Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Alpha release???

Alpha release???

William W. Plummer

I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

Andreas, His Excellency, The Imperial Grand Pooh-Bah

William W. Plummer wrote:

> I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
> oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
> friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
> outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
> that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

You CAN download an alpha release if you want to and give it a try, but
its up to you. The current alpha is 1.8a4:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or.../mozilla1.8a4/

Andreas

To contact me remove the other name for "Canned Meat"

Leonidas Jones

William W. Plummer wrote:
> I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
> oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
> friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
> outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
> that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

You don't understand the concept of Open Source. The whole development
of this product is conducted right out in the open. We are the "trusted
friends"!

Heck, if you want, you can see all the pre-alpha's. Just go to mozllazine:

http://www.mozillazine.org/

Upper left of the page, click nightlies and get the latest version,
warts and all. Theyt usually work, and they usually have bugs, but
anyone can see and use them. You can even download the source code and
make your own version if you have the skill and interest.

Lee

Moz Champion

William W. Plummer wrote:

> I noticed that Mozilla 1.8 "alpha" has been released. But that's an
> oxymoron. Alpha releases are internal only and are meant for trusted
> friends within the development organization. When trial releases go
> outside the organization they are "beta" releases. So it is unlikely
> that we users will ever see a real alpha product.

No its not an oxymoron

Mozilla, and Firefox and Thunderbird are all open sourced

ALL development stages are available to anyone just for the downloading!
You can get the daily test builds if you wish, the SAME ones the
developers are using for development on their machines.

OPEN SOURCE means YOU are part and parcel of the 'organization' in
effect. YOU can test, you can even help program, all for the price of
downloading.

There are no 'hidden' releases of the products, you have available to
you EVERY single build of the product, whether its bug free or not,
whether its been tested or not, and an ALPHA product from Mozilla is an
ALPHA product. You are INSIDE the organization, because its open source.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Can't Alpha-Sort Bookmarks Folder Howard Leighty Firefox 1 01-04-2006 09:44 PM
silly question - what is" Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" ? false-name@false-account.net Firefox 3 09-17-2005 06:49 AM
TBird alpha 2 (&1.05?) Spellcheck Splibbilla Firefox 2 07-19-2005 09:33 AM
Deer Park Alpha Kouros Firefox 3 06-14-2005 05:29 PM
1.8 Alpha. Yay. Poly-poly man Firefox 1 02-16-2005 10:11 PM

Advertisments