Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Code Cracker is blank

Code Cracker is blank

Geopelia

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jsuphl$gmp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4ff0f64e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 02/07/12 02:26, Geopelia wrote:
>>> "Robin Halligan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:jsp82k$80k$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I haven't stored the number, but I have had to use the credit card
>>> for the odd purchase. I always use cash or a cheque whenever possible
>>> though, and never take the card shopping. The bank pays it off
>>> automatically each month, if there is ever a purchase on it.
>>>
>>> Adobe often updates, and I have to restart the computer.
>>>
>>> I never mind what people say. I've been called all sorts of names on
>>> nz.general and other groups.
>>>

>> If that is all that you use it for, it is unlikely that it is stored
>> directly anywhere on your computer. It might be stored indirectly (eg if
>> you have cause to write a letter to your bank about your credit card and
>> you create the letter on the computer), or if you receive and keep your
>> credit card statements online. But it is highly unlikely.
>>
>> What made you think that someone was after your credit card details? What
>> did Trend say exactly?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

> I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the
> computer. My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a
> great arrangement, very handy in wet weather).
>
> A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has been
> blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of
> attempts, it was up to 36 at one stage.
> Perhaps it was just a computer problem.
>
> I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
> It blocked 12 web threats last month.
> Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is dangerous
> and has been blocked.
>
> If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

Here you are:

Transfer of protected data blocked. Data theft protection has stopped
protected data from leaving this computer. If you need to send out the
information you can disable this protection temporarily.
Category Credit Card
OK

Geopelia

Enkidu

On 04/07/12 02:11, Geopelia wrote:
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jsuphl$gmp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4ff0f64e$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If that is all that you use it for, it is unlikely that it is stored
>>> directly anywhere on your computer. It might be stored indirectly (eg if
>>> you have cause to write a letter to your bank about your credit card and
>>> you create the letter on the computer), or if you receive and keep your
>>> credit card statements online. But it is highly unlikely.
>>>
>>> What made you think that someone was after your credit card details? What
>>> did Trend say exactly?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Cliff
>>>

>> I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the
>> computer. My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a
>> great arrangement, very handy in wet weather).
>>
>> A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has been
>> blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of
>> attempts, it was up to 36 at one stage.
>> Perhaps it was just a computer problem.
>>
>> I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
>> It blocked 12 web threats last month.
>> Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is dangerous
>> and has been blocked.
>>
>> If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

> Here you are:
>
> Transfer of protected data blocked. Data theft protection has stopped
> protected data from leaving this computer. If you need to send out the
> information you can disable this protection temporarily.
> Category Credit Card
> OK

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure how they would do that, (get your CC
information). That's an advantage of a debit card that I hadn't thought
of - if they get your debit card info they can only beggar you. If they
get your CC info, they can put you into debt!

Your computer man could possibly tell if you have somehow saved your CC
info in your browser, somehow, but I doubt that you have.

Cheers,

Cliff

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4ff404c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 04/07/12 02:11, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jsuphl$gmp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4ff0f64e$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the
>>> computer. My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a
>>> great arrangement, very handy in wet weather).
>>>
>>> A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has
>>> been
>>> blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of
>>> attempts, it was up to 36 at one stage.
>>> Perhaps it was just a computer problem.
>>>
>>> I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
>>> It blocked 12 web threats last month.
>>> Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is
>>> dangerous
>>> and has been blocked.
>>>
>>> If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

>> Here you are:
>>
>> Transfer of protected data blocked. Data theft protection has stopped
>> protected data from leaving this computer. If you need to send out the
>> information you can disable this protection temporarily.
>> Category Credit Card
>> OK
> >

> Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure how they would do that, (get your CC
> information). That's an advantage of a debit card that I hadn't thought
> of - if they get your debit card info they can only beggar you. If they
> get your CC info, they can put you into debt!
>
> Your computer man could possibly tell if you have somehow saved your CC
> info in your browser, somehow, but I doubt that you have.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I haven't knowingly saved it, but perhaps somebody has got it from something
I bought on line.

But from the number of attempts to get it one after the other, about 40 in
total, I suspect it is just a computer program that attacks random people in
hopes.
Or it could be whatever was stopping the letters appearing in code cracker,
sunspots perhaps? I think there were a lot of problems in America around
that time.

It seems to have stopped now, just one or two attempts recently.

Jonathan Ah Kit

On 4/07/2012 4:54 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
> On 04/07/12 02:11, Geopelia wrote:
>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jsuphl$gmp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure how they would do that, (get your CC
> information). That's an advantage of a debit card that I hadn't thought
> of - if they get your debit card info they can only beggar you. If they
> get your CC info, they can put you into debt!
>
> Your computer man could possibly tell if you have somehow saved your CC
> info in your browser, somehow, but I doubt that you have.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

But… wouldn’t they also cause you to not have enough – with the debit
card – to buy stuff at the supermarket for the weekend?

