Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: What does "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" really do?

Re: What does "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" really do?

Red Blade 7

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:52:11 -0400, Mike Trainor wrote:

> If I check the box that tell websites that I do not want to be
> tracked, I find that I cannot log into some sites, others
> pose challenge questions every time (I can just about
> understand this as they probably have no chance to
> 'recognizing' me) and I cannot even log into my wireless
> router.
>
> My bank can remember me as long as I do not close
> Firefox. Once I shut it down (using Exit) and get
> a new browser window, I will have to answer the
> challenge questions.
>
> The router is really puzzling.
>
> Can anyone tell me what this option really does?

"Do Not Track" affects only participating sites, and from what I hear, not
too many sites now, but will grow over time.

As for your router, could this have something to do with it?

http://techtech.slashdot.org/story/1...story-tracking

--
Red Blade 7

President of alt.politics, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, & talk.politics.misc
Fanfiction Committee Chairman of alt.tv.beavis-n-butthead

John Doe

Mike Trainor <mtrainor hotmail.com> wrote:

> What I meant was that the behaviour of the *browser* is really
> puzzling. Actually, ever since I monkeyed with it, my bank does
> not 'recognise' me and asks a challege question.

I think having "delete [stuff] on exit" might cause that.