Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor

First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
> likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
> superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
> lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
> interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

Well, they just make these superzooms to force you to flex your
imagination and limber up your preconceptions. Doesn't seem to
work yet, though ...

-Wolfgang

David Dyer-Bennet

"K W Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "John A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:11:36 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>><http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/#more-40710>
>>>

>>>A few points worth noting:
>>>
>>>The D600 has a Sony 24 MP full frame sensor which will also be used in
>>>Sony's SLT A99.
>>>
>>>The D600 specification is final but nikonrumors.com doesn't have it
>>>all yet.
>>>
>>>The D600 is likely to replace the D700 after a time.
>>>
>>>Several reasonably affordable lenses at less-than-stellar prices will
>>>be available for the D600. There is yet another version of the
>>>24-85mm - which probably won't be much better than any of the previous
>>>versions - and probably a 70-200mm f/4G ED.
>>>
>>>For DX fans, Nikon has also announced an 18-300mm superzoom which is
>>>likely to be optically even worse than the 18-200mm. Buyers of these
>>>superzooms seem to place a higher priority on never having to change
>>>lenses, which makes one wonder why on earth they bought an
>>>interchangeable lens camera in the first place.

>> Maybe they don't want to clean the sensor more than absolutely
>> necessary, perhaps because they don't know how or are afraid they'll
>> scratch it or something.
>>
>> Maybe once the economy picks up, camera owners will be more willing to
>> risk damaging expensive equipment.
>>
>> Just a thought. No idea if it's true for a significant number, though
>> I would guess it's >0.

> Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue? I realize that dust on the
> sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
> film cameras with no ill effects. Does the sensor have a static charge that
> attracts dust?

First, each frame of film is only used once, while the sensor is used
repeatedly.

Second, yes, it *does* acquire a static charge.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Rob

On 16/06/2012 2:05 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <jrfl44$27o$(E-Mail Removed)>, K W Hart
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue? I realize that dust on the
>> sensor equals spots on the image, but I've changed lenses in mid-roll on my
>> film cameras with no ill effects.

> film moves so any dust affects only one photo, and that's if it somehow
> gets past the light-tight foam on the cartridge.
>
>> Does the sensor have a static charge that
>> attracts dust?

> they do but it's not as bad as it used to be. a rocket blower usually
> takes care of any dust.

in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner to catch the dust particals.

Bruce

Mark F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:11:36 +0100, in rec.photo.digital you wrote in
>part:

>> >Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue?

>> Only if you are paranoid, ignorant or both. People who buy DSLRs for
>> their claimed better image quality over a small sensor p&s then give
>> up most of that gain in image quality by using a junk >10X superzoom

>Many of the issues caused by the tradeoffs made in making an ultrawide
>zoom can be handled by post processing.

That's funny, because no-one is discussing "an ultrawide zoom". It
would help if you understood what was being discussed before replying.

Trevor

"K W Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jrfl44$27o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this sensor cleaning thing a real issue?

It can be.

>I realize that dust on the sensor equals spots on the image, but I've
>changed lenses in mid-roll on my film cameras with no ill effects.

If you change digital sensors as often as you changed film, I'm sure you
would never have a problem either!!

Trevor.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Only if you are paranoid, ignorant or both. People who buy DSLRs for
> >> their claimed better image quality over a small sensor p&s then give
> >> up most of that gain in image quality by using a junk >10X superzoom

> >Many of the issues caused by the tradeoffs made in making an ultrawide
> >zoom can be handled by post processing.

> That's funny, because no-one is discussing "an ultrawide zoom". It
> would help if you understood what was being discussed before replying.

it's very obvious what he meant.

tony cooper

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:08:20 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

>Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I wish there was a way to make a dust mask photo
>>and for Photoshop (or some app) to automatically remove them when high
>>aperture numbers are used and when the image is even in the area where
>>there is dust.

>Nikon cameras and software can do that.

Sorta. My Nikon does a dust sweeping every time I turn it on. But,
still, I have to use my Rocket to manually clean off the dust a couple
of times of year. If the humidity is high, or the camera's location
changes from one somewhat extreme temperature to another, the dust
will form tiny "clots".

Every once in a while I shoot a clear blue sky image just to check for
dust spots.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

me

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:25:46 -0400, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:08:20 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L.
>Davidson) wrote:
>
>>Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I wish there was a way to make a dust mask photo
>>>and for Photoshop (or some app) to automatically remove them when high
>>>aperture numbers are used and when the image is even in the area where
>>>there is dust.

>>Nikon cameras and software can do that.

>Sorta. My Nikon does a dust sweeping every time I turn it on. But,
>still, I have to use my Rocket to manually clean off the dust a couple
>of times of year. If the humidity is high, or the camera's location
>changes from one somewhat extreme temperature to another, the dust
>will form tiny "clots".
>
>Every once in a while I shoot a clear blue sky image just to check for
>dust spots.

