Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java claims WORA

Java claims WORA

owais

Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere). Do you agree with this statement that all java programs can be run anywhere (all platforms)? Can you identify a scenario where this claim may not hold true?

Robert Klemme

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:33:02 PM UTC+2, owais wrote:
> Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere). Do you agree with this statement that all java programs can be run anywhere (all platforms)? Can you identify a scenario where this claim may not hold true?

I find the question quite strange. Something tells me that you are asking a homework question... Oh, I see:
http://vusols.blogspot.de/

Please do your own research.

Cheers

robert

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:33:02 -0700 (PDT), owais <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere). Do you agree with this

statement that all java programs can be run anywhere (all platforms)?
Can you identify a scenario where this claim may not hold true?

Since it is your homework, how about you do it?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Lew

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:33:02 AM UTC-7, owais wrote:
> Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere). Do you agree with this statement that all java programs can be run anywhere (all platforms)? Can you identify a scenario where this claim may not hold true?

It is spelled "Java".

I am not aware of a Java port to the PDP-8.

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j

On 6/20/2012 11:33 AM, owais wrote:
> Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere). Do you agree with this statement that all java programs can be run anywhere (all platforms)? Can you identify a scenario where this claim may not hold true?

Java programs written and build for a specific Java version will run
where that Java version or is available (and typical also if a newer
version is available).

Java is available for all the most common platforms.

Arne

glen herrmannsfeldt

Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6/20/2012 11:33 AM, owais wrote:
>> Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere).

> Do you agree with this statement

(snip)

> Java programs written and build for a specific Java version will run
> where that Java version or is available (and typical also if a newer
> version is available).

> Java is available for all the most common platforms.

So common, but not all.

Is there Java for VAX/VMS?
As I understand it, there are web browsers that run on VMS.

Java requires IEEE floating point, so it tends not to be available
on hosts that have a different floating point format.

Most likely never for, for example, the IBM 7090. (Which would
be batch mode, and not browser/applet, but still.)

-- glen

Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 21:45:00 +0000, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

> Most likely never for, for example, the IBM 7090. (Which would be batch
> mode, and not browser/applet, but still.)

More to the point, are any still running?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Robert Klemme

On 21.06.2012 00:25, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 21:45:00 +0000, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>
>> Most likely never for, for example, the IBM 7090. (Which would be batch
>> mode, and not browser/applet, but still.)
>>

> More to the point, are any still running?

Probably: there's nobody around any more who knows how to switch them off...

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Arne Vajh°j

> Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 6/20/2012 11:33 AM, owais wrote:
>>> Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere).

>> Do you agree with this statement

> (snip)
>
>> Java programs written and build for a specific Java version will run
>> where that Java version or is available (and typical also if a newer
>> version is available).

>> Java is available for all the most common platforms.

> So common, but not all.

Yep.

> Is there Java for VAX/VMS?
> As I understand it, there are web browsers that run on VMS.

VMS Alpha and VMS Itanium: yes

VMS VAX: no

But it is 20 years since Alpha came out.

> Java requires IEEE floating point, so it tends not to be available
> on hosts that have a different floating point format.

That is supposed to be the reason why VAX did not get Java.

But they could have emulated IEEE FP if they wanted to.

Arne

Roedy Green

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:33:02 -0700 (PDT), owais <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Java claims WORA (write once and run anywhere).
>Do you agree with this statement that all java programs
>can be run anywhere (all platforms)? Can you identify a
>scenario where this claim may not hold true?

The caveats are:

1. If your code is written for Java 1,7 you must have a Java 1.7+
runtime. It might not be available for a given platform.

2. a given JVM might have a bug that stops some particular program
from working.

3. If you use JNI, you must have the appropriate native code for the
given platform.

4. Java does requires the programmer to handle the WORA stuff
explicitly for file names and line separators and encodings. Simple
programs will work fine, but more complex ones must be aware.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Font WORA blues. Roedy Green Java 5 07-29-2008 12:09 AM
Re: WORA high performance Tom Anderson Java 2 05-31-2008 11:41 PM
Mac WORA Roedy Green Java 15 05-18-2008 02:42 PM
Is it legal to write an logical equation for a FPGA LUT in claims of a patent? Weng Tianxiang VHDL 12 12-10-2005 03:49 PM
PC Clock (was Re: "The phoneme concept" [.--. -.. was: Re: Claims [was: Re: Drifting phonemes [was: Re: The AmE 'o' sound]]]) Adrian Bailey Firefox 2 11-18-2004 08:04 AM

Advertisments