Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Code Cracker is blank

Code Cracker is blank

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5003f9af$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 16/07/12 15:56, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) >
>> wrote in message news:jtl7be$aq0$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account
>>> numbers we regularly send others include the bank and branch
>>> information.
>>>

>> Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That
>> would give them a clue that there wouldn't be much money in there.
>>

> OK, firstly I don't think that anyone is trying to get your credit card
> information.
>
> Secondly, the credit card number only has encoded information
> about the bank that issues it and the credit card account. It doesn't have
> your name or the expiry date or the special number on the back of the
> credit card and those are needed to remove money from your account.
>
> What Bruce was talking about is something slightly different - the codes
> that are used to identify the bank that has your account. This information
> can be given to anyone and they can only put money *into* your account.
> The exception to this is if *you* set up an auto payment or direct debit
> with some organisation, but only that organisation is allowed to receive
> money from your account.
>
> I looked at the Trend Micro message that you gave. It appears to be part
> of a thing called "Data Theft Protection" and only affects outgoing data.
> If I am right you put your credit card number into a website sometime,
> maybe when you paid the Trend Micro license, and Trend remembered it.
> However it may not have stored *all* of the credit card number, perhaps
> only 4 characters of it, like "1028". If your outgoing request
> coincidentally contains "1028" you will get a warning, even thought the
> rest of the number was not sent. There may be many reasons why the page
> you submit happens to contains "1028". Maybe it was part of a date
> ("20091028").
>
> I saw many questions on this on the Trend web site, most of which were
> question about how to turn the notifications off! I would say don't worry
> about it, and just ignore the warnings.
>
> "Frank Williams" in another post says (correctly) that the only way for
> someone to steal your credit card number would be to trick you into going
> to a fake site that tricked you into supplying your credit card number,
> but in that case you wouldn't keep getting messages like you do.
>
> I'm almost certain that you are safe.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thank you. I expect the four characters are what did it, as you say.
The warnings are a bit of a nuisance when they keep appearing, but I'll
ignore them.

I don't believe in using credit cards, but it's the only way with some
payments on the computer. I don't like having to pay $24 a year just to have
the card for about four purchases a year, but as the bank pays it off and I
never pay any interest I suppose I'm on a winner.

Geopelia

Geopelia

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:ju2b15$qkb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <5003f9af$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>"Frank Williams" in another post says (correctly) that the only way for
>>someone to steal your credit card number would be to trick you into
>>going to a fake site that tricked you into supplying your credit card
>>number, but in that case you wouldn't keep getting messages like you do.

> Easiest way to get someone's credit card/other financial and personal data
> is to go through their rubbish. I continue to be amazed how much
> apparently
> sensitive information many/most people are prepared to toss into recycling
> or rubbish.
>

>>I'm almost certain that you are safe.

> Agreed.

Anyone wanting to see my credit card number in the rubbish would have had to
go through full supermarket bags of advertising leaflets to find it. (Does
anybody read all that junk?)
But now the number isn't shown on the bank statement, so they would be out
of luck anyway.

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> Anyone wanting to see my credit card number in the rubbish would have
>> had to go through full supermarket bags of advertising leaflets to
>> find it. (Does anybody read all that junk?)

> Only if it looks relevant to something I want. Surely you RECYCLE it ?

Of course. I get a couple of bags full every week. And somebody uses the
newspapers.

>> But now the number isn't shown on the bank statement, so they would
>> be out of luck anyway.

> Somebody can have your CC number and/or bank number and it does not make
> you vulnerable to anything.
>
> Can we drop this tiresome misguided thread now ? There must be something
> more interesting than over-enthusiastic computer security apps !
>

> geoff

I answer what people ask me.

Code Cracker missing Geopelia NZ Computing 5 10-08-2010 01:22 PM
Brute force sudoku cracker Bas Python 21 09-23-2005 05:10 AM
"Cracker" (US version) The Complete Series DVD? Mr. Pope John Hole III DVD Video 4 06-24-2005 05:42 PM
Re: Cracker has run of T-Mobile Servers for almost a YEAR! Knotweed Simnia Computer Support 0 01-12-2005 02:11 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: CRACKER: SERIES 1, THE LON CHANEY COLLECTION, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 12-18-2003 10:05 AM

Advertisments