Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > God! Panasonic buying into Olympus??!

God! Panasonic buying into Olympus??!

RichA

Could it be a ploy to keep another playing in 4/3rds so Panasonic
won't be left all alone??

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2012...n-olympus.html

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Could it be a ploy to keep another playing in 4/3rds so Panasonic
>won't be left all alone??
>
>http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2012...n-olympus.html

1) Olympus cameras are already using Panasonic sensors, right?

2) The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is in high demand; Dpreview.com gave it their
Gold rating, and yet you can't get your hands on one for love or
money. (Still waiting!) Perhaps a company with a product that
people want but is having trouble meeting demand is considered a good
target for investment capital? I don't know how that works.

3) During the auto-bailout debate, a spokesman for Ford said that if
if GM and Chrysler failed, they would take Ford down with them.
Again, I don't understand how that works.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
| remain, separate." --Ronald Reagan, 10/26/1984

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could it be a ploy to keep another playing in 4/3rds so Panasonic
>won't be left all alone??
>
>http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2012...n-olympus.html

That's a relief.

The alternatives suggested so far (Sony, Fujifilm ...) would have been
far worse partners for Olympus. The only worry is that both Panasonic
and Olympus are financially weak and have been making serious losses.

That was the situation when Konica and Minolta merged, and look what a
disaster that turned out to be! It is not easy to make a strong
company from two weak ones.