Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Recommendations for Lightweight Threading?

Re: Recommendations for Lightweight Threading?

Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:16:29 -0700, Lew wrote:

> I personally am not.

Yes, I assumed that and was referring to general,rather than personal
knowledge of driver licensing.

> I know of no place in the U.S. that restricts one
> to driving an automatic without a certification for manual
> transmissions. I do not know of medical restrictions, e.g., having to
> have a left-foot accelerator if you cannot use the right foot, but they
> might well exist as that is outside my area of knowledge.

I'd be surprised if there aren't medical restrictions and/or rules about
mandatory modifications to the car.

> I do know that if you need prescription eyewear you are not permitted
> to drive without it on.

And yet you can drive legally in California although a registered blind
person, or could a few years back. Strange.....

Here pilots can fly with prescription eyeglasses but *must* have a second
pair with them in case the first pair gets damaged. Makes sense: landing
with busted or lost glasses would be problematic.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Gene Wirchenko

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:16:29 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

[snip]

>I personally am not. I know of no place in the U.S. that restricts one to
>driving an automatic without a certification for manual transmissions. I do
>not know of medical restrictions, e.g., having to have a left-foot accelerator
>if you cannot use the right foot, but they might well exist as that is outside
>my area of knowledge. I do know that if you need prescription eyewear you
>are not permitted to drive without it on.

Not necessarily I should think. I wear glasses, but legally (in
British Columbia), I do not have to wear them for driving as my vision
is good enough without them. They are more reading glasses with a bit
more.

Odd exceptions strike in more areas than computing!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

glen herrmannsfeldt

Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(snip)

> Not necessarily I should think. I wear glasses, but legally (in
> British Columbia), I do not have to wear them for driving as my vision
> is good enough without them. They are more reading glasses with a bit
> more.

If you can pass the vision test (reading a line of letters)
without them, then you can drive without them.

-- glen

Tim Slattery

Martin Gregorie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The countries where I've obtained driving licenses (NZ and the UK) both
>have a restriction that prevents a person who learnt on an automatic from
>driving a manual shift without additional training. The opposite does not
>apply: learn on a manual gearbox and you're good to go on an automatic.

>As I stupidly did my right leg a lot damage a few years ago I'm now
>restricted to driving an automatic with a left-foot accelerator, which
>makes sense: I can drive a conventionally equipped manual Hilux pickup
>for short distances (2-3 km) but would not want to drive it on the road
>for any distance. I presume you're used to similar restrictions in the
>USA?

Not the first thing you mention, the restriction on using a manual
without additional training. But I can certainly see the reason for
it.

As for people with right-foot problems being restricted to left-foot
pedals: yes, absolutely. A few years ago my wife was having
considerable problems with her right foot. She had a left-foot pedal
installed, and as a condition of that, her driver's license was
changed to say that she could only operate a left-foot pedal car.

The flip side is that the left-foot car can only legally be operated
by someone with that restriction on the license. So I wasn't supposed
to drive it, even though the pedal would fold up out of the way.

--
Tim Slattery

Tim Slattery

Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:16:29 -0700 (PDT), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>I personally am not. I know of no place in the U.S. that restricts one to
>>driving an automatic without a certification for manual transmissions. I do
>>not know of medical restrictions, e.g., having to have a left-foot accelerator
>>if you cannot use the right foot, but they might well exist as that is outside
>>my area of knowledge. I do know that if you need prescription eyewear you
>>are not permitted to drive without it on.

> Not necessarily I should think. I wear glasses, but legally (in
>British Columbia), I do not have to wear them for driving as my vision
>is good enough without them. They are more reading glasses with a bit
>more.

Oh yeah, necessarily. I am extremely myopic, I would be a danger to
myself and others without correction, even walking. My license
specifies that I must be wearing corrective lenses to drive a car.
Contact lenses count.

Needless restriction in my case. I never move more than a few feet
from my bed without either glasses or contacts.

--
Tim Slattery
(E-Mail Removed)

Tim Slattery

glen herrmannsfeldt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
>> Not necessarily I should think. I wear glasses, but legally (in
>> British Columbia), I do not have to wear them for driving as my vision
>> is good enough without them. They are more reading glasses with a bit
>> more.

>If you can pass the vision test (reading a line of letters)
>without them, then you can drive without them.

True. If you need eye correction to pass that test, then your license
will say that you must be wearing lenses to drive your car.

Hmm...I guess somebody who needed lenses on the test, then had Lasik
which made him able to see, would have to go back and take the test
again.

--
Tim Slattery
(E-Mail Removed)

Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:30:05 -0400, Tim Slattery wrote:

> The flip side is that the left-foot car can only legally be operated by
> someone with that restriction on the license. So I wasn't supposed to
> drive it, even though the pedal would fold up out of the way.

Interesting.

My car has an accelerator pedal on each side of the brake pedal, linked
so that only one of them is usable at a time. The other one folds up away
from feet on that side. IOW, anybody else can drive the car by pulling
the right pedal down. Sure makes life easier for the guys in the garage
when it needs servicing. In the UK this seems to be the usual setup and
means that any normal driver can swap pedals and drive legally.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK