Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone from Sweden into IR photo here?

Anyone from Sweden into IR photo here?

Sandman

I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.

Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?

--
Sandman[.net]

otter

On Jul 2, 2:27*am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
> option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
> pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
>
> Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
>
> --
> Sandman[.net]

What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
Sweden that does this.

Sandman

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2:27Â*am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
> > option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
> > pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
> >
> > Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
> >
> > --
> > Sandman[.net]

> What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
> I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
> Sweden that does this.

Haha

I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.

The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
should do.

--
Sandman[.net]

Rob

On 3/07/2012 3:41 PM, Sandman wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
>>> option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
>>> pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sandman[.net]

>> What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
>> I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
>> Sweden that does this.

> Haha
>
> I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
> calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
>
> The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
> costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
> fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
> fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
> should do.

Although this is out of date but maybe a reference. there are sites
which give you a DIY prospective.

http://khromagery.com.au/index.html

otter

On Jul 3, 12:41*am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 2:27*am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
> > > option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
> > > pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.

> > > Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?

> > > --
> > > Sandman[.net]

> > What camera were you thinking about doing this to? *For a cheap DSLR,
> > I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. *YOU could be the place in
> > Sweden that does this.

> Haha
>
> I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
> calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
>
> The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
> costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
> fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
> fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
> should do.
>
> --
> Sandman[.net]

These tutorials seem to spell out the process in detail for quite a
few cameras:
http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/i...-diy-tutorials

I thought you were going to convert an old camera you already own. If
you are going to buy a camera for the pupose, that adds to the cost,
of course, but you might want to consider just buying one that has
already been converted.

As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

Bear in mind that I have no experience in actually doing this, so take
this with a grain of salt. I've considered doing this in the past, but
never got around to it. Just giving some attention to an otherwise
neglected thread that seemed to be withering on the vine. If someone
has actual experience and wants to speak up, please do.

PeterN

On 7/3/2012 1:41 AM, Sandman wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
>>> option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
>>> pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sandman[.net]

>> What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
>> I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
>> Sweden that does this.

> Haha
>
> I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
> calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
>
> The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
> costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
> fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
> fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
> should do.

I paid a camera mechanic about fifty dollars to remove the IR filter.
While the results are not true infrared, I am quite satisfied.
this also appeared in the SI

<http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Landscapes/21271534_mw4B9R#!i=1730614889&k=WGpJLmN&lb=1&s=A>

--
Peter

Sandman

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
> > calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
> >
> > The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
> > costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
> > fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
> > fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
> > should do.

> These tutorials seem to spell out the process in detail for quite a
> few cameras:
> http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/i...-diy-tutorials

Yes, those are the ones I've been looking at.

> I thought you were going to convert an old camera you already own. If
> you are going to buy a camera for the pupose, that adds to the cost,
> of course, but you might want to consider just buying one that has
> already been converted.

I don't know if there is much IR conversion here in Sweden, not that I
know of. Finding a used one doesn't seem easy. I'll bid on some older
D50's and see if I can get one cheap. D70's usually get quite
expensive in auctions

> As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
> you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
> manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
> probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
manually, which probably also will be out of whack.

> Bear in mind that I have no experience in actually doing this, so take
> this with a grain of salt. I've considered doing this in the past, but
> never got around to it. Just giving some attention to an otherwise
> neglected thread that seemed to be withering on the vine. If someone
> has actual experience and wants to speak up, please do.

If I go through with it, I'll post about it here.

--
Sandman[.net]

RichA

On Jul 2, 3:27*am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
> option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
> pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
>
> Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
>
> --
> Sandman[.net]

Get a D70/s Nikon for $200, follow Lifepixel's instructions and remove
the IR filter. Use a wide angle lens (28mm or wider) and shoot at
f8.0 using the IR hyperfocal mark. You won't need the internal glass
plate to rectify focus, so no $170 charge.

otter

On Jul 4, 12:40*am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
> > you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
> > manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
> > probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

> Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
> see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
> have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
> manually, which probably also will be out of whack.

I've been playing with a Samyang 14mm, which is a manual focus lens.
Manual focusing is perhaps a lost art, but you get better with
practice. After a while, you judge distances better and learn where
to set the dial. Maybe focus confirmation would help, but I don't see
it as essential. People used to take pictures without that in the
past, after all.

PeterN

On 7/4/2012 9:31 AM, otter wrote:
> On Jul 4, 12:40 am, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
>>> you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
>>> manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
>>> probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

>> Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
>> see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
>> have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
>> manually, which probably also will be out of whack.

> I've been playing with a Samyang 14mm, which is a manual focus lens.
> Manual focusing is perhaps a lost art, but you get better with
> practice. After a while, you judge distances better and learn where
> to set the dial. Maybe focus confirmation would help, but I don't see
> it as essential. People used to take pictures without that in the
> past, after all.

Correct. I wonder how many still use hyperfocal distance focusing

--
Peter