Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: emded revision control in Python application?

Re: emded revision control in Python application?

Emile van Sebille

On 6/22/2012 8:58 AM duncan smith said...
> Hello,
> I have an application that would benefit from collaborative working.
> Over time users construct a "data environment" which is a number of
> files in JSON format contained in a few directories

You don't say what your target platform is, but on linux I've done some
testing with python-fuse that allows interception on file access to take
whatever actions you like, in your case archive prior upon write.

Might be worth a look.

Emile

Emile van Sebille

On 6/22/2012 11:19 AM duncan smith said...
> On 22/06/12 17:42, Emile van Sebille wrote:
>> On 6/22/2012 8:58 AM duncan smith said...
>>> Hello,
>>> I have an application that would benefit from collaborative working.
>>> Over time users construct a "data environment" which is a number of
>>> files in JSON format contained in a few directories

So, will the users modify their local environment and you'd push the
revisions to a known location for redistribution? How might peer-to-peer
work? How would you know which peers get the change, or would all peers
get the change?

I've been working with rpyc (in as much spare time as I can manage) on
some similar sounding issues and am now settling on a central system
which provides convenient administration and potential relaying or
pulling. See http://rpyc.sourceforge.net/

I just tested my in-process development status and find 64 remote
machines up and 5 non-responsive which in my case are likely machines
that are not yet configured properly. As this has been on the back
burner the past two months I'm pleased with how it's fared in the face
of neglect.

At least with rpyc (which does have a low learning curve) you'll be
fully in python.

Emile