Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Simple SIP phone for providing support

Simple SIP phone for providing support

Mark Rogers

I'm looking for a simple SIP phone to supply to a customer for support purposes.

Therefore I don't need a desktop phone with the capability of dialing anywhere; I just want the ability to preconfigure it with (eg) a Sipgate accountand give it the ability to call a pre-defined support contact. If it coulddo nothing else that would be a bonus (ie you can use it to call the support contact, or to be called by that support contact, but it does nothing else). Something equivalent to those taxi callpoints in supermarkets (although I have no idea whether they're VoIP or not).

Suggestions?

I'm looking for something that will just plug into network and power and "just work".

Although the ability to limit the functionality would be useful, I'm not too concerned at this stage if I can't do that. The equivalent of a wireless VoIP handset but on a cable would be fine; the problem I have is with the big desktop phones not being very suitable for the purpose mainly because oftheir size.

Mark Rogers

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm looking for a simple SIP phone to supply to a customer for support purposes.
>
>Therefore I don't need a desktop phone with the capability of dialing
>anywhere; I just want the ability to preconfigure it with (eg) a Sipgate
>account and give it the ability to call a pre-defined support contact.
>If it could do nothing else that would be a bonus (ie you can use it to
>call the support contact, or to be called by that support contact, but
>it does nothing else). Something equivalent to those taxi callpoints in
>supermarkets (although I have no idea whether they're VoIP or not).
>
>Suggestions?
>
>I'm looking for something that will just plug into network and power and
>"just work".

Good luck there there

However the Grandstream phones can be configured in "bat phone" mode
whereby they dial a pre-set number when you lift the handset...

I'm sure others can do this too, but those are the only ones I've
experience of. (in that mode)

Biggest issue is going to be reliable NAT and firewall traversal at sites
where you don't control their Internet connection.

Gordon

Chris Davies

Gordon Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> the Grandstream phones can be configured in "bat phone" mode
> whereby they dial a pre-set number when you lift the handset...

> I'm sure others can do this too, but those are the only ones I've
> experience of. (in that mode)

Anything based on the Sipura firmware can also be configured this
way. Such phones are usually branded either as Linksys or Cisco, and
often have a model reference starting SPA.

As an example (although I haven't used this one specifically), the SPA301
looks plausible.

Chris

(PeteCresswell)

Per Mark Rogers:
>I'm looking for a simple SIP phone to supply to a customer for support purposes.
>
>Therefore I don't need a desktop phone with the capability of dialing anywhere; I just want the ability to preconfigure it with (eg) a Sipgate account and give it the ability to call a pre-defined support contact. If it could do nothing else that would be a bonus (ie you can use it to call the support contact, or to be called by that support contact, but it does nothing else). Something equivalent to those taxi callpoints in supermarkets (although I have no idea whether they're VoIP or not).
>
>Suggestions?

I don't know much - and don't even know if I know enough to fully
understand the question/requirements.... but here goes anyhow...

I'm assuming wifi availability.

Does the client have an iPhone, iPod, or iPad?

If so, how about installing one of the VOIP phone apps like
"Bria".

- Zero desk footprint

- Integrated with something the client
is already comfortable with

- Cheap
--
Pete Cresswell

Mark Rogers

On Monday, May 28, 2012 11:11:22 AM UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> Your main options are: -
>
> 1. Siemens Gigaset - Dect phone, small box, cheap. Can all be set up in
> advance. We have sent them abroad pre-configured and they just plug in and
> work first time. The end user can also call other numbers, but you can
> control this by configuring the account or only topping it up with a fiver.
> Station to station calls are free.

I'm liking this option.

When I Google for Gigaset I find lots of different models, a lot of which are DECT only. Am I just looking for any Gigaset model with IP? Can I use a Gigaset IP/DECT base station with any DECT handsets?

Mark Rogers

On Monday, May 28, 2012 11:12:34 AM UTC+1, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Biggest issue is going to be reliable NAT and firewall traversal at sites
> where you don't control their Internet connection.

What are the typical issues that I should look for (and solutions to them if they exist!)? Probably a FAQ so a pointer to it would suffice.

Any recommendations for SIP providers for this sort of setup? What I'm looking for is the ability to create several accounts which I can manage centrally, with any charges on a PAYG basis (it's quite likely that many lines would go for months without being used so I'd like to avoid the x/month/line model)

Mark

Owain

On Jun 1, 2:24*pm, Mark Rogers wrote:
> > Biggest issue is going to be reliable NAT and firewall traversal at sites
> > where you don't control their Internet connection.

> What are the typical issues that I should look for (and solutions to themif they exist!)? Probably a FAQ so a pointer to it would suffice.

In corporate environments VoIP traffic may be explicitly banned and
require internal bureaucracy to get approved. Even connecting an
unofficial attachment to the network may be detected at the MAC
address level.

> Any recommendations for SIP providers for this sort of setup? What I'm looking for is the ability to create several accounts which I can manage centrally, with any charges on a PAYG basis (it's quite likely that many lines would go for months without being used so I'd like to avoid the x/month/line model)

If you set up your own SIP server eg Asterisk then there would be no
ongoing charges. You can buy small server boxes ready configured.

Owain

Mark Rogers

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 1:09:43 PM UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> Currently available is the N300 with C610H handset with one fixed and 3 VOIP
> calls, six accounts.

Thanks for this info.

I've just ordered a second hand N300A off eBay and an S58H handset from Amazon to get me started (I think that handset will do what I need? I figured that worst case it was GAP compatible so would be useful for 23!)

> Look at http://www.nimans.net/ to see what is available and what it does.
> or http://ordering.nimans.net/category/...?brand=gigaset

Had a quick look there, to be honest I didn't find it very helpful in termsof working out which handsets go with which base. I have requested an account form though, as buying off eBay to play at home is one thing, but if we're looking at this commercially I need to take it more seriously

Mark

Mark Rogers

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 11:46:53 PM UTC+1, Owain wrote:
> If you set up your own SIP server eg Asterisk then there would be no
> ongoing charges. You can buy small server boxes ready configured.

OK, I've "apt-get install"ed Asterisk on my Desktop to play with. For "internal" calls I can see that this has to be the way to go; presumably for a link to the PSTN I just need a SIP account with someone else to link my Asterisk install to? (By that point it'll be an Asterisk install on a machine on the net, not on my desktop, of-course!)

Mark

Mark Rogers

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:30:19 PM UTC+1, ale.cx wrote:
> Yes. That's what I do with Sipgate. You can also buy hardware so you can use
> it with your phone line too, if that floats your boat.

I plan on using a VPS on the 'net for this so no phone lines. Which suits me: I spent ages playing with Asterisk in the past focusing on the phone line side of things and became very frustrated with the whole thing. To be fair it was with cheap hardware off eBay, but it's put me off trying to configure Asterisk again until now, so keeping it away from phone lines would be great

Using Asterisk, is it the case that I would be able to use the geo number on my Sipgate account to come into my Asterisk box (VPS), from where I'd be able to connect out to the extensions by dialing extension numbers? If so Ithink that solves pretty much all my problems (aside from making it all work of-course....)

Mark