At least with the credit card, one has some chance of them not
completely clearing out to the credit limit, plus presumably the bank or
credit union will temporarily wipe the transactions’ effect while they
investigate the fraud.

Did you Geopelia have one of those antivirus programs that look for
certain digits that form part of your credit card number? I remember
that McAfee, NIS or another program did that several years ago, asking
me for four or five digits of my card numbers.

Ka kite ano,
Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Ah Kit – 814-753-4424 – Wilkes-Barre, PA – Lower Hutt, NZ
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)(E-Mail Removed)

Enkidu

On 10/07/12 10:33, Geopelia wrote:

> I don't remember Trend Micro doing that, but how would anybody get the rest
> of the number? They would need to know which credit card it is, Mastercard,
> Diners etc.

There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
the issuer.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <4ffd4669$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 10/07/12 10:33, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>> I don't remember Trend Micro doing that, but how would anybody get the rest
>> of the number? They would need to know which credit card it is, Mastercard,
>> Diners etc.
> >

>There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
>the issuer.

Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account numbers
we regularly send others include the bank and branch information.

Geopelia

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:jtl7be$aq0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <4ffd4669$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 10/07/12 10:33, Geopelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't remember Trend Micro doing that, but how would anybody get the
>>> rest
>>> of the number? They would need to know which credit card it is,
>>> Mastercard,
>>> Diners etc.
>> >

>>There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
>>the issuer.

> Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account numbers
> we regularly send others include the bank and branch information.

Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That would
give them a clue that
there wouldn't be much money in there.

Frank Williams

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:56:42 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>in message news:jtl7be$aq0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <4ffd4669$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
>>>the issuer.

>> Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account numbers
>> we regularly send others include the bank and branch information.
>>

>Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That would
>give them a clue that
>there wouldn't be much money in there.

This all *******s they can only get your card number if you are on a
Fake site or a Key Loger on your system, if you have a decent 2 way
firewall that will not happend the software that you are using is listed
as Crap..

Enkidu

On 16/07/12 15:56, Geopelia wrote:
> "Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) >
> wrote in message news:jtl7be$aq0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <4ffd4669$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo,
>>> including the issuer.

>> Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account
>> numbers we regularly send others include the bank and branch
>> information.
>>

> Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That
> would give them a clue that there wouldn't be much money in there.

OK, firstly I don't think that anyone is trying to get your credit card
information.

Secondly, the credit card number only has encoded information
about the bank that issues it and the credit card account. It doesn't
have your name or the expiry date or the special number on the back of
the credit card and those are needed to remove money from your account.

What Bruce was talking about is something slightly different - the codes
that are used to identify the bank that has your account. This
information can be given to anyone and they can only put money *into*
your account. The exception to this is if *you* set up an auto payment
or direct debit with some organisation, but only that organisation is
allowed to receive money from your account.

I looked at the Trend Micro message that you gave. It appears to be part
of a thing called "Data Theft Protection" and only affects outgoing
data. If I am right you put your credit card number into a website
sometime, maybe when you paid the Trend Micro license, and Trend
remembered it. However it may not have stored *all* of the credit card
number, perhaps only 4 characters of it, like "1028". If your outgoing
request coincidentally contains "1028" you will get a warning, even
thought the rest of the number was not sent. There may be many reasons
why the page you submit happens to contains "1028". Maybe it was part of
a date ("20091028").

I saw many questions on this on the Trend web site, most of which were
question about how to turn the notifications off! I would say don't
worry about it, and just ignore the warnings.

"Frank Williams" in another post says (correctly) that the only way for
someone to steal your credit card number would be to trick you into
going to a fake site that tricked you into supplying your credit card
number, but in that case you wouldn't keep getting messages like you do.

I'm almost certain that you are safe.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <5003f9af$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>"Frank Williams" in another post says (correctly) that the only way for
>someone to steal your credit card number would be to trick you into
>going to a fake site that tricked you into supplying your credit card
>number, but in that case you wouldn't keep getting messages like you do.

Easiest way to get someone's credit card/other financial and personal data
is to go through their rubbish. I continue to be amazed how much apparently
sensitive information many/most people are prepared to toss into recycling
or rubbish.

>I'm almost certain that you are safe.

Agreed.

Code Cracker missing Geopelia NZ Computing 5 10-08-2010 01:22 PM
Brute force sudoku cracker Bas Python 21 09-23-2005 05:10 AM
"Cracker" (US version) The Complete Series DVD? Mr. Pope John Hole III DVD Video 4 06-24-2005 05:42 PM
Re: Cracker has run of T-Mobile Servers for almost a YEAR! Knotweed Simnia Computer Support 0 01-12-2005 02:11 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: CRACKER: SERIES 1, THE LON CHANEY COLLECTION, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 12-18-2003 10:05 AM

Advertisments