Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Checking compatibility of a script across Python versionsautomatically

Re: Checking compatibility of a script across Python versionsautomatically

Stefan Behnel

Andrew Berg, 18.06.2012 21:24:
> Are there any tools out there that will parse a script and tell me if it
> is compatible with an arbitrary version of Python and highlight any
> incompatibilities? I need to check a few of my scripts that target 3.2
> to see if I can make them compatible with 3.0 and 3.1 if they aren't
> already. I found pyqver, but it isn't accurate (at least for 3.2/3.3
> scripts) and hasn't been updated in 2 years. I could look over the docs
> and do it manually, but one of the scripts isn't small, so I'd prefer
> not to.

My advice: write a good test suite for your code and use something like tox
to run it under the various Python versions that you want to support. No
static analysis tool will ever be able to find all portability problems.

Stefan