Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No More TIVO

No More TIVO

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:14:01 +1200, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 00:54:23 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Jun 14, 4:07*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Its will never take of *here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
>>> Caps and Internet TV

>>Wakey wakey Woger. 120Gb and up caps are commonplace now. That's a lot
>>of SD movies.

>List all these ISP that have high caps that don't cost the earth.
>

>I think that TelstraClear its around $175 for 140GB..

I have a 400 Gbyte cap for $129.00 per month from Worldnet:

http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/

And on their UFB plans you can get 1 Tbyte a month for $199.95

http://www.worldnet.co.nz/ufb/residential.php

Times are finally changing here in NZ.

>I have a NZ radio recording from a OECD data manager that was stating
>in France that they get unlimited and 28TV channels for $40.
>
>So dream on
>

>>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57746295116638...
>>>
>>> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

JohnO

On Jun 14, 8:14*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 00:54:23 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >On Jun 14, 4:07*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Its will never take of *here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
> >> Caps and Internet TV

> >Wakey wakey Woger. 120Gb and up caps are commonplace now. That's a lot
> >of SD movies.

> List all these ISP that have high caps that don't cost the earth.
>
> I think that TelstraClear its around $175 for 140GB..
>
> I have a NZ radio recording from a OECD *data *manager that was stating
> in France *that they get unlimited *and 28TV channels for $40.
>
> So dream on

No dreaming, you demented old fool. I just told you: Telecom do phone
plus 120Gb adsl2+ for $105.

> >>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57746295116638....

> >> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

Frank Williams

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:10:14 +1200, Fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 14/06/2012 7:21 p.m., Richard wrote:
>> On 6/14/2012 4:07 PM, Frank Williams wrote:

>>> Its will never take of here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
>>> Caps and Internet TV
>>>

>> Look at snaps additional blocks - or orcon. Or slingshots flatrate plan
>> with no cap at all that people I know regually push over a terabyte thru
>> each month.
>>
>>> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

>> Backing up stuff, uploading HD video etc, better video chat etc. a
>> limited 1.2 megabit upload really limits your ability to do things like
>> that.
>>
>> isky is zero rated on many many ISPs - not going to see better quality
>> till there is an overall better speed to people.
>>
>> Ultrafast broadband will allow other providers to operate over the
>> fibre, so nothing stopping sky or someone operating over one of the
>> other ports on the ONT box with their own managed service. Would be nice
>> to see the ethernet port on the sky box used for something useful.
>>

>> Anyway, back to the subject. Tivo is the best dvb-t recorder - not many
>> people would dispute that. It has options for getting the content off
>> it, for playing it on another box on the network, and a usable

You need the Home Network software to do that and its not sold here..

The TVIO that was sold here is very Old 2006 vintage.

>> Im hoping they are off the shelves as they are bringing out a better
>> one, since they may discount them even furthur and I need to get
>> something to record choice tv on since I cant mysky it.

>Why not get one of those usb gizzmos and record it on your computer?

Yes I have one sold on TradeMe for some $35 mine came direct from Deal
extreme, I cant use mine due to not having a Antenna feed handy

Geopelia

Will they bring in something as easy to use as the present tape recording
machines?
I just get Menu and put in the channel and time. It will rewind and fast
forward too.

There needs to be something the average person can use, with a manual in
simple English.

Frank Williams

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 01:38:25 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:14:01 +1200, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 00:54:23 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Wakey wakey Woger. 120Gb and up caps are commonplace now. That's a lot
>>>of SD movies.

>>List all these ISP that have high caps that don't cost the earth.
>>

>>I think that TelstraClear its around $175 for 140GB..

>I have a 400 Gbyte cap for $129.00 per month from Worldnet:
>
> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/
>
>And on their UFB plans you can get 1 Tbyte a month for $199.95
>
> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/ufb/residential.php
>
>Times are finally changing here in NZ.

No they are not way way overpriced than the OECD..

>>I have a NZ radio recording from a OECD data manager that was stating
>>in France that they get unlimited and 28TV channels for $40.
>>
>>So dream on

Frank Williams

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:13:28 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jun 14, 8:14*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 00:54:23 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >Wakey wakey Woger. 120Gb and up caps are commonplace now. That's a lot
>> >of SD movies.

>> List all these ISP that have high caps that don't cost the earth.
>>
>> I think that TelstraClear its around $175 for 140GB..
>>
>> I have a NZ radio recording from a OECD *data *manager that was stating
>> in France *that they get unlimited *and 28TV channels for $40.
>>
>> So dream on

>No dreaming, you demented old fool. I just told you: Telecom do phone
>plus 120Gb adsl2+ for $105.

Yes way over priced by some 500%

Frank Williams

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:49:39 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Will they bring in something as easy to use as the present tape recording
>machines?
>I just get Menu and put in the channel and time. It will rewind and fast
>forward too.
>
>There needs to be something the average person can use, with a manual in
>simple English.

I do hope that you was not thinking in getting a TIVO as they are very
old and bulky and need a Internet connection to work.

Yes just get a DishTV T1050 is very easy to use, you turn it on from
standby push the Guide button select the Channel skip down to the TV
program you wish to record the press the Red button, if you wish to
record the series you push the Blue button then place the unite back in
standby, its that simple.

I have been using 3 VCR's and I have found that this is the best option
as you can also record 2 TV channels at the same time and you don't even
have to do any thing to use that feature, its totally automatic.

Was/is being listed for $298 with JB HiFi

Donchano

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:46:59 +1200, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:49:39 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Will they bring in something as easy to use as the present tape recording
>>machines?
>>I just get Menu and put in the channel and time. It will rewind and fast
>>forward too.
>>
>>There needs to be something the average person can use, with a manual in
>>simple English.
>>

>I do hope that you was not thinking in getting a TIVO as they are very
>old and bulky and need a Internet connection to work.

"I do hope you was not thinking ..."

Woger's English is about as simple as it gets. Simply atrocious.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
(snip)

>>I think that TelstraClear its around $175 for 140GB..

>I have a 400 Gbyte cap for $129.00 per month from Worldnet:
> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/
>And on their UFB plans you can get 1 Tbyte a month for $199.95
> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/ufb/residential.php
>Times are finally changing here in NZ.

Yet sadly, the data charges are still really high in NZ relative to
everywhere else. Yes, I know there's a small pipe ... but I reckon that's
just an excuse to charge high prices.

Frank Williams

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:53:05 +1200, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:46:59 +1200, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:49:39 +1200, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Will they bring in something as easy to use as the present tape recording
>>>machines?
>>>I just get Menu and put in the channel and time. It will rewind and fast
>>>forward too.
>>>
>>>There needs to be something the average person can use, with a manual in
>>>simple English.
>>>

>>I do hope that you was not thinking in getting a TIVO as they are very
>>old and bulky and need a Internet connection to work.

>"I do hope you was not thinking ..."
>
>Woger's English is about as simple as it gets. Simply atrocious.

And the people that pick on ones spelling and grammar are classed as the
lowest scum you can get...

Seems that if you have noting to contribute then shut the f up

MS at it Again. No More TiVo or Pvr's William Brown NZ Computing 0 01-25-2011 09:00 AM
Tivo movie transfer problem with Tivo Desktop and EtiVo Arawak Computer Support 2 03-24-2008 07:27 AM
TIVO dwacon Computer Support 3 02-20-2005 03:44 PM
Using pc as a Tivo enjay Computer Support 0 03-06-2004 06:08 PM
Telly - Open Source, hackable "Tivo" and much more..... Steve NZ Computing 1 07-23-2003 09:44 PM

Advertisments