Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > NCPROT error?

NCPROT error?

Joe J

Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now on
boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this file:

NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find the
correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web service no
help.

I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be associated
with.

Using WIN 7 Home.

Any ideas? If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get the North
Carolina protection of marriage act

Paul

Joe J wrote:
> Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now
> on boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this file:
>
> NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find the
> correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web service no
> help.
>
> I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be
> associated with.
>
> Using WIN 7 Home.
>
> Any ideas? If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get the North
> Carolina protection of marriage act

Sometimes, when malware is removed, a startup file will get disabled,
but the AV tool doesn't do proper cleanup. That leaves annoying
error messages at boot time.

The file in question is a soft link, so is a "pointer" to some
other file.

The file name is "8.3 format". The real file name could be
quite a bit longer than "NCPROT". You could try searching the
file system for NCPROT and see if anything with a longer name
is present.

All manner of startup items, can be listed with Autoruns from
Sysinternals. You might take a look with this, and see if
NCPROT shows up. Autoruns uses easy "tick boxes", to turn
stuff off. The idea being, you can enable things later if
you were mistaken. Sysinternals was bought by Microsoft,
which is why it is hosted there now.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902

Paul

VanguardLH

Joe J wrote:

> Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now
> on boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this
> file: NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find
> the correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web
> service no help.
>
> Using WIN 7 Home.

A .lnk file is a link file aka shortcut. The target for the link no
longer exists. You deleted the targeted file, uninstalled a program,
restricted access to the file via permissions or policies, or otherwise
made the file no longer accessible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNK_file

Do a file search on "ncprot". I haven't used Windows search for a long
time because it hides lots of files so I don't know if it includes .lnk
files or not. I use FileLocator Lite (aka Agent Ransack) to find all
files. Once you find the link file, look at its properties. In the
shortcut's definition is the executable that it loads. Does that
executable file still exist and in the specified path?

http://www.processchecker.com/file/NCPROT~1.EXE.html

Did you install this software (or did it come bundled as part of the
fluff used to bloat the software package included with a pre-built
computer)? Did you uninstall this software?

You can use msconfig.exe to list the Startup items to see if the ncprot
link (shortcut) is listed there. Alas, msconfig doesn't show all
locations for startup items. If you don't see it in msconfig, you can
use SysInternals' AutoRuns (now owned by Microsoft) to list all startup
items. You can scan through the everything list or do a search on
"ncprot" to find the startup item.

> I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be
> associated with. If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get
> the North Carolina protection of marriage act

http://www.google.com/search?q=ncprot

The ProcessChecker hit was the 4th one in the results list that I got.

Joe J

"VanguardLH" wrote in message news:jt7td9$l3m$(E-Mail Removed)...

Joe J wrote:

> Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now
> on boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this
> file: NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find
> the correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web
> service no help.
>
> Using WIN 7 Home.

A .lnk file is a link file aka shortcut. The target for the link no
longer exists. You deleted the targeted file, uninstalled a program,
restricted access to the file via permissions or policies, or otherwise
made the file no longer accessible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNK_file

Do a file search on "ncprot". I haven't used Windows search for a long
time because it hides lots of files so I don't know if it includes .lnk
files or not. I use FileLocator Lite (aka Agent Ransack) to find all
files. Once you find the link file, look at its properties. In the
shortcut's definition is the executable that it loads. Does that
executable file still exist and in the specified path?

http://www.processchecker.com/file/NCPROT~1.EXE.html

Did you install this software (or did it come bundled as part of the
fluff used to bloat the software package included with a pre-built
computer)? Did you uninstall this software?

You can use msconfig.exe to list the Startup items to see if the ncprot
link (shortcut) is listed there. Alas, msconfig doesn't show all
locations for startup items. If you don't see it in msconfig, you can
use SysInternals' AutoRuns (now owned by Microsoft) to list all startup
items. You can scan through the everything list or do a search on
"ncprot" to find the startup item.

> I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be
> associated with. If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get
> the North Carolina protection of marriage act

http://www.google.com/search?q=ncprot

The ProcessChecker hit was the 4th one in the results list that I got.

Figured out the problem. It was related to the new Samsung monitor I bought
for my wife. Used the install CD to reinstall the monitor software and all
is well now.

Thanks!