Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Academic citation of Python

Reply
Thread Tools

Academic citation of Python

 
 
Mark Livingstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2012
Hello!

I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.

Is there a preferred document etc to cite?

Thanks in advance,

MArkL
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Lawrence
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2012
On 16/06/2012 04:24, Mark Livingstone wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
>
> Is there a preferred document etc to cite?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> MArkL


The main website www.python.org and possibly the sites for Jython,
IronPython and PyPY?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J. Cliff Dyer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2012
That's a rather vague question. What do you want to cite about python?
If you're just mentioning python, that shouldn't warrant a citation,
though a parenthetical note linking to python.org might be useful.

The standard documentation should be acceptable, or possibly a link to
the source code at a given revision.

Cheers,
Cliff

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 13:24 +1000, Mark Livingstone wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
>
> Is there a preferred document etc to cite?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> MArkL



 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2012
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 14:01:12 +0100, Mark Lawrence
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 16/06/2012 04:24, Mark Livingstone wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
>>
>> Is there a preferred document etc to cite?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> MArkL

>
>The main website www.python.org and possibly the sites for Jython,
>IronPython and PyPY?


He's probably looking for an IEC or ANSI standard, like "Information
technology Programming languages C INCITS/ISO/IEC 9899-2011[2012]
(ISO/IEC 9899-2011, IDT)". I don't think URLs qualify as standards
documents.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
 
Reply With Quote
 
Emile van Sebille
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2012
Or copy a citation from Guido:

http://www.python.org/~guido/Publications.html

Emile


 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Reedy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-16-2012
On 6/15/2012 11:24 PM, Mark Livingstone wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wish to properly cite Python in an academic paper I am writing.
>
> Is there a preferred document etc to cite?


At present, I would use something like

Rossum, Guido van, et al, *The Python Language Reference*, Python
Software Foundation; http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/index.html

with punctuation adjusted to your target. That url should continue to
work as new versions are released. If you want to cite a particular
version, http://docs.python.org/release/3.2/reference/index.html with
3.2 replaced by x.y as appropriate.

--
Terry Jan Reedy



 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Reedy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012
On 6/16/2012 5:01 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Am 16.06.2012 22:44, schrieb Terry Reedy:
>> Rossum, Guido van, et al, *The Python Language Reference*, Python
>> Software Foundation; http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/index.html

>
> Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The "van" is
> part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da Vinci,
> Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido complained that
> Americans always get his name wrong.


Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

--
Terry Jan Reedy



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Lee Bieber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:25:29 -0400, Terry Reedy <(E-Mail Removed)>
declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

>
> Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
> co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
> been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.


If ALL they had on the spine was "Rossum", that may have been
correct usage for a surname only reference. The "van", "von", "da"
prefixes sort of translate to "of the" and for a book spine "of the XYZ"
may be meaningless unless the given name is included, a la "ABC of the
XYZ"...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Stefan Behnel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012
Dennis Lee Bieber, 17.06.2012 02:46:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:25:29 -0400, Terry Reedy
> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>
>> Thank you for the correction. I was going by an old book (1996) he
>> co-wrote that just had 'Rossum' on the spine. I guess that must have
>> been done without consulting him and must have annoyed him.

>
> If ALL they had on the spine was "Rossum", that may have been
> correct usage for a surname only reference. The "van", "von", "da"
> prefixes sort of translate to "of the" and for a book spine "of the XYZ"
> may be meaningless unless the given name is included, a la "ABC of the
> XYZ"...


It's a bit like using "New York" as a surname, when you refer to that guy
Jason who was born there, as in "Jason of New York".

Stefan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Curt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012
On 2012-06-16, Christian Heimes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Actually it's "van Rossum, Guido", not "Rossum, Guido van". The "van" is
> part of the family name, not a middle name. It's like "da Vinci,
> Leonardo" or "von Sydow, Max". On one occasion Guido complained that
> Americans always get his name wrong.


I've read that now he prefers Guido V. Rossum, Jr.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MLA citation for data used in a spreadsheet Tony Computer Support 2 05-01-2010 02:24 AM
Wanted: Citation supporting Duck Typing Paddy Python 1 05-09-2008 06:37 PM
Photographer Gets Citation For Privacy Violation!! Rita Berkowitz Digital Photography 14 04-01-2008 12:49 PM
XSL FO page-number-citation - Pruning duplicates or forcing unique jason.davidson@gmail.com XML 0 06-13-2006 08:55 PM
XSL-FO - How to use page-number-citation twice? Michel XML 1 10-17-2005 03:58 PM



Advertisments