Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > why you should not buy a Windows phone

why you should not buy a Windows phone

Dave Doe

In article <4fe78296$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
Enkidu says...

> On 24/06/12 22:54, Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article <4fe6efa6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed), Enkidu says...

> >> There was much more OS overlap in the computer market - several
> >> difference generations of hardware would run the same OS and
> >> software.

> > Sure, but with all due respect, we're talking phone here.
> >

> yeah, I know. My point was that PC software developers develop for more
> than one platform, so why can't phone software developers?

I think the main reason is that phones don't enjoy a reasonably common
hardware platform that PC's have enjoyed since 1981.

I remember my early PC days, on a TRS-80 - other computers around
(excepting mainframes of course) where the Commodore and a couple others
I can't remember anymore.

Then IBM released their PC blueprint - and *everything* changed.
Phones, for reasons that I think are reasonably obvious, will never go
that way anytime soon.

--
Duncan.

Enkidu

On 25/06/12 12:20, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <4fe78296$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Enkidu says...
>>
>> On 24/06/12 22:54, Dave Doe wrote:
>>> In article <4fe6efa6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed), Enkidu says...

>>> Sure, but with all due respect, we're talking phone here.
>>>

>> yeah, I know. My point was that PC software developers develop for more
>> than one platform, so why can't phone software developers?

> I think the main reason is that phones don't enjoy a reasonably common
> hardware platform that PC's have enjoyed since 1981.
>
> I remember my early PC days, on a TRS-80 - other computers around
> (excepting mainframes of course) where the Commodore and a couple others
> I can't remember anymore.
>
> Then IBM released their PC blueprint - and *everything* changed.
> Phones, for reasons that I think are reasonably obvious, will never go
> that way anytime soon.

There's only so many types of processor, ram and the rest that are used
in phones. I think that they can do it. Android runs on many sorts of
phones.

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
Enkidu says...

> On 25/06/12 12:20, Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article <4fe78296$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),

> >> yeah, I know. My point was that PC software developers develop for more
> >> than one platform, so why can't phone software developers?

> > I think the main reason is that phones don't enjoy a reasonably common
> > hardware platform that PC's have enjoyed since 1981.
> >
> > I remember my early PC days, on a TRS-80 - other computers around
> > (excepting mainframes of course) where the Commodore and a couple others
> > I can't remember anymore.
> >
> > Then IBM released their PC blueprint - and *everything* changed.
> > Phones, for reasons that I think are reasonably obvious, will never go
> > that way anytime soon.
> >

> There's only so many types of processor, ram and the rest that are used
> in phones. I think that they can do it. Android runs on many sorts of
> phones.

Sure it does. But my point is the *latest* Android does not.

--
Duncan.

sophietraore63@gmail.com