Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor

Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sometimes, cannibalized parts are fine, but not in this case. The
> part that you need will be somewhat worn from use and many not lock
> into the body after a few months.

or it might be in good shape. you don't know what condition a part
neither you nor he has seen.

> I don't feel the lens is worth fixing. Replacement is the way to go.

true. it's not worth fixing. it's a cheap lens. sell it on ebay and use
the funds to buy something better. people pay surprisingly high prices
for broken lenses there.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Where can we get the part?

> >a camera repair shop will probably sell you the part.
> >
> >> Can we buy the part from Nikon and replace it ourselves?

> >i doubt nikon will sell parts to end users. you will likely need to
> >call a camera store or repair shop.

> Keep up with things if you want to offer advice on subjects you
> don't know anything about.

take your own advice.

> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03...nt-service-com
> panies

all that says is that independent stores can no longer buy parts
directly from nikon. that doesn't mean they can't get parts in other
ways.

my local camera shop still repairs nikon products and they're not an
authorized service center.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There are three basic causes for lens damage:
>
> 1. Dropping the lens or the whole. A protective filter offers
> absolutely no protection from drops unless the contact point is
> directly to the lens.

which it can easily be.

> 2. Bumping the camera with lens attached. When you have the camera
> strap around your neck, and the camera swings around, it can bump into
> things. Again, unless the contact point is directly to lens, a filter
> does no good at all.

and if it is the front element, then it does.

> 3. Sand, and other debris, getting on the lens and causing scratches
> if the lens is cleaned improperly. A filter stops this, but the
> filter is damaged if cleaned improperly. Filters aren't free.

neither are lenses. it's a whole lot better to replace a $10 filter
than a $100 lens (in this case).

4. the lens cap comes off inside the camera bag and scratches nearby
glass. this happened to me. fortunately, i had a filter and only had to
replace the filter.

> The better solutions are the use of your lens cap when you aren't
> actually shooting and the use of a lens hood at all times.

true, but that has nothing to do with using a filter. both a lens cap
and a hood can be used with filters.

> The lens hood acts as a bumper, so incidents in #1 and #2 are far less
> likely to result in lens damage when the contact point is the directly
> towards the lens. It doesn't guarantee the lens won't be damaged, but
> it significantly reduces the chances. Significantly.
>
> I prefer the rubber lens hoods instead of the rigid plastic or metal
> hoods. The rubber lens hoods can be rolled back instead of removed to
> fit the camera in your bag or when the hood creates a shadow when the
> built-in flash is used.

the rigid hoods flip around so there's no issue in fitting in a camera
bag. they are also more effective since they're built for a specific
lens and the aspect ratio of the sensor. rubber hoods are generic.

as for shadows, learn how to properly use flash and you won't get a
shadow.

> There's an argument that cheaper filters degrade the image, but I'm
> not going to get into that. It's not a proven thing either way.

it is definitely proven, but if you can't see the difference then you
don't need to buy expensive filters.

> Make your own decision, though.

that's the only good advice you've given.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Floyd L. Davidson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In fact though, the higher priced filters *are* better!

usually they are, and priced accordingly. not always though.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

> >Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
> >when all I want to do is protect the lens?

> You need a Nikon NC filter. It is colourless, multi-coated and will
> provide the protection you need.

no he doesn't. there are better and less expensive options.

K W Hart

"Arklin K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jt5t9n$7g7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:29:26 -0700, nospam wrote:
>
>> don't get cheap filters. get a multi-coated one, at a minimum.

> Where would you get a multi-coated filter and ... what would it do for me
> when all I want to do is protect the lens?

The "where" answer is any reputable camera store, either local or online.
The why is a bit trickier: When you look through your living room window at
the street outside, you may see reflections or glare, depending on lighting,
angle of view, etc. The coating reduces or eliminates this.
Many people use a UV or Skylight filter on their lens all the time. These
filters are fairly inexpensive.

Arklin K.

