Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Moving from Vonage to a free provider

Moving from Vonage to a free provider

BC

On 17/06/2012 17:59, WendyBurger wrote:

> Would this be OK?
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-S...#ht_5448wt_902

Yes that's fine. Like I said before, my concern would be that they are
now discontinued and I'm not sure whether you can still download the
latest firmware.

Are you on a virgin cable connection?

Graham.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 15/06/2012 08:25, cybuerke wrote:
>> WendyBurger wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you, my next question is for adapters, currently I have a black
>>> box that plugs into the router which I plug in a cordless panasonic
>>> phone.
>>>
>>> I've had a look on the sipgate site but they seem to be routers, can
>>> anyone suggest an adapter or something similar to the thing that Vonage
>>> supply?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance!

>> Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever you
>> decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too difficult.
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adaptor/dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>
>>

>Would this be OK?
>
>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-S...#ht_5448wt_902

Yes that's fine, I have two of those.
You might find that it doesn't come with a RJ11 to British phone plug
adapter, so you might need to buy one.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Adnokes_NOSCAN

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> Obi110 or Obi100 - You'd have to set up your own Sipgate (or whoever
>>> you decide to sign up with) login details, but that's not too
>>> difficult.
>>>
>>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi110-UK-Se...phone-Adaptor/

dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>

>>Would this be OK?
>>
>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-S...er-PAP2T-NA-2-

Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60 b0e926#ht_5448wt_902

> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
> one.

But those things have a serious overheating issue.

Thomas Kenyon

Adnokes_NOSCAN wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:
>
>>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-S...er-PAP2T-NA-2-

> Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
> pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60 b0e926#ht_5448wt_902
>> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
>> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
>> one.

> But those things have a serious overheating issue.

I know this sounds a bit troll-like, but so does everything make by Linksys.

Oddly the PAP2 is about the most reliable bit of Linksys kit I've had in
a long time. (ie. didn't commit suicide once within it's useful lifespan).

Thomas Kenyon

alexd wrote:
> BC (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> The SPA112 is an updated Linksys PAP2T (shown on the Sipgate site).
>> Don't go for the Linksys; it has been discontinued and Cisco are
>> releasing no further firmware updates for it.

> On the other hand...it's been on the market so long, surely the major bugs
> have been found and fixed by now? Security fixes might be a concern but
> you're not going to be putting it on the internet now, are you?

Especially when you consider that it's a cost reduction model of an
SPA-2000, so the firmware has been around for a very very long time.

Harry Stottle

"Adnokes_NOSCAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jrmg8r$s23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

> dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>
>>>>

>>>Would this be OK?
>>>
>>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-S...er-PAP2T-NA-2-

> Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
> pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c60 b0e926#ht_5448wt_902
>>
>> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
>> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
>> one.

> But those things have a serious overheating issue.

And overheating usually means wasted power, which for something that is
switched on 24 hours a day can soon mount up.

Graham.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:02:03 +0000 (UTC), Adnokes_NOSCAN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:48:02 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:59:16 +0100, WendyBurger <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>dp/B004XJCBGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339744736&sr=8-1>
>>>>

>>>Would this be OK?
>>>
>>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNLOCKED-S...er-PAP2T-NA-2-

>Port-FXS-Router-Internet-fast-HOT-/190600767782?
>pt=UK_Computing_MicrophonesPhones_RL&hash=item2c6 0b0e926#ht_5448wt_902
>>
>> Yes that's fine, I have two of those. You might find that it doesn't
>> come with a RJ11 to British phone plug adapter, so you might need to buy
>> one.

>But those things have a serious overheating issue.

Not in my experience.
I have two here running 24/7, neither of them ever gets beyond "barely
warm to the touch", and that includes the wall-warts. They don't crash
and need resetting either.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Adnokes_NOSCAN

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:44:52 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse code:

>>But those things have a serious overheating issue.

> Not in my experience.
> I have two here running 24/7, neither of them ever gets beyond "barely
> warm to the touch", and that includes the wall-warts. They don't crash
> and need resetting either.

Bullshit. For one thing they have a high current PSU, and with high
current comes heat. You're talking out of your arse!

Just Google "pap2 overheating". Dear oh dear.

Woody

"Adnokes_NOSCAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jrnqck$i0m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:44:52 +0100, Graham. tubthumped in morse
> code:
>
>>>But those things have a serious overheating issue.

>> Not in my experience.
>> I have two here running 24/7, neither of them ever gets beyond
>> "barely
>> warm to the touch", and that includes the wall-warts. They
>> don't crash
>> and need resetting either.

> Bullshit. For one thing they have a high current PSU, and with
> high
> current comes heat. You're talking out of your arse!
>
> Just Google "pap2 overheating". Dear oh dear.

Why is it necessary to abuse someone for stating a fact as they
find it?

For the record I also have a PAP2 and it doesn't run above barely
warm either so would you like to explain that one - preferably
politely?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Harry Stottle

"Adnokes_NOSCAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jrnqck$i0m$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Bullshit. For one thing they have a high current PSU, and with high
> current comes heat. You're talking out of your arse!
>
> Just Google "pap2 overheating". Dear oh dear.

I just did that and there are reports of some fake Chinese pap2 units being
sold on eBay that overheat, genuine ones seem fine.