Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Infrared Time-Lapse Movie

Infrared Time-Lapse Movie

RichA

On Jun 12, 3:54*pm, M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here is a very interesting infrared effect.
>
> I shot a time-lapse sequence with an IR filter (using a GoProHD2). The
> trees made a very sudden dramatic change.
>
> The movie is only 10 seconds total. It's at the bottom of the page here:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html
>
> --
> m-m
> Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

IR is the most efficient haze-cutting filter, works best of course if
the camera has had its cyan IR filter removed.

PeterN

On 6/12/2012 11:16 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

> "PeterN" wrote:
> On 6/12/2012 7:53 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>
>> The conversion may have added an IR pass filter (that blocks most or all
>> visible light) in front of the sensor. If it didn't, you need an IR
>> filter. There are some odd color effects you can get by doing color
>> photography with IR contamination of the colors, but I'm not fond of
>> those.
>>

> It was a cheapo conversion. Just removed the IR filter.
>
> Here is the result:
> <http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Landscapes/21271534_mw4B9R#!i=1730614889&k=WGpJLmN&lb=1&s=A>
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> That looks good to me. Close to what I am getting with a built-in IR
> filter.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/127605673/large
> http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/140083759/large
>

> I will sometimes do color shifting in PS, which I can control:
>
> <http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Abstract/21271728_bCdThq#!i=1693670410&k=4gXkj6L>

I like your second image. though a smidge more detail in the highlights,
and a darker sky would add a lot of drama to the scene

--
Peter

PeterN

On 6/12/2012 11:21 PM, M-M wrote:
> In article<4fd7efea$0$26630$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>,
> PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It also seems to be that a glass filter
>> will greatly extend the exposure time, making IR useless for anything
>> but landscapes.

> True if the camera has an IR blocking filter. But if yours is converted,
> you should easily be able to hand-hold the camera. I can get 1/125 @ ISO
> 100.
>
> The sensor will see plenty of light come through- just not visible
> light. So if you try to look through a Hoya R72 you will not see
> anything but the camera will "see" a lot.

I was indeed referring to a filter like the Hoya R72 or a Wratten 87. I
don't think I could hand hold a camera with either of those.

--
Peter