Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop lid removal?

Laptop lid removal?

Ummmmmmm.......

My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.

So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
immediately behind the keyboard.

So I have a question.

Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Malcolm

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:07:06 +1200
"Ummmmmmm......." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a
> month, said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned
> they couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After
> another 2 months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable
> and she'd have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they
> said they couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
>
> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an
> uncomfortable angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the
> monitor immediately behind the keyboard.
>
> So I have a question.
>
> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without
> stuffing up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I
> don't feel like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6
> months before they tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But
> also, being technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it
> with a blunt instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi
Something like this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HP-Com...item3f14efd3b4

If your in the Auckland area, maybe someone like ~misfit~ can do
something like that for you?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.31-0.9-default

Me

On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
> said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
> couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
> months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
> have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
> couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
>
> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
> angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
> immediately behind the keyboard.
>
> So I have a question.
>
> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
> up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
> like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
> tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
> technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
> instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
> Any help would be much appreciated.

There's usually (on most laptops) a panel above the keyboard which needs
to be removed in order to get at the lid hinges. It might require
removing the keyboard first, in which case you might be able to get
access to the video cable at that end, and at the other end by removing
the front bezel from screen/lid, so you may not need to completely
remove the screen.
I suggest you google, including on youtube, for the model number and
"dismantle" for specific instructions. They can be a PITA if you don't
know model-specific tricks - how to unclip panels without breaking them
etc, or location of well-concealed screws etc.

Gib Bogle

On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
> said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
> couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
> months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
> have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
> couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
>
> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
> angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
> immediately behind the keyboard.
>
> So I have a question.
>
> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
> up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
> like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
> tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
> technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
> instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of
the monitor.

Me

On 18/06/2012 1:24 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
>> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
>> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
>> said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
>> couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
>> months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
>> have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
>> couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
>>
>> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
>> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
>> angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
>> immediately behind the keyboard.
>>
>> So I have a question.
>>
>> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
>> up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
>> like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
>> tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
>> technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
>> instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
>> Any help would be much appreciated.

> Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
> sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
> inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of the
> monitor.

Possibly because if the OP's wife doesn't also get an external keyboard
and mouse, then she'll need very long thin fingers and excellent
touch-typing skills.

Gib Bogle

On 18/06/2012 1:29 p.m., Me wrote:

>> Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
>> sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
>> inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of the
>> monitor.
> >

> Possibly because if the OP's wife doesn't also get an external keyboard
> and mouse, then she'll need very long thin fingers and excellent
> touch-typing skills.

A very good point! It would have to be open enough to allow hands in,
and if she needs to look at the keyboard as I do, but is shorter than
me, I can see that the lid could obstruct the view.

Enkidu

On 18/06/12 13:07, Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
> said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
> couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
> months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
> have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
> couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
>
> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
> angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
> immediately behind the keyboard.
>
> So I have a question.
>
> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
> up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
> like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
> tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
> technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
> instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
> Any help would be much appreciated.

You should be able to attach a mouse and keyboard to the laptop and then
close the lid while it is booted up.

Cheers,

Cliff

Stephen Worthington

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
>flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
>said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
>couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
>months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
>have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
>couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
>
>So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
>fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
>angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
>immediately behind the keyboard.
>
>So I have a question.
>
>Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
>up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
>like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
>tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
>technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
>instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
>Any help would be much appreciated.

