Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > A cheap or free version of VHDL?

A cheap or free version of VHDL?

Robert Miles

Is there a cheap or free version of VHDL? I'm interested in learning VHDL before applying for some local jobs that require it.

I'm mainly interested in a version that will run under 64-bit Windows 7.

HT-Lab

On 27/06/2012 07:21, Robert Miles wrote:
> Is there a cheap or free version of VHDL? I'm interested in learning VHDL before applying for some local jobs that require it.
>
> I'm mainly interested in a version that will run under 64-bit Windows 7.

Given that you are after both VHDL and SystemVerilog I would suggest you
download the Altera Web Edition which includes an OEM version of
Modelsim 10.0d. You can use if for VHDL and SystemVerilog but not at the
same time (mixed simulation).

https://www.altera.com/download/soft...m-starter/12.0

However, I would also suggest you look into getting some professional
training from the likes of Synthwork(US, VHDL), Doulos(worldwide, all)
and many others. There is no quicker or IMHO better way to get up to
speed with a language.

Good luck,
Hans.
www.ht-lab.com

Robert Miles

Thanks. I've contacted both training companies, and downloaded the installer for GHDL.

I'll look at what's available from all three before deciding which to use.

I've already done ASIC design simulation with three other simulators, just not including the right ones for the local jobs.