Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Oddball introduction of useless Removable Disks ????

Reply
Thread Tools

Oddball introduction of useless Removable Disks ????

 
 
Loony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012
Hello again Experts

I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
this Win 7.

It installed the following four "disks."

Removable Disk (H
Removable Disk (I
Removable Disk (J
Removable Disk (M

Every time I checked them, there was always
Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes

How to dump this useless garbage?

TIA





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012
Loony wrote:
> Hello again Experts
>
> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
> this Win 7.
>
> It installed the following four "disks."
>
> Removable Disk (H
> Removable Disk (I
> Removable Disk (J
> Removable Disk (M
>
> Every time I checked them, there was always
> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
> Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>
> How to dump this useless garbage?
>
> TIA


When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?

It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
on the front of the computer. Looks like this.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012

"Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello again Experts
>
> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of this
> Win 7.
>
> It installed the following four "disks."
>
> Removable Disk (H
> Removable Disk (I
> Removable Disk (J
> Removable Disk (M
>
> Every time I checked them, there was always
> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>
> How to dump this useless garbage?
>
> TIA
>
>




Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits into
your camera, for example.

The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is only
useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it is really
useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want to delete
these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card into the slot.


>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Loony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012
On 05/07/2012 16:05, Paul wrote:
> Loony wrote:
>> Hello again Experts
>>
>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
>> this Win 7.
>>
>> It installed the following four "disks."
>>
>> Removable Disk (H
>> Removable Disk (I
>> Removable Disk (J
>> Removable Disk (M
>>
>> Every time I checked them, there was always
>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>
>> How to dump this useless garbage?
>>
>> TIA

>
> When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?
>
> It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
> on the front of the computer. Looks like this.
>
> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$
>
> Paul



Thank you again Paul.

I have a device that has 4 slots for small cards or similar. They are

SmartMedia S/DMMC and
Compact Flash MS/MS Duo

I have had my present computer for about 18 months but I don't recall
having used or seen any such cards.

My computer is constantly visited by MSoft and they must have added the
following:

Removable Disk (H
Removable Disk (I
Removable Disk (J
Removable Disk (M

I had no reason to do it.

Thanks again
 
Reply With Quote
 
Loony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012
On 05/07/2012 17:13, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
> "Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello again Experts
>>
>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
>> this Win 7.
>>
>> It installed the following four "disks."
>>
>> Removable Disk (H
>> Removable Disk (I
>> Removable Disk (J
>> Removable Disk (M
>>
>> Every time I checked them, there was always
>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>
>> How to dump this useless garbage?
>>
>> TIA
>>


Thanks Jeff.

> Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
> SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits
> into your camera, for example.


I am way behind on cameras and many other things, with one Zeiss
Contaflex from decades back and a much more recent Canon-A1. These don't
take cards, so yes, I admit that I am behind the times.

> The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is
> only useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it
> is really useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want
> to delete these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card
> into the slot.


OK then, please advise what the name of this process is and what it
does. Then I'll head for Wikipedia.

Thank you

















 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012
Loony wrote:
> On 05/07/2012 16:05, Paul wrote:
>> Loony wrote:
>>> Hello again Experts
>>>
>>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
>>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
>>> this Win 7.
>>>
>>> It installed the following four "disks."
>>>
>>> Removable Disk (H
>>> Removable Disk (I
>>> Removable Disk (J
>>> Removable Disk (M
>>>
>>> Every time I checked them, there was always
>>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>>
>>> How to dump this useless garbage?
>>>
>>> TIA

>>
>> When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?
>>
>> It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
>> on the front of the computer. Looks like this.
>>
>> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$
>>
>> Paul

>
>
> Thank you again Paul.
>
> I have a device that has 4 slots for small cards or similar. They are
>
> SmartMedia S/DMMC and
> Compact Flash MS/MS Duo
>
> I have had my present computer for about 18 months but I don't recall
> having used or seen any such cards.
>
> My computer is constantly visited by MSoft and they must have added the
> following:
>
> Removable Disk (H
> Removable Disk (I
> Removable Disk (J
> Removable Disk (M
>
> I had no reason to do it.
>
> Thanks again


There's some kinda fix here. Done from Disk Management.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/14596...nnoyances.html

"From the Start menu, run diskmgmt.msc. Under Disk Management, you'll see all your drives.
Find the unused drives in the lower panel--they're listed with a drive letter,
a disk number, and a 'No Media' designation. Right-click, select Change Drive Letter
and Paths, click Remove, click Yes, and say adios. Cool, no?"

