Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > cPickle - sharing pickled objects between scripts and imports

cPickle - sharing pickled objects between scripts and imports

Rotwang

Hi all, I have a module that saves and loads data using cPickle, and
I've encountered a problem. Sometimes I want to import the module and
use it in the interactive Python interpreter, whereas sometimes I want
to run it as a script. But objects that have been pickled by running the
module as a script can't be correctly unpickled by the imported module
and vice-versa, since how they get pickled depends on whether the
module's __name__ is '__main__' or 'mymodule' (say). I've tried to get
around this by adding the following to the module, before any calls to
cPickle.load:

if __name__ == '__main__':
import __main__
def load(f):
p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
def fg(m, c):
if m == 'mymodule':
return getattr(__main__, c)
else:
m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
return getattr(m, c)
p.find_global = fg
return p.load()
else:
def load(f):
p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
def fg(m, c):
if m == '__main__':
return globals()[c]
else:
m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
return getattr(m, c)
p.find_global = fg
return p.load()
cPickle.load = load
del load

It seems to work as far as I can tell, but I'll be grateful if anyone
knows of any circumstances where it would fail, or can suggest something
less hacky. Also, do cPickle.Pickler instances have some attribute
corresponding to find_global that lets one determine how instances get
pickled? I couldn't find anything about this in the docs.

--
Hate music? Then you'll hate this:

http://tinyurl.com/psymix

Peter Otten

Rotwang wrote:

> Hi all, I have a module that saves and loads data using cPickle, and
> I've encountered a problem. Sometimes I want to import the module and
> use it in the interactive Python interpreter, whereas sometimes I want
> to run it as a script. But objects that have been pickled by running the
> module as a script can't be correctly unpickled by the imported module
> and vice-versa, since how they get pickled depends on whether the
> module's __name__ is '__main__' or 'mymodule' (say). I've tried to get
> around this by adding the following to the module, before any calls to
> cPickle.load:
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> import __main__
> def load(f):
> p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
> def fg(m, c):
> if m == 'mymodule':
> return getattr(__main__, c)
> else:
> m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
> return getattr(m, c)
> p.find_global = fg
> return p.load()
> else:
> def load(f):
> p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
> def fg(m, c):
> if m == '__main__':
> return globals()[c]
> else:
> m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
> return getattr(m, c)
> p.find_global = fg
> return p.load()
> cPickle.load = load
> del load
>

> It seems to work as far as I can tell, but I'll be grateful if anyone
> knows of any circumstances where it would fail, or can suggest something
> less hacky. Also, do cPickle.Pickler instances have some attribute
> corresponding to find_global that lets one determine how instances get
> pickled? I couldn't find anything about this in the docs.

if __name__ == "__main__":
from mymodule import *

But I think it would be cleaner to move the classes you want to pickle into
another module and import that either from your main script or the
interpreter. That may also spare you some fun with unexpected isinstance()
results.

Dave Angel

On 06/23/2012 12:13 PM, Peter Otten wrote:
> Rotwang wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I have a module that saves and loads data using cPickle, and
>> I've encountered a problem. Sometimes I want to import the module and
>> use it in the interactive Python interpreter, whereas sometimes I want
>> to run it as a script. But objects that have been pickled by running the
>> module as a script can't be correctly unpickled by the imported module
>> and vice-versa, since how they get pickled depends on whether the
>> module's __name__ is '__main__' or 'mymodule' (say). I've tried to get
>> around this by adding the following to the module, before any calls to
>> cPickle.load:
>>
>> if __name__ == '__main__':
>> import __main__
>> def load(f):
>> p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
>> def fg(m, c):
>> if m == 'mymodule':
>> return getattr(__main__, c)
>> else:
>> m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
>> return getattr(m, c)
>> p.find_global = fg
>> return p.load()
>> else:
>> def load(f):
>> p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
>> def fg(m, c):
>> if m == '__main__':
>> return globals()[c]
>> else:
>> m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
>> return getattr(m, c)
>> p.find_global = fg
>> return p.load()
>> cPickle.load = load
>> del load
>>

>> It seems to work as far as I can tell, but I'll be grateful if anyone
>> knows of any circumstances where it would fail, or can suggest something
>> less hacky. Also, do cPickle.Pickler instances have some attribute
>> corresponding to find_global that lets one determine how instances get
>> pickled? I couldn't find anything about this in the docs.

> if __name__ == "__main__":
> from mymodule import *
>
> But I think it would be cleaner to move the classes you want to pickle into
> another module and import that either from your main script or the
> interpreter. That may also spare you some fun with unexpected isinstance()
> results.

I would second the choice to just move the code to a separately loaded
module, and let your script simply consist of an import and a call into
that module.

It can be very dangerous to have the same module imported two different
ways (as __main__ and as mymodule), so i'd avoid anything that came
close to that notion.

Your original problem is probably that you have classes with two leading
underscores, which causes the names to be mangled with the module name.
You could simply remove one of the underscores for all such names, and
see if the pickle problem goes away.

