Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help - I have to shoot a wedding.

Help - I have to shoot a wedding.

eatmorepies

My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
stuff is outside my experience.

The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer period. I
thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding photographers use
reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the results when I had a go
with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy an umbrella and give it a
go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)

Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the know
about formal stuff being shot out of doors.

I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a mkII
270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a cheap Jessops
tripod.

So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

John

Nick Fotis

If you want peace of mind, DON'T do that!

N.F.

ray

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:44:36 +0100, eatmorepies wrote:

> My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
> normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
> marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This
> formal stuff is outside my experience.
>
> The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
> shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer
> period. I thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding
> photographers use reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the
> results when I had a go with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy
> an umbrella and give it a go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)
>
> Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the
> know about formal stuff being shot out of doors.
>
> I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
> 35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a
> mkII 270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a
> cheap Jessops tripod.
>
> So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.
>
> John

I'm certainly no expert and I'd agree that a pro should do it. If you
absolutely 'must' do it, here are some suggestions:

1) do a 'dry run' a few days before - get people to stand in the places
you'll shoot and do it - then learn from what you have.

2) if there is another wedding at the same or very similar facility, go
and talk with or at least observe the photographer (assuming (s)he's a
pro).

Robert Coe

:
[...]

Leave the Jessops tripod at home.

Bob

David J Taylor

My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
stuff is outside my experience.
[]
So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

John
=========================

John, I think you will have got the message from the other replies. If you
are forced into doing this, make it clear that you are doing only casual
shots, and /not/ formal ones. If they must have formal, hire a pro!

Cheers,
David

Martin Brown

On 17/06/2012 23:02, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-06-17 13:44:36 -0700, "eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
>> normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
>> marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
>> stuff is outside my experience.
>>
>> The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
>> shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer
>> period. I
>> thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding photographers use
>> reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the results when I
>> had a go
>> with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy an umbrella and give
>> it a
>> go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)
>>
>> Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the
>> know
>> about formal stuff being shot out of doors.
>>
>> I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
>> 35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a mkII
>> 270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a cheap
>> Jessops
>> tripod.
>>
>> So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.
>>
>> John

> Your sister is setting you up for a classic family fall out. She has
> probably seen the wedding planner's itemized estimate for a professional
> wedding photographer at some $1000-$3000 for a decent package including
> prints and/or albums. You might want to explore some wedding
> photographer's web sites to get some idea of what the better ones offer,
> and what mistakes the terrible ones make. You certainly don't want to
> end up in this company.
> < http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2011/10/02/heartbreak/ >
>
> For piece of mind don't take this on if you ever want to maintain ties
> with your sister's side of the family.

Indeed. It is surprisingly difficult sometimes even for pros to coral a
largish crowd of somewhat merry people more interested in nibbling the
canapes into some form of order in all the required permutations. And
avoiding trees growing out of the vicars or brides head etc...

Assuming that you get the technical stuff just right posing a bride and
groom to both look good when highlights and to a lesser extent shadow
detail are critical to the final result is not as easy as it sounds.

Also this being the UK you have to plan for all possible weather up to
and including monsoon conditions this year. My cousins wedding was
memorable for one photograph of an avenue of colourful golfing umbrellas
protecting the bride & groom as they left the church (in torrential rain).

By all means shoot informal second camera with something compact and
unobtrusive. But unless you are really into adrenalin sports don't do
mainline wedding photography for friends and family unless they are
absolutely destitute and have no other choice. If you absolutely have to
stress how you have never done it before and cannot guarantee the
results. Think shades of I,Claudius taking on the job of Roman emperor.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bruce

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
>normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
>marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
>stuff is outside my experience.
>
>The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
>shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer period. I
>thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding photographers use
>reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the results when I had a go
>with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy an umbrella and give it a
>go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)
>
>Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the know
>about formal stuff being shot out of doors.
>
>I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
>35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a mkII
>270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a cheap Jessops
>tripod.
>
>So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

Don't you think you already bought enough "stuff"? With all that pro
gear you have, it is no wonder your sister thought you were the ideal
person to shoot your niece's wedding.

It seems to me that you have two options.

Option 1. Be honest with your sister and admit that you don't have a
clue about shooting a wedding. It will be embarrassing because she
(presumably) knows that your gear cost you many thousands of pounds.
Your equipment may have given her an impression of competence that is
not supported by your ability.

You could help her choose a suitable professional and even make a
contribution to the cost as a wedding gift. You could also offer to
supplement the professional's work by taking candid and informal shots
that the pro won't have time to catch.

Option 2. You have five weeks to learn how to shoot a wedding.

Either way, I wish you luck.

DanP

On Monday, 18 June 2012 11:10:01 UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
> "eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
> >normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
> >marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
> >stuff is outside my experience.
> >
> >The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
> >shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer period. I
> >thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding photographers use
> >reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the results when I had a go
> >with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy an umbrella and give it a
> >go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)
> >
> >Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the know
> >about formal stuff being shot out of doors.
> >
> >I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
> >35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a mkII
> >270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a cheap Jessops
> >tripod.
> >
> >So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

> Don't you think you already bought enough "stuff"? With all that pro
> gear you have, it is no wonder your sister thought you were the ideal
> person to shoot your niece's wedding.
>
> It seems to me that you have two options.
>
> Option 1. Be honest with your sister and admit that you don't have a
> clue about shooting a wedding.

Has he ever pretended he knows something about wedding photography? And why do you defend the ignorant here, namely his wife?

DanP

Mr. Strat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, eatmorepies
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My sister wants me to photograph my niece's wedding in 5 weeks time. I
> normally take pictures at carnivals, sports events, the street, pride
> marches, art and music festivals and local motorsport events. This formal
> stuff is outside my experience.
>
> The group photos will be in front of a church porch - probably in the
> shade - I expect the day to be overcast as we are in the UK summer period. I
> thought to use fill flash. I've seen proper wedding photographers use
> reflective umbrellas and as I was impressed with the results when I had a go
> with softboxes in a studio I thought I might buy an umbrella and give it a
> go. (Possibly 2 umbrellas?)
>
> Before starting down the wrong path I'd like advice from those in the know
> about formal stuff being shot out of doors.
>
> I have available a 5D2, a 1D mkIV, 24 - 70mm F2.8L, 24 - 105mm F4L, 16 -
> 35mm f2.8L and a 70 - 200mm f2.8L. A mkI 580 EX, a mkII 580 EX and a mkII
> 270 EX flashgun. Two decent Manfrotto tripods with heads and a cheap Jessops
> tripod.
>
> So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

Have them hire a professional. You're obviously in over your head just
by asking the questions.

otter

On Jun 17, 3:44*pm, "eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So, what advice have you? I'm ok to buy some more stuff - within limits.

I see everyone stole my thunder. My initial thought was to run as
fast as you can away from this.

However, not everyone wants or needs to spend big bucks on wedding
pictures. If the alternative is no pics at all, or perhaps some snaps
from Aunt Alice, having you in the mix probably doesn't hurt. Make it
clear to your sister that you will only be providing casual, not
formal shots. If she wants more than that, make it clear she needs to
hire a pro, and you can be the second shooter.