You could always just unplug the USB cable to the card reader.
That is, if you never use it. Usually those things have a USB
connection to the motherboard. Switch off all power on the PC,
before adding or removing that cable (so you don't accidentally
touch the wrong pins etc). The 2x5 header connector, may not have
good protection against plugging in the wrong way. So all power
off, before working in there.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2012
Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just
there IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall
the card reader.


On 7/5/2012 3:37 PM, Loony wrote:
> On 05/07/2012 17:13, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> "Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello again Experts
>>>
>>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
>>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
>>> this Win 7.
>>>
>>> It installed the following four "disks."
>>>
>>> Removable Disk (H
>>> Removable Disk (I
>>> Removable Disk (J
>>> Removable Disk (M
>>>
>>> Every time I checked them, there was always
>>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>>
>>> How to dump this useless garbage?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>
> Thanks Jeff.
>
>> Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
>> SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits
>> into your camera, for example.

>
> I am way behind on cameras and many other things, with one Zeiss
> Contaflex from decades back and a much more recent Canon-A1. These don't
> take cards, so yes, I admit that I am behind the times.
>
>> The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is
>> only useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it
>> is really useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want
>> to delete these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card
>> into the slot.

>
> OK then, please advise what the name of this process is and what it
> does. Then I'll head for Wikipedia.
>
> Thank you



 
Reply With Quote
 
Loony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2012
On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
> Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
> IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
> card reader.


Hello Bville,

I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the
Win 7 swallowed it?
The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
made the mess

> On 7/5/2012 3:37 PM, Loony wrote:
>> On 05/07/2012 17:13, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>>
>>> "Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hello again Experts
>>>>
>>>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable
>>>> Disks
>>>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
>>>> this Win 7.
>>>>
>>>> It installed the following four "disks."
>>>>
>>>> Removable Disk (H
>>>> Removable Disk (I
>>>> Removable Disk (J
>>>> Removable Disk (M
>>>>
>>>> Every time I checked them, there was always
>>>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
>>>>
>>>> How to dump this useless garbage?
>>>>
>>>> TIA
>>>>

>>
>> Thanks Jeff.
>>
>>> Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
>>> SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits
>>> into your camera, for example.

>>
>> I am way behind on cameras and many other things, with one Zeiss
>> Contaflex from decades back and a much more recent Canon-A1. These don't
>> take cards, so yes, I admit that I am behind the times.
>>
>>> The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is
>>> only useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it
>>> is really useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want
>>> to delete these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card
>>> into the slot.

>>
>> OK then, please advise what the name of this process is and what it
>> does. Then I'll head for Wikipedia.
>>
>> Thank you

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2012
Loony wrote:
> On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
>> Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
>> IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
>> card reader.

>
> Hello Bville,
>
> I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the
> Win 7 swallowed it?
> The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
> made the mess
>


A drive letter is reserved for them, as removable media devices.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Loony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2012
On 06/07/2012 11:03, Paul wrote:
> Loony wrote:
>> On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
>>> Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
>>> IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
>>> card reader.

>>
>> Hello Bville,
>>
>> I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the
>> Win 7 swallowed it?
>> The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
>> made the mess
>>

>
> A drive letter is reserved for them, as removable media devices.
>
> Paul


OK, thanks Paul. I give up on these until I get more time.
Have a great weekend
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oddball unexpected "you have mail" message richard Computer Support 2 12-09-2008 11:14 AM
Oddball Routing Issue secpgmr Cisco 21 01-03-2008 05:32 PM
Useless thread about some useless statistics Daniel Nogradi Python 0 11-15-2006 11:33 PM
Win XP Pro will not see HD (it says they're "removable disks") fds Computer Support 0 10-12-2005 06:16 PM
Good DVD Player for WMA DVD music disks or Nero digital audio disks DavidK DVD Video 0 09-06-2004 09:11 PM



Advertisments