Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No More TIVO

No More TIVO

Frank Williams

I see that they have been removed from sale at all Noel Leeming stores,
was told be the manager that they have been sent to a clearing house in
Auckland

JohnO

On Jun 14, 3:05*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I see that they have been removed from sale at all Noel Leeming stores,
> was told be the manager that they have been sent to a clearing house in
> Auckland

They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.

Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.

And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

Frank Williams

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jun 14, 3:05*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I see that they have been removed from sale at all Noel Leeming stores,
>> was told be the manager that they have been sent to a clearing house in
>> Auckland

>They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.
>
>Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.
>
>And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

Its will never take of here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
Caps and Internet TV

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

Richard

On 6/14/2012 4:07 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 14, 3:05 pm, Frank Williams<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I see that they have been removed from sale at all Noel Leeming stores,
>>> was told be the manager that they have been sent to a clearing house in
>>> Auckland

>> They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.
>>
>> Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.
>>
>> And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

> Its will never take of here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
> Caps and Internet TV

Look at snaps additional blocks - or orcon. Or slingshots flatrate plan
with no cap at all that people I know regually push over a terabyte thru
each month.

> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

Backing up stuff, uploading HD video etc, better video chat etc. a
limited 1.2 megabit upload really limits your ability to do things like
that.

isky is zero rated on many many ISPs - not going to see better quality
till there is an overall better speed to people.

Ultrafast broadband will allow other providers to operate over the
fibre, so nothing stopping sky or someone operating over one of the
other ports on the ONT box with their own managed service. Would be nice
to see the ethernet port on the sky box used for something useful.

Anyway, back to the subject. Tivo is the best dvb-t recorder - not many
people would dispute that. It has options for getting the content off
it, for playing it on another box on the network, and a usable

Im hoping they are off the shelves as they are bringing out a better
one, since they may discount them even furthur and I need to get
something to record choice tv on since I cant mysky it.

JohnO

On Jun 14, 4:07*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 14, 3:05*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I see that they have been removed from sale at all Noel Leeming stores,
> >> was told be the manager that they have been sent to a clearing house in
> >> Auckland

> >They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.

> >Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.

> >And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

> Its will never take of *here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
> Caps and Internet TV

Wakey wakey Woger. 120Gb and up caps are commonplace now. That's a lot
of SD movies.

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57746295116638...
>
> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

Frank Williams

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:08:42 +1200, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.
>>>
>>> Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.
>>>
>>> And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

>> Its will never take of here due to Low Data caps, read this about
>> Data Caps and Internet TV
>>
>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
>>

>> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

>Yes, but doubt you'd understand.
>
>When it becomes available, data caps will adjust to something realistic for
>the times - just like they have now compared to a year ago, or even 6 months
>ago....
>
>geoff

NEVER

Frank Williams

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:21:53 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 6/14/2012 4:07 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.
>>>
>>> Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.
>>>
>>> And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

>> Its will never take of here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
>> Caps and Internet TV
>>

>Look at snaps additional blocks - or orcon. Or slingshots flatrate plan
>with no cap at all that people I know regually push over a terabyte thru
>each month.
>
>> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

>Backing up stuff, uploading HD video etc, better video chat etc. a
>limited 1.2 megabit upload really limits your ability to do things like
>that.
>
>isky is zero rated on many many ISPs - not going to see better quality
>till there is an overall better speed to people.
>
>Ultrafast broadband will allow other providers to operate over the
>fibre, so nothing stopping sky or someone operating over one of the
>other ports on the ONT box with their own managed service. Would be nice
>to see the ethernet port on the sky box used for something useful.
>

>Anyway, back to the subject. Tivo is the best dvb-t recorder - not many
>people would dispute that. It has options for getting the content off
>it, for playing it on another box on the network, and a usable
>
>Im hoping they are off the shelves as they are bringing out a better
>one, since they may discount them even furthur and I need to get
>something to record choice tv on since I cant mysky it.

No its gone belly up and ALL the better ones are Cable only

Richard

On 6/14/2012 8:02 PM, Frank Williams wrote:

> No its gone belly up and ALL the better ones are Cable only

[Citation Needed]

Frank Williams

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 00:54:23 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jun 14, 4:07*pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.

>> >Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.

>> >And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

>> Its will never take of *here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
>> Caps and Internet TV

>Wakey wakey Woger. 120Gb and up caps are commonplace now. That's a lot
>of SD movies.

List all these ISP that have high caps that don't cost the earth.

I think that TelstraClear its around $175 for 140GB..

I have a NZ radio recording from a OECD data manager that was stating
in France that they get unlimited and 28TV channels for $40.

So dream on

>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57746295116638...
>>
>> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

Fred

On 14/06/2012 7:21 p.m., Richard wrote:
> On 6/14/2012 4:07 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT), JohnO<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> They probably sold none in the last year anyway - it's a lemon.
>>>
>>> Netflix, Hulu and iTunes/AppleTV are all far superior.
>>>
>>> And no problem getting around the US only restriction either.

>> Its will never take of here due to Low Data caps, read this about Data
>> Caps and Internet TV
>>

> Look at snaps additional blocks - or orcon. Or slingshots flatrate plan
> with no cap at all that people I know regually push over a terabyte thru
> each month.
>
>> Can any one explain why we need Ultra fast Broadband...??

> Backing up stuff, uploading HD video etc, better video chat etc. a
> limited 1.2 megabit upload really limits your ability to do things like
> that.
>
> isky is zero rated on many many ISPs - not going to see better quality
> till there is an overall better speed to people.
>
> Ultrafast broadband will allow other providers to operate over the
> fibre, so nothing stopping sky or someone operating over one of the
> other ports on the ONT box with their own managed service. Would be nice
> to see the ethernet port on the sky box used for something useful.
>

> Anyway, back to the subject. Tivo is the best dvb-t recorder - not many
> people would dispute that. It has options for getting the content off
> it, for playing it on another box on the network, and a usable
>
> Im hoping they are off the shelves as they are bringing out a better
> one, since they may discount them even furthur and I need to get
> something to record choice tv on since I cant mysky it.

Why not get one of those usb gizzmos and record it on your computer?

MS at it Again. No More TiVo or Pvr's William Brown NZ Computing 0 01-25-2011 09:00 AM
Tivo movie transfer problem with Tivo Desktop and EtiVo Arawak Computer Support 2 03-24-2008 07:27 AM
TIVO dwacon Computer Support 3 02-20-2005 03:44 PM
Using pc as a Tivo enjay Computer Support 0 03-06-2004 06:08 PM
Telly - Open Source, hackable "Tivo" and much more..... Steve NZ Computing 1 07-23-2003 09:44 PM

Advertisments