Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lens-safe aerosol dusters?

Lens-safe aerosol dusters?

Paul Ciszek

The nearest camera store doesn't stock spray-dusters, apparently never
has. They suggested I try an office supply store, and get one intended
for electronics. The ones they sell at Office Depot do not list lenses
or optics among their oodles of uses, and warn that they include an
"embittering agent to discourage abuse of inhalants". Unless this
"embittering agent" is a gas instead of a liquid, I don't want it sprayed
on my lenses. So, where can I find a clean spray duster? Yes, I already
have a fairly large squeeze bulb, but the lint just doesn't want to leave.
I want something with some *force*.

As for cleaning cloths...I am trying to blow away the lint left behind
*by* the *&^%$#@! cleaning cloth.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

otter

On Jun 19, 5:08*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> The nearest camera store doesn't stock spray-dusters, apparently never
> has. *They suggested I try an office supply store, and get one intended
> for electronics. *The ones they sell at Office Depot do not list lenses
> or optics among their oodles of uses, and warn that they include an
> "embittering agent to discourage abuse of inhalants". *Unless this
> "embittering agent" is a gas instead of a liquid, I don't want it sprayed
> on my lenses. *So, where can I find a clean spray duster? *Yes, I already
> have a fairly large squeeze bulb, but the lint just doesn't want to leave..
> I want something with some *force*.
>
> As for cleaning cloths...I am trying to blow away the lint left behind
> *by* the *&^%$#@! cleaning cloth.
>
> --
> Please reply to: * * * * | "We establish no religion in this country, we
> pciszek at panix dot com | *command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
> Autoreply is disabled * *| *will we ever. *Church and state are, and must
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *| *remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

microfiber and a good lens cleaning fluid.

I inquired once at a camera store about an aerosol duster, and was
told in no uncertain terms not to use them. "They blow dust into
places it shouldn't go."

RichA

On Jun 19, 8:03*pm, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 5:08*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>

> > The nearest camera store doesn't stock spray-dusters, apparently never
> > has. *They suggested I try an office supply store, and get one intended
> > for electronics. *The ones they sell at Office Depot do not list lenses
> > or optics among their oodles of uses, and warn that they include an
> > "embittering agent to discourage abuse of inhalants". *Unless this
> > "embittering agent" is a gas instead of a liquid, I don't want it sprayed
> > on my lenses. *So, where can I find a clean spray duster? *Yes, I already
> > have a fairly large squeeze bulb, but the lint just doesn't want to leave.
> > I want something with some *force*.

> > As for cleaning cloths...I am trying to blow away the lint left behind
> > *by* the *&^%$#@! cleaning cloth.

> > --
> > Please reply to: * * * * | "We establish no religion in this country, we
> > pciszek at panix dot com | *command no worship, we mandate no belief,nor
> > Autoreply is disabled * *| *will we ever. *Church and state are, and must
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * *| *remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

> microfiber and a good lens cleaning fluid.
>
> I inquired once at a camera store about an aerosol duster, and was
> told in no uncertain terms not to use them. *"They blow dust into
> places it shouldn't go."

As opposed to how push-pull zooms and other lens mechanisms suck in
dust? I use aerosol dusters where other methods (like hand blowers or
camel-hair brushes) can't dislodge static-stuck dust. Definitely do a
preliminary blast to clear any debris and do not tilt or invert the
can.

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> As for cleaning cloths...I am trying to blow away the lint left behind
>> *by* the *&^%$#@! cleaning cloth.

>Microfibre cloth. Wipe lightly. No more dust. Be sure the microfibre
>is clean and has no grit on it.

Mike's Camera sold me some "microfiber" cloths that disintigrate into
lint. I have obtained another cloth with a silvery appearance that
I hope will behave differently.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
Autoreply is disabled | will we ever. Church and state are, and must
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

J. Clarke

In article <2012061917115621609-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2012-06-19 17:03:13 -0700, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > On Jun 19, 5:08*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> >> The nearest camera store doesn't stock spray-dusters, apparently never

> > microfiber and a good lens cleaning fluid.
> >
> > I inquired once at a camera store about an aerosol duster, and was
> > told in no uncertain terms not to use them. "They blow dust into
> > places it shouldn't go."

> Agreed!

Get the biggest Giottos duster and a LensPen and you can handle just
about everything except dust on the sensor.