--

DaveA

Rotwang

Thanks.

--

On 23/06/2012 18:31, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 06/23/2012 12:13 PM, Peter Otten wrote:
>> Rotwang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, I have a module that saves and loads data using cPickle, and
>>> I've encountered a problem. Sometimes I want to import the module and
>>> use it in the interactive Python interpreter, whereas sometimes I want
>>> to run it as a script. But objects that have been pickled by running the
>>> module as a script can't be correctly unpickled by the imported module
>>> and vice-versa, since how they get pickled depends on whether the
>>> module's __name__ is '__main__' or 'mymodule' (say). I've tried to get
>>> around this by adding the following to the module, before any calls to
>>> cPickle.load:
>>>
>>> if __name__ == '__main__':
>>> import __main__
>>> def load(f):
>>> p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
>>> def fg(m, c):
>>> if m == 'mymodule':
>>> return getattr(__main__, c)
>>> else:
>>> m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
>>> return getattr(m, c)
>>> p.find_global = fg
>>> return p.load()
>>> else:
>>> def load(f):
>>> p = cPickle.Unpickler(f)
>>> def fg(m, c):
>>> if m == '__main__':
>>> return globals()[c]
>>> else:
>>> m = __import__(m, fromlist = [c])
>>> return getattr(m, c)
>>> p.find_global = fg
>>> return p.load()
>>> cPickle.load = load
>>> del load
>>>

>>> It seems to work as far as I can tell, but I'll be grateful if anyone
>>> knows of any circumstances where it would fail, or can suggest something
>>> less hacky. Also, do cPickle.Pickler instances have some attribute
>>> corresponding to find_global that lets one determine how instances get
>>> pickled? I couldn't find anything about this in the docs.

>> if __name__ == "__main__":
>> from mymodule import *
>>
>> But I think it would be cleaner to move the classes you want to pickle into
>> another module and import that either from your main script or the
>> interpreter. That may also spare you some fun with unexpected isinstance()
>> results.
>>

> I would second the choice to just move the code to a separately loaded
> module, and let your script simply consist of an import and a call into
> that module.
>
> It can be very dangerous to have the same module imported two different
> ways (as __main__ and as mymodule), so i'd avoid anything that came
> close to that notion.

OK, thanks.

> Your original problem is probably that you have classes with two leading
> underscores, which causes the names to be mangled with the module name.
> You could simply remove one of the underscores for all such names, and
> see if the pickle problem goes away.

No, I don't have any such classes. The problem is that if the object was
pickled by the module run as a script and then unpickled by the imported
module, the unpickler looks in __main__ rather than mymodule for the
object's class, and doesn't find it. Conversely if the object was
pickled by the imported module and then unpickled by the module run as a
script then the unpickler reloads the module and makes objects
referenced by the original object into instances of
mymodule.oneofmyclasses, whereas (for reasons unknown to me) the object
itself is an instance of __main__.anotheroneofmyclasses. This means that
any method of anotheroneofmyclasses that calls isinstance(attribute,
oneofmyclasses) doesn't work the way it should.

--
Hate music? Then you'll hate this:

http://tinyurl.com/psymix

Steven D'Aprano

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 19:14:43 +0100, Rotwang wrote:

> The problem is that if the object was
> pickled by the module run as a script and then unpickled by the imported
> module, the unpickler looks in __main__ rather than mymodule for the
> object's class, and doesn't find it.

Possibly the solution is as simple as aliasing your module and __main__.
Untested:

# When running as a script
import __main__
sys['mymodule'] = __main__

# When running interactively
import mymodule
__main__ = mymodule

of some variation thereof.

Note that a full solution to this problem actually requires you to deal
with three cases:

1) interactive interpreter, __main__ normally would be the interpreter
global scope

2) running as a script, __main__ is your script

3) imported into another module which is running as a script, __main__
would be that module.

In the last case, monkey-patching __main__ may very well break that
script.

--
Steven

Rotwang

On 24/06/2012 00:17, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 19:14:43 +0100, Rotwang wrote:
>
>> The problem is that if the object was
>> pickled by the module run as a script and then unpickled by the imported
>> module, the unpickler looks in __main__ rather than mymodule for the
>> object's class, and doesn't find it.

> Possibly the solution is as simple as aliasing your module and __main__.
> Untested:
>
> # When running as a script
> import __main__
> sys['mymodule'] = __main__

??? What is "sys" here?

> # When running interactively
> import mymodule
> __main__ = mymodule
>

> of some variation thereof.
>
> Note that a full solution to this problem actually requires you to deal
> with three cases:
>
> 1) interactive interpreter, __main__ normally would be the interpreter
> global scope
>
> 2) running as a script, __main__ is your script
>
> 3) imported into another module which is running as a script, __main__
> would be that module.

I had not thought of that.

> In the last case, monkey-patching __main__ may very well break that
> script.

My original solution will also cause problems in this case. Thanks.