Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Betamax to IPKall?

Betamax to IPKall?

Anthony R. Gold

If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

Harry Stottle

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

Is this a question, or a statement?

Graham.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:22:48 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.
>>

>Is this a question, or a statement?

It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
doubt if it's only me that sees that.

Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
last time I tried, so something has changed.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:22:48 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.
>>>

>> Is this a question, or a statement?

> It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
> doubt if it's only me that sees that.
>
> Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
> giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
> Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

And also the same success for me via Sipgate.

SIP response codes here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes

500 Server Internal Error

> ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
> last time I tried, so something has changed.

I wrote to VOIPCheap's CS and first got this response:

Dear Customer,

It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.

Kind regards,
Customer service

I then replied to ask what kind of technical problem and they replied:

Dear Customer,

It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.

Kind regards,
Customer service

Graham.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 22:46:52 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:22:48 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> Is this a question, or a statement?

>> It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
>> doubt if it's only me that sees that.
>>
>> Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
>> giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
>> Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

>And also the same success for me via Sipgate.
>
>SIP response codes here:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes
>
>500 Server Internal Error
>
>> ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
>> last time I tried, so something has changed.

>I wrote to VOIPCheap's CS and first got this response:
>
>Dear Customer,
>
>It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
>called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
>it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
>number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
>
>Kind regards,
>Customer service
>
>I then replied to ask what kind of technical problem and they replied:
>
>Dear Customer,
>
>It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
>called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
>it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
>number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
>
>Kind regards,
>Customer service

I wouldn't have bothered asking them.

Perhaps they don't route these calls via circuit switched PSTN
carriers at all, and use ENUM to look up the destination SIP address
and therefore keep the call 100% VoIP end-to-end. So it could be
incorrect mapping or even ipcall rejecting the call.

That's probably all *******s because I don't really understand this
stuff.

Gordon, where are you when I need you?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 22:46:52 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
>>> doubt if it's only me that sees that.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
>>> giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
>>> Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

>>And also the same success for me via Sipgate.
>>
>>SIP response codes here:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes
>>
>>500 Server Internal Error
>>
>>> ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
>>> last time I tried, so something has changed.

>>I wrote to VOIPCheap's CS and first got this response:
>>
>>Dear Customer,
>>
>>It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
>>called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
>>it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
>>number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>Customer service
>>
>>I then replied to ask what kind of technical problem and they replied:
>>
>>Dear Customer,
>>
>>It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
>>called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
>>it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
>>number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>Customer service

>I wouldn't have bothered asking them.
>
>Perhaps they don't route these calls via circuit switched PSTN
>carriers at all, and use ENUM to look up the destination SIP address
>and therefore keep the call 100% VoIP end-to-end. So it could be
>incorrect mapping or even ipcall rejecting the call.
>
>That's probably all *******s because I don't really understand this
>stuff.
>
>Gordon, where are you when I need you?

Oh still lurking...

So the issue is one ITSP not being able to call another ITSP.. Unless
they have an arrangement VoIP to VoIP, or other private interconnect
(starting with E1 lines, etc.) then the call has to go via the "default
route" ie. the PSTN... Which costs money.

And I'm suspecting that VoIP to VoIP peering is not actually favoured
because it's effectively free and who can make money out of free?

This is probably why ENUM is being slow to take off - imagine if everyone
had VoIP to VoIP peering, then none of the carriers would make any money
out of it, (they'd lose the termination fees) and telcos exist to make
(print) money...

So stick to Skype...

Gordon

Malcolm Loades

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anthony R. Gold
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

No change since early March then See this thread
http://tinyurl.com/camqn6r

Malcolm

Anthony R. Gold

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 18:38:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anthony R. Gold
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

> No change since early March then See this thread
> http://tinyurl.com/camqn6r
>
> Malcolm

May thanks for that.

Graham.

wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anthony R. Gold
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

>No change since early March then See this thread
>http://tinyurl.com/camqn6r
>
>Malcolm

I thought there was a ring of familiarity about the topic.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Incoming number on betamax companies RH UK VOIP 2 03-04-2006 10:29 AM
Finarea >>> Betamax paul123 UK VOIP 10 01-08-2006 12:23 PM
Hollywood is Trying to Kill Betamax! Why? Silichip DVD Video 74 09-21-2004 07:19 AM
Hollywood is Trying to Kill Betamax! Why? Silichip DVD Video 3 09-15-2004 06:26 PM
SD Cards = BetaMax? Rob Digital Photography 29 02-29-2004 07:07 PM

Advertisments