Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Wow! I thought the Nikon was pricey (35mm f1.4)

Wow! I thought the Nikon was pricey (35mm f1.4)

RichA

nick c

On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...item41675b97b4

Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. )

Rob

On 29/06/2012 9:57 AM, nick c wrote:
> On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...item41675b97b4
>>

> Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. )

or the price should be in HK dollars. That should take the zero off the
end.

RichA

On Jun 28, 7:57*pm, nick c <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
>
> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...f-1-4-black-Pa...

> Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. *)

As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
records broken, despite the economy.

otter

On Jun 28, 5:13*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...f-1-4-black-Pa...

Goes to show they can ask any price they want. See if it sells.

David J Taylor

"RichA" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...item41675b97b4
==================

At least it's free shipping! <G>

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 28, 7:57*pm, nick c <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...f-1-4-black-Pa...

>> Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. *)

>As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
>and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
>records broken, despite the economy.

I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses. Despite the demise of film, the
market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.

However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
North America and Japan. Now, the market has swung east and is
dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
Japan.

Bruce

nick c <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 6/28/2012 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Leica-L...item41675b97b4
>>

>Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. )

The sad thing about this $61,300 offering is that the lens isn't
exactly optically excellent to start with. Leica's 35mm f/1.4
Summilux was very soft wide open and didn't sharpen up across the
frame until f/4-f/5.6. Its contemporary 35mm f/2 Summicron (a.k.a.
the King of Bokeh) was a much better performer and was a lot sharper
at f/2 than the Summilux.

There have since been three successive versions of the Summilux, all
with aspherical element(s) and they are optically far superior to the
one advertised. The first of these was hand made as the design didn't
suit series production.

The second, which I use, is spectacularly sharp on film at all
apertures including wide open but exhibits a slight focus shift when
stopped down. In most cases this won't be noticed because the
increased depth of field more than covers the focus shift, but Leica
has renewed the design for digital and it has near-zero focus shift.
That's the one that costs $6950.

No doubt it is a superlative lens, but I find mine more than adequate.
The used value of mine is about US $4000.

RichA

On Jun 29, 6:02*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Give up the black finish and voila, ya get the $6,950.00 version. *)

> >As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
> >and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
> >records broken, despite the economy.

> I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
> cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses. *Despite the demise of film, the
> market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.
>
> However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
> Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
> North America and Japan. *Now, the market has swung east and is
> dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
> Japan.

At used camera auctions in Toronto, a lot of the buyers are purchasing
to export to Mainland China.

Rob

On 29/06/2012 10:50 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Jun 29, 6:02 am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> As the wealthy turn their backs on traditional investments like stocks
>>> and bonds, the world of art and tangible collectables continues to see
>>> records broken, despite the economy.

>> I buy and sell quite a lot of collectable equipment, mainly Alpa
>> cameras, Kern and Angenieux lenses. Despite the demise of film, the
>> market for Alpa 35mm film bodies has held up surprisingly well.
>>
>> However, there has been a steady and significant change in the market.
>> Five years ago, most of my buyers were in Western Europe with a few in
>> North America and Japan. Now, the market has swung east and is
>> dominated by buyers from Hong Kong with a few in mainland China and
>> Japan.

> At used camera auctions in Toronto, a lot of the buyers are purchasing
> to export to Mainland China.

Was in Hong Kong couple of weeks ago and tried to buy some old Chinese
made SLR and range finder cameras from a junk bin condition very poor. -
they wanted something like $120 - $150 each ridiculous prices where you
should be able to pick them up for $15-20 each