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 06:56:38 +0000, Arklin K. wrote:

> I'll call Nikon tomorrow first and report back what they say.

It was a looooooong wait! I've been on for almost an hour!
And I'm still waiting!

My battery is running low on my laptop - so - I'm going to post where I
left off while on (seemingly permanent) hold with Nikon ...

Nikon Support/Service/Repair: www.nikonusa.com (click on 'service')
5AM-9PM Mon-Sun Pacific, 800-Nikon-US, 800-645-6687

Amazingly, this is the "correct" sequence at the 800 number:
a) x1 = US
b) x5 = Repairs (or press x3 for lenses)
c) x5 = Parts (or press x0 for a representative)
d) x2 = Representative
e) x1 = Parts (FAX = 310-322-6979)

Nikon Parts direct number:
7AM-3PM Mon-Fri Pacific, 310-414-8107

tony cooper

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:04:56 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >a camera repair shop will probably sell you the part.

>> >i doubt nikon will sell parts to end users. you will likely need to
>> >call a camera store or repair shop.

>> Keep up with things if you want to offer advice on subjects you
>> don't know anything about.

>take your own advice.
>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03...nt-service-com
>> panies

>all that says is that independent stores can no longer buy parts
>directly from nikon. that doesn't mean they can't get parts in other
>ways.
>
>my local camera shop still repairs nikon products and they're not an
>authorized service center.

So does the camera repair shop I use. I've known the guy for 20-some
years because he's a friend of my son. However, he's now using all
cannibalized parts from other Nikons and the old new stock he had
before the change. He can buy "gray market" Nikon stuff from Japan,
but that means it takes months for a simple repair. He can also
network other shops, but this particular part so frequently in need of
replacement that they're not findable.

Your own shop is probably doing the same.

Just admit it...you gave wrong advice and are too embarrassed to admit
it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Arklin K.

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:59:43 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> Something's wrong with that statement. If you are buying new products,
> the store is not the cause of damage within a few months. You are.

Hi Tony,

I was remiss in not mentioning that this store only sells used equipment.
And, that I didn't drop the equipment. They sold me a 400mm lens which
started making noises as I focused just about a month after I bought it.
I should have brought it back then, but I wasn't sure what the problem
was. Then, it broke altogether. Similar thing happened with a used flash
unit. I concluded that buying from that store was a waste, especially
since they offer no return - just credit, and even then, only within 30
days.

> But, they are in no way responsible for a
> product breaking in use.

I agree. It's my fault for buying from them. That's why I don't go there
anymore. You'd do the same.

> It wouldn't make any difference where you
> bought the product.

That's true. If it's going to break because it was badly repaired (e.g.,
if it was glued together), then it's gonna break no matter whom we bought
it from.

That's why I prefer to do my own repairs!
WHich is why I'm asking you for advice!

> I think you mentioned that this is your third damaged lens. You can't
> blame that on the store. Especially not the current damage. You
> dropped the camera. You.

Of course. My fault, actually, is in buying a "plastic" Nikon D5000.

I've had the D3000 and the D5000, and I take pictures every single day. I
take pictures of people. And, people 'do stuff'. I take it hiking, I take
it biking, I take it to school. I take it to work.

It gets dropped. It's just what happens. This time, I was working on my
car, fixing a part, and the camera bumped against something and fell
about a foot onto hard garage concrete.

I do agree ... it's my fault (I don't think I ever said it wasn't).

But that doesn't negate the desire to 'fix' the camera.

All I'm asking for is help in finding the exploded diagram.
Note: I would think you guys do this all the time.

Arklin K.

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:04:56 -0700, nospam wrote:

> all that says is that independent stores can no longer buy parts
> directly from nikon. that doesn't mean they can't get parts in other
> ways.

I called Nikon. They 'do' sell parts to individuals. I'm still on the
line with them (it has been about an hour or so ... as I wasn't
counting) ... but they 'do' sell parts!

Yippee! They are transferring me now ... I'll write back with details!