Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java processors

Java processors

Daniele Futtorovic

On 12/07/2012 00:41, Roedy Green allegedly wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:13:06 +0200, Daniele Futtorovic
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
> quoted someone who said :
>
>> Sounds to me like you could be misinterpreting that, Roedy. It says
>> "method... running in a loop". Not: loop running in a method. I'd rather

> That would be much simpler. That way you would never optimise a loop
> in the process of being executed. That sounds like a much more
> plausible task. All you have to do is get the stack right and leave
> all the class and instance variable where they are.
>
> The problem it is could wait quite a long time to interrupt. I wonder
> how it actually works.

Well, look at it like this: the longer (and hence less frequently) the
method runs (it running indefinitely being the extreme case), the less
reason there is to replace it.

--
DF.

David Lamb

On 08/07/2012 8:56 PM, Lew wrote:
> It wouldn't make sense to keep old compilations around. They're based on
> runtime conditions that by definition have changed or the old one would
> still be valid.

It has been a long time since I worked on optimizing compiler
technology, but my fragmented memories suggest that it's not "all or
nothing" with regard to what information you need for optimization. Some
intra-procedural data flow analysis remains valid even if
inter-procedural or inter-class information changes, and some
optimization only depend on local information.

Lew

On Monday, July 16, 2012 10:22:21 AM UTC-7, David Lamb wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 8:56 PM, Lew wrote:
> &gt; It wouldn't make sense to keep old compilations around. They're based on
> &gt; runtime conditions that by definition have changed or the old one would
> &gt; still be valid.
>
> It has been a long time since I worked on optimizing compiler
> technology, but my fragmented memories suggest that it's not &quot;all or
> nothing&quot; with regard to what information you need for optimization. Some
> intra-procedural data flow analysis remains valid even if
> inter-procedural or inter-class information changes, and some
> optimization only depend on local information.

I said "compilations". You said "optimizations".

Apples. Oranges.

--
Lew

Eric Sosman

On 7/21/2012 12:46 PM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
> In article <jtfokt$iae$(E-Mail Removed)>, da.futt.news@laposte-dot-
> net.invalid says...
>
>> Sounds to me like you could be misinterpreting that, Roedy. It says
>> "method... running in a loop". Not: loop running in a method.

> Which loop is not running in a method?

class Clown {
static {
while(true) System.out.println("This one.");
}
}

--
Eric Sosman

Eric Sosman

On 7/21/2012 1:23 PM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
> In article <juenhg$3jn$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)d
> says...

>>> Which loop is not running in a method?

>> class Clown {
>> static {
>> while(true) System.out.println("This one.");
>> }
>> }

> Which, from a VM point of view, is nothing else than an anonymous static
> initializer method.

I hadn't thought it necessary to be so explicit, but okay:

class Clown {
static {
while(true) System.out.println("");
}
}

(Sigh.)

--
Eric Sosman
(E-Mail Removed)d

Daniele Futtorovic

Here's one: <http://physics.gu.se/LISEBERG/tf/loop.jpg>

--
DF.

Eric Sosman

On 7/22/2012 7:17 PM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
> In article <juerbe$qpi$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)d
> says...
>
>>> Which, from a VM point of view, is nothing else than an anonymous static
>>> initializer method.

>> I hadn't thought it necessary to be so explicit, but okay:
>>
>> class Clown {
>> static {
>> while(true) System.out.println("");
>> }
>> }
>>
>> (Sigh.)

> throw new JokeDetectorTemporallyUnavailableException("Brain on
> standby.");

In fairness, I suppose the expression "class clown" may be
an Americanism, a slang usage not covered in textbooks that even
the most assiduous and capable student might read. We all reveal
our insularities in a multitude of ways, and perhaps even more
obviously when we're trying to be "funny." Sorry for any offense.

--
Eric Sosman
(E-Mail Removed)d