Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Selling my Sipgate box - any security issues?

Selling my Sipgate box - any security issues?

stainburn@gmail.com

05-30-2012
I've used Sipgate via my Virgin Media broadband using a Netgear TA612VSP for some years. I've now decided to abandon Sipgate and get a proper landline..

In the early days when I first got the Netgear Sipgate device I remember logging into the thing via a browser to access the settings. I've tried doingthis again today with a view to clearing out my settings but can't seem toaccess is using the IP address suggested on the Sipgate website. I suspectthis may be because I now have my Netgear/Sipgate device connected to my recently acquired Virgin Media wireless router (Netgear again) - when I started out I had a simple Virgin cable modem.

So the questions:

Is there a way to access the settings in my device so I can clear them?
If I don't clear them, and sell the device, what are the security implications?

Ta

BC

05-30-2012
On 30/05/2012 19:37, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've used Sipgate via my Virgin Media broadband using a Netgear TA612VSP for some years. I've now decided to abandon Sipgate and get a proper landline.
>
> In the early days when I first got the Netgear Sipgate device I remember logging into the thing via a browser to access the settings. I've tried doing this again today with a view to clearing out my settings but can't seem to access is using the IP address suggested on the Sipgate website. I suspect this may be because I now have my Netgear/Sipgate device connected to my recently acquired Virgin Media wireless router (Netgear again) - when I started out I had a simple Virgin cable modem.
>
> So the questions:
>
> Is there a way to access the settings in my device so I can clear them?
> If I don't clear them, and sell the device, what are the security implications?
>
> Ta

You should be able to get the correct I.P. for the voip adaptor by
logging into your VM router and looking for the list of connected
equipment. As you're voip adaptor is connected to a router, the I.P.
address will be different to that on the sipgate website.

Owain

05-30-2012
On May 30, 7:37*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there a way to access the settings in my device so I can clear them?
> If I don't clear them, and sell the device, what are the security implications?

someone else can make and receive calls on your account, pick up your
voicemail etc.

You could also change your Sipgate SIP password on the Sipgate website
to be extra sure. (Log into website, click on Settings at top right,
on Overview tab you will see: SIP password change
Please note: changing your SIP password will require the
reconfiguration of all your connected devices.
SIP password: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Owain

stainburn@gmail.com

05-31-2012
OK great thanks for that