Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > ant task keep basedir on include

ant task keep basedir on include

Greg

I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multiple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective build files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do Itell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own basedir and not the one of the importer?

Thanks!

Greg

markspace

On 7/2/2012 5:24 PM, Greg wrote:
> I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across
> multiple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own
> respective build files that are in their directory when they are
> called upon. How do I tell an imported task that I have put in a
> "depends" to use it's own basedir and not the one of the importer?

I think "it depends," but it sounds like you might want the subant task:

<http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/subant.html>

Note especially the second example at the bottom of that page. Is that
like what you are looking for?

Roedy Green

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:24:12 -0700 (PDT), Greg <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multi=
>ple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective b=
>uild files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do I=
> tell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own based=
>ir and not the one of the importer?

My solution to most ant problems is to use a stomper, a java program
that generates the ant scripts. That way I can get around many of
ant's limitations with verbosity. It also makes them much easier to
maintain. Any change you make is propagated to all your scripts.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 05:18:35 -0700, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:24:12 -0700 (PDT), Greg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>
>>I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multi=
>>ple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective b=
>>uild files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do I=
>> tell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own based=
>>ir and not the one of the importer?

>My solution to most ant problems is to use a stomper, a java program
>that generates the ant scripts. That way I can get around many of
>ant's limitations with verbosity. It also makes them much easier to
>maintain. Any change you make is propagated to all your scripts.

"stomper"? What a horrible name for something that generates
things, especially ant-related!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Roedy Green

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:04:28 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>

> "stomper"? What a horrible name for something that generates
>things, especially ant-related!

The term was coined by Hank van Tunen, a guy who worked on my team on
the first Mac app in Canada. It stomped out things like a machine
would impress coins.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
Why do so many operating systems refuse to define a standard
temporary file marking mechanism? It could be a reserved lead character
such as the ~ or a reserved extension such as .tmp.
It could be a file attribute bit. Because they refuse, there is no
fool-proof way to scan a disk for orphaned temporary files and delete them.
Further, you can't tell where the orhaned files ame from.
This means the hard disks gradually fill up with garbage.

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:10:35 -0700, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:04:28 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>

>> "stomper"? What a horrible name for something that generates
>>things, especially ant-related!

>The term was coined by Hank van Tunen, a guy who worked on my team on
>the first Mac app in Canada. It stomped out things like a machine
>would impress coins.

That would be "stamped" out.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Roedy Green

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:38:20 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>

> That would be "stamped" out.

see designed a boot logo, so HE meant stomped.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
Why do so many operating systems refuse to define a standard
temporary file marking mechanism? It could be a reserved lead character
such as the ~ or a reserved extension such as .tmp.
It could be a file attribute bit. Because they refuse, there is no
fool-proof way to scan a disk for orphaned temporary files and delete them.
Further, you can't tell where the orhaned files ame from.
This means the hard disks gradually fill up with garbage.

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 05:20:11 -0700, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:38:20 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>> That would be "stamped" out.

>see designed a boot logo, so HE meant stomped.

Ah.

"boot" as in worn: that is special use of the word in this
newsgroup!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Arne Vajh°j

On 7/3/2012 8:18 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:24:12 -0700 (PDT), Greg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multi=
>> ple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective b=
>> uild files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do I=
>> tell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own based=
>> ir and not the one of the importer?

> My solution to most ant problems is to use a stomper, a java program
> that generates the ant scripts. That way I can get around many of
> ant's limitations with verbosity. It also makes them much easier to
> maintain. Any change you make is propagated to all your scripts.

Create a new tool to generate input for another tool.

For a one time or a few times problem that is a great
solution.

But for a many time problem it is not the right solution.

Arne