Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where thereis still python2.7 ?

Re: Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where thereis still python2.7 ?

Stefan Behnel

gmspro, 24.06.2012 05:46:
> Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?
>
> What's the benifit to make python3 over python2.7 ? I have read this though: http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/3.0.html
>
> What's wrong editing/customizing/changin python2.7 instead of making a seperate language?
>
> What's wrong working with python2.7?
>
> As python3 is not backward compatible, so many packages built on python2.7 will be gone someday. Or you have to re-write/upgrade to python3. That's a tedious/labourious task.
>
> So after 5 years will we get another python4 as seperate language?
>
> Any answer will be highly appreciated.

Note that this topic has been discussed in full and overly full length
several times on this list. You may want to read up on it in the archives.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling (posting suggestive questions with
well-known answers is a well established troll metier) or if you really
want an answer to your questions, but here's a short answer anyway.

The intention of Py3 was to deliberately break backwards compatibility in
order to clean up the language. The situation is not as bad as you seem to
think, a huge amount of packages have been ported to Python 3 already
and/or work happily with both language dialects. It's not an either-or kind
of thing, you can have both with a little effort.

And, no, there won't be a Py4 in 5 years. The established release time
frame is way longer.

Stefan

John Nagle

On 6/25/2012 1:36 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> gmspro, 24.06.2012 05:46:
>> Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?

> The intention of Py3 was to deliberately break backwards compatibility in
> order to clean up the language. The situation is not as bad as you seem to
> think, a huge amount of packages have been ported to Python 3 already
> and/or work happily with both language dialects.

The syntax changes in Python 3 are a minor issue for
serious programmers. The big headaches come from packages that
aren't being ported to Python 3 at all. In some cases, there's
a replacement package from another author that performs the
same function, but has a different API. Switching packages
involves debugging some new package with, probably, one
developer and a tiny user community.

The Python 3 to MySQL connection is still a mess.
The original developer of MySQLdb doesn't want to support
Python 3. There's "pymysql", but it hasn't been updated
since 2010 and has a long list of unfixed bugs.
There was a "MySQL-python-1.2.3-py3k" port by a third party,
but the domain that hosted it
("http://www.elecmor.mooo.com/python/MySQL-python-1.2.3-py3k.zip") is
dead. There's
MySQL for Python 3 (https://github.com/davispuh/MySQL-for-Python-3)
but it doesn't work on Windows. MySQL Connector
(https://code.launchpad.net/myconnpy) hasn't been updated in a
while, but at least has some users. OurSQL has a different
API than MySQLdb, and isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

That's why I'm still on Python 2.7.

John Nagle

Chris Angelico

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:08 AM, John Nagle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * *The Python 3 to MySQL connection is still a mess.
> The original developer of MySQLdb doesn't want to support
> Python 3.

This is where I would start asking: How hard is it to migrate to
another SQL database (eg Postgres)? That is, assuming that there's one
with proper Py3 support. But I would find it hard to believe that
there's _no_ good database with a Python 3 access module.

ChrisA

HoneyMonster

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:39:42 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:08 AM, John Nagle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> * *The Python 3 to MySQL connection is still a mess.
>> The original developer of MySQLdb doesn't want to support Python 3.

> This is where I would start asking: How hard is it to migrate to another
> SQL database (eg Postgres)? That is, assuming that there's one with
> proper Py3 support. But I would find it hard to believe that there's
> _no_ good database with a Python 3 access module.

psycopg2 (Python interface to PostgreSQL) supports Python 3.1 and 3.2 as
well as Python 2. It works superbly.

PostgreSQL is a far better database then MySQL anyway.