This page seems to be the HP page for all the manuals:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=3768171

and from a link on that page, this seems to be the service manual with
the disassembly instructions:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...Fc01573159.pdf

As to getting parts, since this seems to be a 2008 model, the Consumer
Guarantees Act requires that the parts be available for the life of
the goods, so you can go back to the shop you bought it from and
require them to get the part or even to fix the problem, and if they
are no longer in existence, the manufacturer or NZ importer (HP or
their NZ agents) are required to fix it. Should it actually be
impossible to get the parts, then the CGA remedy would probably be a
new laptop or your money back. Do not take any bullshit from the
retailer or HP - the CGA is very clear about these things. If they
refuse, ask for details of the person to send the notice to about the
Disputes Tribunal hearing. That usually makes them remember their
obligations under the CGA. And if that does not work, actually go to
the Disputes Tribunal - it is likely that you would win your case
easily.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:30:41 +1200, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>>new laptop or your money back. Do not take any bullshit from the
>>retailer or HP - the CGA is very clear about these things. If they
>>refuse, ask for details of the person to send the notice to about the
>>Disputes Tribunal hearing. That usually makes them remember their
>>obligations under the CGA. And if that does not work, actually go to
>>the Disputes Tribunal - it is likely that you would win your case
>>easily.

>To me this is the ONLY way to go, But HP is not a very nice firm to deal
>with..
>
>I gave some help to a Chap that had a Faulty HP with the well known
>graphics chip problem, I sent him stacks of links about this fault, he
>emailed my 6 months later to tell me that HP would not do a thing but
>Noel Leeming replaced his Laptop, I don't know if it was brought from

If it was bought from Noel Leemings, and Noel Leemings are still
trading, then the CGA makes it plain that as Noel Leemings are the
retailer it is their responsibility to get it fixed, rather than HPs.
However, I believe it is the responsibility of the importer or
manufacturer to make sure of parts availability in NZ for the lifetime
of the product. So HP may not have to pay for the repairs, but they
sure had better be able to supply the spares, and for a reasonable
price.

>I have been in the service trade and many firms are not stocking parts
>at all, or for only 3 years to me its totally illegal.

Yes, and then they try to tell you that a laptop's lifetime is only
three years! If they make laptops that bad, they had better only cost
$100. Otherwise for a normally priced laptop I would expect at least
7-10 years of operation, as I do for any computer. The CGA requires
"durability" for all products.

>Also some service agents are not approved in servicing PC or
>Laptops,often parts are available from OZZ.

Approved agent status does not matter to the CGA. The CGA requires
that spares be available for the lifetime of the product. Any
retailer who stocks things that will not have spares for the lifetime
of the product should expect to have to replace or refund instead when
the spares are not available, as required by the CGA. So they should
be putting aside funding for that or should be ensuring that spares
will be available by having an agreement with the importer or
manufacturer when they decide to sell their products. So Noel
Leemings should have made sure they had an agreement with HP that HP
would have the spares or even cover the CGA costs. I doubt they have
such an agreement, so it is then all up to them to fix or otherwise
remedy the problem. But fix it they must.

Me

On 18/06/2012 8:27 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]

>> Laptops,often parts are available from OZZ.

> Approved agent status does not matter to the CGA. The CGA requires
> that spares be available for the lifetime of the product. Any
> retailer who stocks things that will not have spares for the lifetime
> of the product should expect to have to replace or refund instead when
> the spares are not available, as required by the CGA. So they should
> be putting aside funding for that or should be ensuring that spares
> will be available by having an agreement with the importer or
> manufacturer when they decide to sell their products. So Noel
> Leemings should have made sure they had an agreement with HP that HP
> would have the spares or even cover the CGA costs. I doubt they have
> such an agreement, so it is then all up to them to fix or otherwise
> remedy the problem. But fix it they must.

Makes me wonder what the future of something like the very beautiful new
Macbook Pro "Retina" screen notebook will be like.

There's a teardown here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...1#.T97vqLX9N8E

The lithium ion battery seems to be designed to be non-replaceable -
actually glued in to the chassis. The ram chips are soldered in to the
m/b. The SSD has a proprietary non-standard interface. The screen
assembly can't be disassembled.

They've made the thing unserviceable - for the main components
(battery/ram/display/ssd) which might not last. It's a very appealing
sexy looking laptop, but jeeesh - 7-10 years of operation? I don't
think so.