Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > IrfanView Plugins

Reply
Thread Tools

IrfanView Plugins

 
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2012
Our discussion in the parallel thread 'Can this be done in IrfanView'
reminded me that I knew very little about IrfanView plugins. Apart from
the video plugin that is apparently responsible for playing some of my
files, and that 'lossless rotation' thing, I'm not particularly aware of
consciously using any.

That prompted me to look at IrfanView > Help > Installed Plugins. I see I
have no fewer than 65 of them!

Presumably these all doing something useful in the background, or *could*
if called upon to do so? And I suppose there are extra plugins I could
download and use.

For example, in the course of trying to find Irwell's RGBSpot I found
something called 'Soft Vignette' which I downloaded. All I've done so far
is copy the file here

C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\softvignette.8bf

in the vague hope that IrfanView would suddenly develop a new feature
allowing me to apply that effect, but obviously that was over simplistic
because I see no change.

I've uploaded it here if anyone else is interested:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/softvignette.8bf

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Yrrah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2012
Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Our discussion in the parallel thread 'Can this be done in IrfanView'
> reminded me that I knew very little about IrfanView plugins. Apart from
> the video plugin that is apparently responsible for playing some of my
> files, and that 'lossless rotation' thing, I'm not particularly aware of
> consciously using any.


Install/keep what you need, get rid of what you don't need.

http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm

<http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-cool-irfanview-plugins-enhance-simple-image-editor/>

<http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pluginsfilterseffects/a/plugins-in-irfanview.htm>

http://www.mitalia.net/irfanpaint/

Yrrah
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2012
Yrrah <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Our discussion in the parallel thread 'Can this be done in IrfanView'
>> reminded me that I knew very little about IrfanView plugins. Apart from
>> the video plugin that is apparently responsible for playing some of my
>> files, and that 'lossless rotation' thing, I'm not particularly aware of
>> consciously using any.

>
>Install/keep what you need, get rid of what you don't need.
>
>http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm
>
>http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm
>
><http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-cool-irfanview-plugins-enhance-simple-image-editor/>
>
><http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pluginsfilterseffects/a/plugins-in-irfanview.htm>
>
>http://www.mitalia.net/irfanpaint/
>
>Yrrah


Thanks, had seen the IV pages but studying the rest now.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2012
David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:50:37 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>For example, in the course of trying to find Irwell's RGBSpot I found
>>something called 'Soft Vignette' which I downloaded. All I've done so far
>>is copy the file here
>>
>>C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\softvignette.8bf
>>
>>in the vague hope that IrfanView would suddenly develop a new feature
>>allowing me to apply that effect, but obviously that was over simplistic
>>because I see no change.
>>
>>I've uploaded it here if anyone else is interested:
>>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/softvignette.8bf

>
>From the help file:
>* 1. 8BF_FILTERS.DLL - This PlugIn allows IrfanView to load Adobe
>Photoshop 8BF filters.
>Note: some older/special 8BFs may require additional system DLLs.
>You can download these DLLs here:
>http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/plugins/8bf_tools.zip
>Copy/unzip these DLLs into your Windows->System or System32 folder.
>
>Open image; Crtl+K opens Adobe 8bf dialog; click Add 8bf filters and
>navigate to C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\; click OK
>
>Filters should then work.


Thanks David. Penny finally dropped about 30 mins ago, as per my reply to
Irwell.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Freeman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2012
Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> For example, in the course of trying to find Irwell's RGBSpot I found
> something called 'Soft Vignette' which I downloaded. All I've done so far
> is copy the file here
>
> C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\softvignette.8bf
>
> in the vague hope that IrfanView would suddenly develop a new feature
> allowing me to apply that effect, but obviously that was over simplistic
> because I see no change.


You need to go to Image > Effects > Adobe 8BF Filters and add it to the
list of available photoshop 8Bf filters if it isn't already shown. Then
double click it on the list. You can also import all your old photoshop
filters (I think newer ones don't work as Photoshop doesn't use the 8BF
format anymore).

You can also call up the 8BF filter list by pressing Ctrl-K in Irfanview.

All this assumes you have the 8BF_Filters.dll plugin installed which is
what makes the filters work under Irfanview, but by the sound of it you
have the whole set of plugins so it should be ok.

The Soft Vignette filter's default settings don't do much but if you reduce
the height/width settings a lot it seems to work ok and I think vignetting
is not an effect I already had available so it might come in useful at some
point.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
firefox plugins/extensions Anon Firefox 2 09-08-2004 11:27 AM
Plugins, Etc. Spike Firefox 4 09-02-2004 07:13 AM
How to swap plugins/extensions between 2 computer / various version of Mozilla Firefox? Chaos Master Firefox 0 07-10-2004 05:00 AM
plugins Davide Laneri Firefox 1 01-29-2004 09:46 AM
Java Plugins and Mozilla Doug Firefox 0 08-08-2003 05:52 AM



Advertisments