Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > create a restore point error

create a restore point error

Jeff Layman

On 07/06/2012 13:41, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:21:46 +0100, Jeff Layman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2012 17:32, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
>>> Hi Rob& Jeff
>>> Finished running sfc/scannow& got a message saying that problems were
>>> found& fixed. however, when I tried to create a restore point the
>>> fault message returned?

>> What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

> Hi Jeff
> Error detected in volume shadow copy service VSS.
> Problem occured while trying to contact VSS writers.
> Verify event system service service& VSS service are running& check
> errors in event logs 0x80042318
>

>> This is from:
>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-18ec25dee7d4
>>
>> You need to check that something called the Volume Shadow Copy service
>> is running. In the Start "Search" box, type services. The search
>> should highlight "Services" If it is highlighted, press the "Enter" key
>> or double click on the word "Services". After a few seconds a list
>> called "Services (Local)" will appear in a new window. Scroll down and
>> find "Volume Shadow Copy". What does it say in the "Status" and
>> "Startup Type" columns?
>>
>> If it shows Stopped, right-click Volume Shadow Copy, and then click
>> Start and set it to Automatic.

> Mine were set to stop& manual
>>
>> Repeat the above for the Windows Installer service.

> Did that too
>>
>> Close the Services window you have opened.
>>
>> Now try to create a system restore point.

> Did that but got the same error message!!
> I did notice in msconfig that selective startup was selected
> But I am unable to change to 'normal', when I do select 'normal' and
> click apply it jumps back to selective?
> Now to find out how to fix!!

One or two other things to check.

You previously posted that you turned system restore off and then back
on. In the System Properties | System Protection | Protection Settings
box, did you check that the "Available Drives" you were trying to set a
restore point on had "Protection" set to "On"?

I'm not sure that it matters, but are you running an administrator
account when you try to create a restore point?

Also see here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-re...re-failed.html

Trouble is, at the top of page 3 it seems that only a repair install
fixed the problem!

There is an interesting solution - for Vista - here:
http://forums.techarena.in/operating...ms/1127680.htm
(see penultimate post by Lillebror)

I have no idea whether or not it would work for Win7 (or what damage it
might do!).

If you find the solution please post it here to assist others.

--

Jeff

Martin ©¿©¬

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:51:13 +0100, Jeff Layman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 07/06/2012 13:41, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:21:46 +0100, Jeff Layman
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

>> Hi Jeff
>> Error detected in volume shadow copy service VSS.
>> Problem occured while trying to contact VSS writers.
>> Verify event system service service& VSS service are running& check
>> errors in event logs 0x80042318
>>

>>> This is from:
>>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-18ec25dee7d4
>>>
>>> You need to check that something called the Volume Shadow Copy service
>>> is running. In the Start "Search" box, type services. The search
>>> should highlight "Services" If it is highlighted, press the "Enter" key
>>> or double click on the word "Services". After a few seconds a list
>>> called "Services (Local)" will appear in a new window. Scroll down and
>>> find "Volume Shadow Copy". What does it say in the "Status" and
>>> "Startup Type" columns?
>>>
>>> If it shows Stopped, right-click Volume Shadow Copy, and then click
>>> Start and set it to Automatic.

>> Mine were set to stop& manual
>>>
>>> Repeat the above for the Windows Installer service.

>> Did that too
>>>
>>> Close the Services window you have opened.
>>>
>>> Now try to create a system restore point.

>> Did that but got the same error message!!
>> I did notice in msconfig that selective startup was selected
>> But I am unable to change to 'normal', when I do select 'normal' and
>> click apply it jumps back to selective?
>> Now to find out how to fix!!

>One or two other things to check.
>
>You previously posted that you turned system restore off and then back
>on. In the System Properties | System Protection | Protection Settings
>box, did you check that the "Available Drives" you were trying to set a
>restore point on had "Protection" set to "On"?
>
>I'm not sure that it matters, but are you running an administrator
>account when you try to create a restore point?
>
>Also see here:
>http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-re...re-failed.html
>
>Trouble is, at the top of page 3 it seems that only a repair install
>fixed the problem!
>
>There is an interesting solution - for Vista - here:
>http://forums.techarens/1127680.htm
>(see penultimate post by Lillebror)

Hi Jeff
Tried the Vista solution, but it didn't work. I don't think it has
done any damage

>I have no idea whether or not it would work for Win7 (or what damage it
>might do!).
>
>If you find the solution please post it here to assist others.

Will do

Thank you very much for sticking with me Jeff

You are not- going to believe what is happening now
I am getting a message saying my copy of windows in NOT genuine"£$%^&!
"I do not believe it" That is what I get buying a 2nd hand laptop"
Perhaps this is the cause of all my problems
--
Regards
Martin

Martin ©¿©¬

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:00:20 -0500, "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, Martin.
>
>> That is what I get buying a 2nd hand laptop" Perhaps this is the cause of
>> all my problems

>Could very well be!
>
>Did you wipe the hard disk of EVERYTHING and reformat before you put
>anything important on it? If not, you have no way to know what garbage the
>previous owner may have installed - or allowed to be installed.
>
>Where did you get your copy of Windows? Was it pre-installed on that
>laptop? If so, then you have no good way to know if it was pirated by some
>previous user. You may need to buy a new retail copy of Windows - unless
>you already own one.

Hi RC
My copy of windows - 7 home premium 64 bit was pre-installed
I have a couple of retail copies but not home premium which would not
necessitate a re-format

>If you post the make and model of your laptop, perhaps someone here can tell
>you how to restore it to factory original condition.

My laptop is a Samsung RC520 which has a restore function included,
but I was hoping not to have to go that route as Windows Easy Transfer
makes a mess of Outlook Contacts