Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Fixed address for vpdn users

Fixed address for vpdn users

Rob

I have configured a vpdn for l2tp/IPsec dialin users on an 1811.
An "ip local pool" is used (in the Virtual-Template) to assign an
IP address to the caller.

I would prefer if each username had a fixed IP address that is used
for every session.

On an earlier router (3725) running 12.4(25)d the users got an address
from the pool in the order they called, and when they called again
they usually got the same address. An exception was when the call
failed on the client side and they called again before the router
noticed it, then they got a new address.

On the 1811 running 15.1(4)M4 the same user gets a new address everytime
they call. When "show ip local pool <poolname>" is done, it shows
the same username with many different IP addresses. Even when the
call has been cleared for quite some time, the same address is not
re-used until the entire pool has been used.

Is it possible to revert to the previous behaviour?
Is it possible to assign a fixed address to a username?

Doug McIntyre

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have configured a vpdn for l2tp/IPsec dialin users on an 1811.
>An "ip local pool" is used (in the Virtual-Template) to assign an
>IP address to the caller.

>I would prefer if each username had a fixed IP address that is used
>for every session.

Use a RADIUS server.

>On an earlier router (3725) running 12.4(25)d the users got an address
>from the pool in the order they called, and when they called again
>they usually got the same address. An exception was when the call
>failed on the client side and they called again before the router
>noticed it, then they got a new address.

I don't believe the local IP allocation was ever officially defined.
It changed from major version to version of IOS. You happened to be
running one that you got used to.

>On the 1811 running 15.1(4)M4 the same user gets a new address everytime
>they call. When "show ip local pool <poolname>" is done, it shows
>the same username with many different IP addresses. Even when the
>call has been cleared for quite some time, the same address is not
>re-used until the entire pool has been used.

>Is it possible to revert to the previous behaviour?

Not to my knowledge. I suppose it is possible, but I hadn't seen
allocation of local IP pool ever really defined previously.

>Is it possible to assign a fixed address to a username?

Sure, with RADIUS.

While they did up a light weight RADIUS server for the WiFi boxes
running within IOS, I would tend to doubt that got ported out to other
platforms.

At least the 15.1M RADIUS user guide doesn't seem to mention it.

Rob

Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>I have configured a vpdn for l2tp/IPsec dialin users on an 1811.
>>An "ip local pool" is used (in the Virtual-Template) to assign an
>>IP address to the caller.

>>I would prefer if each username had a fixed IP address that is used
>>for every session.

> Use a RADIUS server.

Thanks, I'll see how I can use that to solve my issue.
It is just a very small setup with 12 usernames.

> I don't believe the local IP allocation was ever officially defined.
> It changed from major version to version of IOS. You happened to be
> running one that you got used to.

The pool keeps a username that last used the address, and there is
a "recycle" option that appears to be affecting things the other
direction that I want them to go. I think it kept the same IP
for the same user for many versions that we used.

Ho to prevent vpdn users to access router ? John Doe Cisco 2 10-20-2006 12:50 PM
Free Fixed-Width/Fixed-Pitch fonts? johnp HTML 4 05-23-2005 06:14 AM
Assigning local user static address via VPDN? Vinny Abello Cisco 0 12-06-2003 01:53 AM
VPDN on 827 Michael Ling Cisco 1 07-20-2003 05:33 AM
VPDN at 9600bps Frank Cisco 0 07-08-2003 04:15 PM

Advertisments