Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor

Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor

Arklin K.

Is it possible to replace just this tiny ring in the Nikon lens?
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658510.jpg

It's a Nikon DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens on a Nikon D5000.

I dropped the camera and the only thing that broke was this tiny piece of
plastic around the lens (which, unfortunately, holds the lens on the
camera):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658511.jpg

I'm not a camera expert but if I could buy the part, I could figure out
maybe how to install it on the lens.

In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
get one cheap mailorder?

nospam

In article <jt56eg$45l$(E-Mail Removed)>, Arklin K.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to replace just this tiny ring in the Nikon lens?
> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658510.jpg

call a camera repair shop and see if they'll sell you the parts. it's
probably better to have them fix it though.

> I'm not a camera expert but if I could buy the part, I could figure out
> maybe how to install it on the lens.

and you might make it worse.

> In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
> protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
> get one cheap mailorder?

don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

tony cooper

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:02:40 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it possible to replace just this tiny ring in the Nikon lens?
> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658510.jpg
>
>It's a Nikon DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens on a Nikon D5000.
>
>I dropped the camera and the only thing that broke was this tiny piece of
>plastic around the lens (which, unfortunately, holds the lens on the
>camera):
> http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8658511.jpg
>
>I'm not a camera expert but if I could buy the part, I could figure out
>maybe how to install it on the lens.
>
>In addition, after dropping the camera, I realized I need a lens
>protector (glass filter?) for the outside of the lens. Where best can I
>get one cheap mailorder?

Funny you should mention that. I did exactly the same thing with the
same lens. That broken flange stops the lens from locking on to the
camera body. It's a very common problem when the camera is dropped.

I took it to my local camera repair shop and was told that the part
needed would cost him $70 and he'd add labor to that. He said that
Nikon charges $110.00 for the repair.

And, he told me in no uncertain terms that repairing the lens would be
a waste of money. A replacement lens can be obtained on eBay for
about $100, and that's a faster and probably cheaper way to go if you
really want to continue to use the lens.

I use either my Nikon 35mm prime lens or my 18/200 Tamron lens
instead.

As far as you buying the part, I tried to take my lens apart to see if
I could do that, but I can't figure out how to do it. It unscrews,
but there's a doohickey attached that I can't figure out.

As far as a filter, a lens hood is more protection, but you could buy
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Scr.../dp/B00009R96C

This is a better protective device:
http://www.amazon.com/AGFA-52mm-Heav...bber+lens+hood

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Arklin K.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:29:26 -0700, nospam wrote:

> don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
when all I want to do is protect the lens?

Arklin K.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> I did exactly the same thing with the same lens.
> That broken flange stops the lens from locking on to the
> camera body. It's a very common problem when the camera is dropped.

Exactly! The lens won't stay tight on the camera without that little tiny
lip of flimsy plastic.

Truth be told, this is my third lens in that picture (I have two that are
broken the same way).

So I do believe you it's a common problem. That's why there must be a
common answer.

Where can we get the part?

Can we buy the part from Nikon and replace it ourselves?

Arklin K.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> As far as you buying the part, I tried to take my lens apart to see if I
> could do that, but I can't figure out how to do it. It unscrews, but
> there's a doohickey attached that I can't figure out.

I'll first try to find an exploded diagram of the lens.

Maybe I'll call Nikon. We can't be the only ones with this problem
because it appears to be a common problem based on our anecdotal evidence
and just looking at how and where it broke.

Must be a zillion lenses out there with the same problem When I work on
my car, that means there is a good solution ... if we only knew whom to
ask.

Is there a good Nikon camera forum we can ask?

Arklin K.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:25:15 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> As far as a filter ... you could buy
> http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Scr.../dp/B00009R96C

Wow. $30 is 20% of the cost of a new lens (at $150 for the lens on
Amazon).

Something seems wrong.

How could a simple non-moving low-tech screw on filter be that expensive
relative to an entire zoom lens?

From an engineering standpoint, I must be missing something fundamental.
Can someone clue me in to what is the reason for the huge expense of such
a simple part?

> This is a better protective device:
> http://www.amazon.com/AGFA-52mm-Heav...dp/B00603RS9W/

ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341537834&sr=8-2&keywords=52mm+rubber+lens+hood

Now we're talking bang for the buck!
- Screw on AGFA 52mm Heavy Duty Rubber Lens Hood APSLH52 $4.50

It seems this hood will screw onto the lens and that the filter can screw
onto this hood, right?

BTW, how did you know that the "DX VR: AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
lens" was 52mm?

Arklin K.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:29:26 -0700, nospam wrote:

> call a camera repair shop and see if they'll sell you the parts. it's
> probably better to have them fix it though.

I forgot to mention I prefer, if I can, to buy the part and fix it myself.

I have two of these broken lenses and would learn on the old one to do
better on the new one.

I think I need a good Nikon camera forum. Googling I find these.

Which would you guys recommend?

- http://forums.photographyreview.com/...era-equipment/
- http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/nikon-cameras-325
- http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcbo...pics&forum=101
- http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
- http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/
- http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/
- http://forums.photographyreview.com/
- http://www.cameraforum.com/forum.php...70d4a25bf281b0

I'd rather post to the best forum for Nikon lens repairs. Anyone have
experience with these forums above?

nospam

In article <jt5t9n$7g7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Arklin K.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

> Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
> when all I want to do is protect the lens?

if you want to protect the lens, get a lens cap.

if you want a filter on the front all the time, get a good filter
because a cheap filter will lower the quality of your photos.

multicoated filters are important because it reduces flare and other
problems compared to an uncoated filter. that's why your lens has
multicoating. super-multicoating is even better, but the lens in
question isn't that great to begin with and not worth spending a lot of
money on a filter.

nospam

In article <jt5u0u$7g7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Arklin K.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > As far as a filter ... you could buy
> > http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-52mm-Scr.../dp/B00009R96C

> Wow. $30 is 20% of the cost of a new lens (at $150 for the lens on
> Amazon).
>
> Something seems wrong.

what's wrong is that is a very poor choice. nikon filters tend to be
overpriced.

a much better choice is this, which was shown on the above link:
<http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Digital-M...ter/dp/B00009R
98A/>

get a used filter if price is an issue. shop around. you may be able to
get one for less. try ebay.

for hoya, be sure it's hmc or preferably, shmc. other makers have
different letter combinations for multicoated. try to stay away from
no-name brands.

> How could a simple non-moving low-tech screw on filter be that expensive
> relative to an entire zoom lens?

because it needs to be optically flat and also multi-coated to reduce
flare and other problems. the filter ring needs to have threads that
won't bind and jam in the lens, and the ring shouldn't bend if you
twist too hard. that doesn't come cheap. also, people are wiling to pay
more money than they should for filters so they're priced accordingly.