I believe Floyd was taking about the dust reference photo feature of
the Nikon Cameras and Software.

tony cooper

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:00:53 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012-06-17 10:25 , tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:08:20 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L.
>> Davidson) wrote:

>>> Nikon cameras and software can do that.

>> Sorta. My Nikon does a dust sweeping every time I turn it on. But,

>He was referring to an image reference for post processing. I forgot
>about that feature in some (all?) Nikon DSLR's.

Some Nikons have automatic sensor dust cleaning when you turn on the
camera. Mine does. That's what I was referring to above

My Nikon also has Dust Off software in Capture NX2 (which I don't use)
that works on .NEF images only. It's ridiculous. Read the
instructions at http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d2x_dust/

You want to go through all of that, including a reference photo, when
dust spots on images are easily removed with the Clone tool or the
Spot Healing brush in either Photoshop (full version) or Elements or
the Spot Removal tool in Lightroom? I'm sure other post-processing
programs have similar tools.

Dust spots in an image that are a problem are almost always in the sky
or some other light-colored solid area of a photograph. They will
also be in the other areas of the same photograph, but you won't see
them.

If you have some great, god-awful blob that is too much to remove as
above, you've lost the image anyway.

>Just wish Sony would wake up to it - or at least find a good 3rd party
>s/w that can do it.

They do. It's called Adobe Photoshop, Elements, or Lightroom. Picasa
has "Retouch", but I don't use Picasa so I don't know the particulars.
Even the free program I use as a viewer - FastStone - has a clone
tool.

Dust on the sensor is a real problem for me because I sometimes change
lenses in windy and sandy conditions. At most, it effects one card's
photos, and then only those images with solid light areas.

Sometimes the "dust spots" on an image are on the monitor screen.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:52:03 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2012-06-17 12:39 , tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:00:53 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> He was referring to an image reference for post processing. I forgot
>>> about that feature in some (all?) Nikon DSLR's.

>> Some Nikons have automatic sensor dust cleaning when you turn on the
>> camera. Mine does. That's what I was referring to above
>>
>> My Nikon also has Dust Off software in Capture NX2 (which I don't use)
>> that works on .NEF images only. It's ridiculous. Read the
>> instructions at http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d2x_dust/
>>
>> You want to go through all of that, including a reference photo, when
>> dust spots on images are easily removed with the Clone tool or the
>> Spot Healing brush in either Photoshop (full version) or Elements or
>> the Spot Removal tool in Lightroom? I'm sure other post-processing
>> programs have similar tools.

>Since one only needs take one reference photo (say 1 per month) and then
>let the s/w do the work, sure, why not. When I have a dozen shots and
>all need the same three spots healed it's a pain in the clock.

That's 36 clicks of the Enter key if you use the Spot Healing Brush.
A few more if you establish the Clone-from area. You hit the keys
more times in this post than that.

However, I'm all for using whatever technique that works best for the
individual. If you are getting 12 shots out of a shoot that a) are
worth post-processing, and b) contain areas that include dust spots,
and c) able to notice the dust spots in the RAW file before you start
post, then you're doing better than I am.

>> Dust spots in an image that are a problem are almost always in the sky
>> or some other light-colored solid area of a photograph. They will
>> also be in the other areas of the same photograph, but you won't see
>> them.

>No ****. That's why I was specific about the tool only working on high
>aperture numbered shots and in "smooth" areas.
>

>> If you have some great, god-awful blob that is too much to remove as
>> above, you've lost the image anyway.
>>>
>>> Just wish Sony would wake up to it - or at least find a good 3rd party
>>> s/w that can do it.

>> They do. It's called Adobe Photoshop, Elements, or Lightroom. Picasa
>> has "Retouch", but I don't use Picasa so I don't know the particulars.
>> Even the free program I use as a viewer - FastStone - has a clone
>> tool.

>See above.
>

>> Dust on the sensor is a real problem for me because I sometimes change
>> lenses in windy and sandy conditions. At most, it effects one card's
>> photos, and then only those images with solid light areas.
>>
>> Sometimes the "dust spots" on an image are on the monitor screen.

>That I keep clean. Spots from the sensor are very clear as to their
>nature when they show up.

You evidently don't have grandchildren that come over and use your
computer. I'm thinking of adding an electrified fence around the
screen so they don't touch it and leave fingerprints.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

d600 can see network, can't connect CTS Wireless Networking 5 01-03-2009 10:06 PM
dell latitude d600 Sab Computer Support 7 11-28-2007 10:49 PM
Samsung D600 and B tYahoo e-mail Paul Computer Support 0 05-15-2006 06:16 PM
802.1x D600 Broadcom Jay Cisco 2 12-17-2004 09:02 PM
keeps losing my wireless connection linksys WRT54GS dell lat d600 =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBN?= Wireless Networking 2 10-29-2004 03:43 PM

Advertisments