Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Updates to the ccl

Reply
Thread Tools

Updates to the ccl

 
 
jacob navia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2012
Le 07/06/12 17:04, jacob navia a ้crit :
> Hi


I have updated a lot the documentation, introducing color figures,
more tables and explanations.

If possible take a look, and send me feedback about the layout, the
contents whatever


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malcolm McLean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2012
ื‘ืชืืจื™ืš ื™ื•ื ืฉื*ื™,18 ื‘ื™ื•ื*ื™ 2012 10:10:09 UTC+1, ืžืืช (E-Mail Removed):
> On Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:32:20 PM UTC+1, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> > ื‘ืชืืจื™ืš ื™ื•ื ืฉื™ืฉื™, 8 ื‘ื™ื•ื*ื™ 2012 21:55:22 UTC+1, ืžืืช Ian Collins:

>
> > My own view is that C isn't the right language for generic containers
> > libraries, partly because of the dependency problem, but partly
> > because it's as easy to manipulate pointers on an ad hoc basis as to use an
> > interface.

>
> strongly diagree! For 1. it isn't *that* easy (or clear), for 2. you really shouldn't be mixing conatiner code with application code. programming issupposed to be about abstraction- so use some! I seem to have spent an inordinate amount of time debugging (other people's) linked list, queues and stacks.
>

Go onto my website. Go to binary image processing, binary utilities.
You'll find a floodfill routine. It contains an ad hoc and not particularly
efficient implementation of a queue. Now rewrite it using Jacob's container
library.
Do you think you've got something better or worse?
--
The flood fill algortihm, on my website
http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/www

Do you think ypu've improved that rouine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Marco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2012
On Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:04:46 AM UTC-7, jacob navia wrote:
> Hi
> I have uploaded a new "templated" version of the double linked list
> container, and updated the documentation.


If a library can compile on more than one C compiler (as you stated) then please continue announcing updates here.

Also it helps to develop a thick skin.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jacob navia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2012
Le 07/07/12 14:14, Malcolm McLean a รฉcrit :

> Go onto my website. Go to binary image processing, binary utilities.
> You'll find a floodfill routine. It contains an ad hoc and not particularly
> efficient implementation of a queue. Now rewrite it using Jacob's container
> library.
> Do you think you've got something better or worse?
>


1) Since the ccl would be in the language you wouldn't need to
1.A: Write the code for a queue
1.B: Debug it

2) Since after a few years of usage implementations would improve
you would use better code than what you can write in a few hours.

3) If your software interfaces with other software, the ccl gives you
an easy way of returning queues to the other sofwtare without
writing yet adapter software.

 
Reply With Quote
 
jacob navia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2012
Le 07/07/12 17:01, Marco a ้crit :
> On Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:04:46 AM UTC-7, jacob navia wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have uploaded a new "templated" version of the double linked list
>> container, and updated the documentation.

>
> If a library can compile on more than one C compiler (as you stated) then please continue announcing updates here.
>
> Also it helps to develop a thick skin.
>


Thanks

The library compiles with any compiler. I have tested gcc (different
versions and systems), MSVC (different versions and systems) and lcc.

It compiles in 32 and 64 bits. Haven't tested in 16 bits but should be
OK.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm McLean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2012
ื‘ืชืืจื™ืš ื™ื•ื ืฉื‘ืช,7 ื‘ื™ื•ืœื™ 2012 16:31:15 UTC+1, ืžืืช jacob navia:
> Le 07/07/12 14:14, Malcolm McLean a รฉcrit :
>
>
> 1) Since the ccl would be in the language you wouldn't need to
> 1.A: Write the code for a queue
> 1.B: Debug it
>
> 2) Since after a few years of usage implementations would improve
> you would use better code than what you can write in a few hours.
>
> 3) If your software interfaces with other software, the ccl gives you
> an easy way of returning queues to the other sofwtare without
> writing yet adapter software.
>

These are all advantages. To get 3 and arguably 2 queues need to be in the language. 1 is often cited as an advantage, because it seems so obvious. Itisn't really. Anyone with a few hours' exposure to C should be able to write strcpy(). Thne function's still useful, because it's a standard way of performing a commonly needed operation. The same's almost true of queues.

The main reason floodfill() doesn't use the ccl library is that it isn't standard. There's also a reason it doesn't use a slightly more complicated queue that could be more efficient. I want something that anyone can cut and paste, maybe run through to operate on integer buffers or 24 bit rgb buffers,and incorporate into their own projects with a minimum of fuss.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CCL vs STL: a comparison jacob navia C Programming 29 05-12-2012 04:31 PM
Re: ccl HENRY Eshbaugh C Programming 3 08-30-2011 04:10 AM
ccl and stl: design differences jacob navia C Programming 0 04-17-2011 06:55 PM
New release of the C Containers Library (CCL) jacob navia C Programming 117 11-15-2010 04:12 PM
Re: New release of the C Containers Library (CCL) Jon C++ 16 11-09-2010 09:38 AM



Advertisments