Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > applets

applets

bob smith

Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they pretty much dead?

Knute Johnson

On 6/13/2012 7:54 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they pretty much dead?

I don't know if they are serious but there are still lots of Java
Applets being created and deployed.

--

Knute Johnson

markspace

On 6/13/2012 7:54 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they
> pretty much dead?

I like Knute's answer. Applets seem to be used occasionally, where
nothing else will do. However it seems to me the deployment to users
mechanism is still kinda clunky, and therefore applets tend to be
avoided. Applets are still heavyweight relative to alternatives like
Flash, HTML5 and JavaScript. They boot more slowly, and therefore are
perceived to provide a lesser user experience.

Stefan Ram

markspace <-@.> writes:
>However it seems to me the deployment to users mechanism is
>still kinda clunky, and therefore applets tend to be avoided.

I never understood the decline of applets. Last time I
asked, I was told IIRC that the problems had to do with
upward or downward compatibility. (Possibly some old applets
were not running with newer Java versions?) But IIRC no one
did mention the deployment. So I get the impression that it
is not really obvious what the actual problem with applets
is. Recently some security problems with Java made it into
the press. So nowadays one might even give this as a reason.

To me, the problems are more in the realm of HTML
integration: Applets usually have a fixed size like an
image, while HTML documents are free size. People want to
script the HTML doc model and while this is possible with a
Java applet using a JavaScript interface layer it is not
directly supported. Java Applets instead should have direct
support for a HTML document as their primary user interface,
even to the point where for output of graphics embedded
pictures (for example GIF images) are created on the fly.

On could still start to do this today with HTML 5. All
that is done today with JavaScript should also be possible
with Java.

Knute Johnson

On 6/13/2012 9:09 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> markspace <-@.> writes:
>> However it seems to me the deployment to users mechanism is
>> still kinda clunky, and therefore applets tend to be avoided.

> I never understood the decline of applets. Last time I
> asked, I was told IIRC that the problems had to do with
> upward or downward compatibility. (Possibly some old applets
> were not running with newer Java versions?) But IIRC no one
> did mention the deployment. So I get the impression that it
> is not really obvious what the actual problem with applets
> is. Recently some security problems with Java made it into
> the press. So nowadays one might even give this as a reason.
>
> To me, the problems are more in the realm of HTML
> integration: Applets usually have a fixed size like an
> image, while HTML documents are free size. People want to
> script the HTML doc model and while this is possible with a
> Java applet using a JavaScript interface layer it is not
> directly supported. Java Applets instead should have direct
> support for a HTML document as their primary user interface,
> even to the point where for output of graphics embedded
> pictures (for example GIF images) are created on the fly.
>
> On could still start to do this today with HTML 5. All
> that is done today with JavaScript should also be possible
> with Java.

Isn't that a lot of the stuff that JavaFX is supposed to do?

--

Knute Johnson

Nasser M. Abbasi

On 6/13/2012 9:54 AM, bob smith wrote:
> Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they pretty much dead?

I now use Mathematica to make applets.

These are written in Mathematica though, not Java.

They run in the browser, and need a plugin installed (like
with Java). there are now 8,000 applets at this site to run

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/

I've written applets in Java, and I found that it is easier/faster
for me to make an applet using Mathematica than with Java.

There is really limited options for make applets that
run in the browser. The ones I know about are:

1. Java applets
2. Mathematica
3. Flash
4. HTML5-Javascript
5. JavaFx
6. Microsoft Silverlight

--Nasser

Roedy Green

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), bob smith
who said :

>Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they pretty much dead?

The advantage is people can play with them without any commitment to
install. They require no skill to use. You just start clicking. You
would be amazed how many people who call themselves Java programmers
cannot unzip a jar and run it.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew

Roedy Green wrote:
> bob smith wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they pretty much dead?

> The advantage is people can play with them without any commitment to
> install. They require no skill to use. You just start clicking. You
> would be amazed how many people who call themselves Java programmers
> cannot unzip a jar and run it.

Or run it without unzipping it.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

David Lamb

On 14/06/2012 4:00 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT), bob smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>> Do any serious Java developers still work on applets? Or are they pretty much dead?

> The advantage is people can play with them without any commitment to
> install. They require no skill to use. You just start clicking.

You can "just start clicking" with Java Web Start as well, as long as
you've installed a Java implementation. ISTR that Sun introduced JWS in
part because browser implementations of Java (as used by applets)
weren't keeping up with changes and at the time in particular often
didn't have any of the javax.* packages.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 03:08:41 -0700, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>> cannot unzip a jar and run it.

>Or run it without unzipping it.

what I meant was unzip a bundle including an executable jar.