>>> When I sign in to Google, I stay signed in.
>>> This is only a nuisance and this only started about a month ago.
>>> Hopefully there will be a clue on this.
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

>> It's unlikely that "keep me signed in", keeps an actual
>> connection to the server open. The connection is likely
>> there, on your end, for around two minutes. Maintaining
>> permanent connections to a server, takes server resources
>> and isn't scalable to millions of customers (without a cost).
>>
>> So, how can you fake it ?
>>
>> By keeping a cookie on the client computer, with a copy
>> of the account and password (encrypted). When the web
>> code says to check with Comcast later, the web server at
>> Comcast will ask for a username/password, and that will
>> come from the cookie, so you don't have to type it in.
>>
>> If you've disabled cookies, I could imagine that
>> causing your symptoms. Cookies can be denied via browser
>> setting, by browser add-on, or by AV software denial.
>> Lots of ways to lose them, not as many ways to keep them.
>>
>> If Chrome is capable of auto-updates, then it's even possible
>> tool behavior changes with time, and that's where the new
>> behavior comes from. Chrome assuming some new default settings.
>> So it might not even be a change or something you've installed,
>> that did it.
>>
>> Paul

> New information:
>
> As long as I keep Google Chrome open or minimized, then opening
> Comcast email goes directly to my email without logging in.
> Apparently, logging off Chrome must wipe out the "signing in" of the
> email. Looking for anything in the setup, etc. that might reflect
> this.
>
> I re-installed Explorer 8 as well as Google Chrome but I don't think
> that make a difference.
>
> Dave

Review your cookie retention settings. Does one of them say "delete
cookies on shutdown" ? It could be, when you exit the tool, the
cookies are flushed. Find the preferences and see.

Note as well, that some third-party browsers, honor the settings
in IE. So even if the browser doesn't have a setting for something,
it could be inherited from IE.

Keep digging Using a browser, was always meant to be like
flying the space shuttle.

Paul

dcardarelli@comcast.net

On Jul 6, 10:36*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> It's unlikely that "keep me signed in", keeps an actual
> >> connection to the server open. The connection is likely
> >> there, on your end, for around two minutes. Maintaining
> >> permanent connections to a server, takes server resources
> >> and isn't scalable to millions of customers (without a cost).

> >> So, how can you fake it ?

> >> By keeping a cookie on the client computer, with a copy
> >> of the account and password (encrypted). When the web
> >> code says to check with Comcast later, the web server at
> >> Comcast will ask for a username/password, and that will
> >> come from the cookie, so you don't have to type it in.

> >> If you've disabled cookies, I could imagine that
> >> causing your symptoms. Cookies can be denied via browser
> >> setting, by browser add-on, or by AV software denial.
> >> Lots of ways to lose them, not as many ways to keep them.

> >> If Chrome is capable of auto-updates, then it's even possible
> >> tool behavior changes with time, and that's where the new
> >> behavior comes from. Chrome assuming some new default settings.
> >> So it might not even be a change or something you've installed,
> >> that did it.

> >> * * Paul

> > New information:

> > As long as I keep Google Chrome open or minimized, then opening
> > Comcast email goes directly to my email without logging in.
> > Apparently, logging off Chrome must wipe out the "signing in" of the
> > email. *Looking for anything in the setup, etc. that might reflect
> > this.

> > I re-installed Explorer 8 as well as Google Chrome but I don't think
> > that make a difference.

> > Dave

> Review your cookie retention settings. Does one of them say "delete
> cookies on shutdown" ? It could be, when you exit the tool, the
> cookies are flushed. Find the preferences and see.
>
> Note as well, that some third-party browsers, honor the settings
> in IE. So even if the browser doesn't have a setting for something,
> it could be inherited from IE.
>
> Keep digging Using a browser, was always meant to be like
> flying the space shuttle.
>
> * * Paul

Well, I am continuing from time to time checking preferences, options,
settings, etc., and I'll get it sometime. But, as long as I keep the
Google browser open in the tray, all seems fine.

I notice, that when I close Google, only the password for Comcast
Email gets deleted. Other passwords like, those for my local library,
news sites, and other sites are not affected. So it seems it must be
specific to the Comcast Email site for some reason.

Best regards, and thanks for the chatting.

Dave

Daniel47@teranews.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jul 6, 10:36 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> New information:

>>> As long as I keep Google Chrome open or minimized, then opening
>>> Comcast email goes directly to my email without logging in.
>>> Apparently, logging off Chrome must wipe out the "signing in" of the
>>> email. Looking for anything in the setup, etc. that might reflect
>>> this.

>>> I re-installed Explorer 8 as well as Google Chrome but I don't think
>>> that make a difference.

>>> Dave

>> Review your cookie retention settings. Does one of them say "delete
>> cookies on shutdown" ? It could be, when you exit the tool, the
>> cookies are flushed. Find the preferences and see.
>>
>> Note as well, that some third-party browsers, honor the settings
>> in IE. So even if the browser doesn't have a setting for something,
>> it could be inherited from IE.
>>
>> Keep digging Using a browser, was always meant to be like
>> flying the space shuttle.
>>
>> Paul

> Well, I am continuing from time to time checking preferences, options,
> settings, etc., and I'll get it sometime. But, as long as I keep the
> Google browser open in the tray, all seems fine.
>
> I notice, that when I close Google, only the password for Comcast
> Email gets deleted. Other passwords like, those for my local library,
> news sites, and other sites are not affected. So it seems it must be
> specific to the Comcast Email site for some reason.
>
> Best regards, and thanks for the chatting.
>
> Dave

Dave, could it be that you have your passwords file set as "Read Only"
so you can use a session password, but it cannot be saved to your
passwords file?? Or are you actually accepting a session password from
Comcast??

Just thinking!1

Daniel