Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Software to check if images are blurred

Re: Software to check if images are blurred

tony cooper

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 01:10:16 +0200, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>tony cooper writes:
>
>> This one, submitted to the SI as Abstract Pinwheels recently, would be
>> deleted by an automatic blur-seeking program. But, the result was
>> intentional.
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...mjzK7S8-XL.jpg

>I like it. Was it photoshopped in any way?

I shoot RAW, adjust Temperature, Exposure, Recovery, Blacks, Clarity
and Vibrance as needed if needed. I really don't remember if any of
those adjustments were made in this image. I then open an image in
Photoshop CS4 and adjust Levels and Contrast as needed if needed.
Again, I don't remember if any those adjustments where made, but I
probably brought in the Levels on both sides. Then I crop, select all,
and add the border stroke.

No alterations were made, though. Just adjustments if they were
needed. It's a pretty simple image using a slow shutter speed and
some deliberate jiggling to make everything blurry.

>I agree that it's an excellent example of a great photo that would be
>improperly binned by any automatic "blur-detecting" program.

It was done intentionally, so no anti-blur program would be used if I
had one.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

David Dyer-Bennet

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> tony cooper writes:
>
>> This one, submitted to the SI as Abstract Pinwheels recently, would be
>> deleted by an automatic blur-seeking program. But, the result was
>> intentional.
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...mjzK7S8-XL.jpg

> I like it. Was it photoshopped in any way?
>
> I agree that it's an excellent example of a great photo that would be
> improperly binned by any automatic "blur-detecting" program.

I wouldn't use a "blur-detecting program" to automatically bin
everything it detected.

But I would use it -- if it agreed with my eye on degree of blur, anyway
.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David J Taylor

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David, DO try to use the same quoting style as everyone else here.
That may not be a hard rule where you go to jail for breaking it.
Few social rules are. But those who ignore them do so at their
own peril.
================================

Yes, it's not as I would like. Unfortunately the upgrade from Windows Live
Mail 2009 to 2011 removed the standard quoting format which I had previously
enjoyed. I still like having e-mail, News, and RSS in one package, and have
to find a package I like better and which would import my existing mail
messages in their directory structure.

Please direct your dissatisfaction at Microsoft, and appreciate that I am
trying to do the best with the tools I have.

Cheers,
David

Wolfgang Weisselberg

David J Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> David, DO try to use the same quoting style as everyone else here.
> That may not be a hard rule where you go to jail for breaking it.
> Few social rules are. But those who ignore them do so at their
> own peril.
>================================

> Yes, it's not as I would like. Unfortunately the upgrade from Windows Live
> Mail 2009 to 2011 removed the standard quoting format which I had previously
> enjoyed. I still like having e-mail, News, and RSS in one package, and have
> to find a package I like better and which would import my existing mail
> messages in their directory structure.

> Please direct your dissatisfaction at Microsoft, and appreciate that I am
> trying to do the best with the tools I have.

So you basically blame your tools and your tool maker. It's
a poor craftsman who blames his tools. Especially when there
are many well functioning tools around, even for free.

First, having email and usenet in one tool is a bad idea, as many
who posted a private email can tell stories about.

Second, just because *you* are too lazy to look for a better tool
and to learn to use it, you make everyone else suffer. (And
yes, they exist!)

Do you think that's a good thing?

And do you think that we should appreciate your hard work with
broken tools, when the result is that one starts reading what
you quoted, believing that's what you actually wrote?

You could manually put quotation signs in front of every
quoted line, that would be appreciated. And perfectly
doable. If you tire of this, use a better tool.

Stop blaming your lazyness on Microsoft. Grow up. Take aktion.
Be responsible for what you do with your tools.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Everyone is free to ignore RFCs

Everyone is also free to ignore the law.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

>> So how does one do that with panning shots, especially with
>> non-repeatable and non-predictable ones in 0.3 seconds?

> I've taken shots while panning that were in sharp focus,

So you've taken shots while panning that weren't.
And you claimed a 100% success rate.

You lied.

QED.

-Wolfgang

David J Taylor

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
[...]

I choose what programs best suit my needs and, being aware of the annoying
limitations of WLM 2011, I have looked for a better one which meets my
requirements as previously outlined, but not yet found one. So for the time
being I will make do with what I have, and ask that you show some tolerance.
At least, I bottom-post and trim as much quoted material as I feel
appropriate, but I'm not prepared to manually insert chevrons.

To me, the content matters rather more than the precise formatting, and for
me that's now enough time spent on this off-topic diversion.

Cheers,
David

Chris Malcolm

Savageduck <savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:
> On 2012-06-29 07:11:05 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> On 6/28/2012 2:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> You made an assertion regarding the simian activity, and my incorrect
>>> use of "past time". You are correct, I should have used "pastime".
>>> However your question, "This has something to do with apes of long ago?"
>>> implied that you associated the term "primate" with bygone species. So I
>>> just clarified that "Primate" is still valid for both Chimp and human.
>>>

>> Theological activities, as well.

> Naah!
> That is just a minor jab at the creationists. As an atheist with an
> understanding of evolution as applied to paleoanthropology I am secure
> in making the comment regarding our cousin the chimp.

> For the those wanting to grasp the concept of, excuse the pun, an
> evolving science, I would suggest starting by reading the first of the
> books bringing the history of paleoanthropology to the lay person.
> Those are Robert Ardrey's " African Genesis" & "The Territorial Imperative".
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ardrey >

> Then move on to contemporary work which covers much of what has been
> learned since the publication of the Ardrey work. These should include
> the work of Raymond Dart, Robert Broome, and Louis Leaky which is
> covered in summary here;
> < http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/C...158_brain.html >

> Don Johanson; "Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind", "From Lucy to
> Language", & "Lucy's Legacy: The Quest for Human Origins"
> ...and his rival Richard Leaky, who has far surpassed his father. All
> of his work is worth reading and learning from.

> There are many others, but that should be a starting point for the
> inquiring mind.

Nice bibliography.

> Creationists might also consider actually reading (there is nothing to
> fear from reading) "The Origin of Species". That started this debate
> after all.

I think they find reading as much as a book rather challenging.
Disappointingly few of them have even read the Bible.

--
Chris Malcolm