Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Simple SIP phone for providing support

Simple SIP phone for providing support

Graham.

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 04:18:57 -0700 (PDT), Mark Rogers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:30:19 PM UTC+1, ale.cx wrote:
>> Yes. That's what I do with Sipgate. You can also buy hardware so you can use
>> it with your phone line too, if that floats your boat.

>I plan on using a VPS on the 'net for this so no phone lines. Which suits me: I spent ages playing with Asterisk in the past focusing on the phone line side of things and became very frustrated with the whole thing. To be fair it was with cheap hardware off eBay, but it's put me off trying to configure Asterisk again until now, so keeping it away from phone lines would be great
>
>Using Asterisk, is it the case that I would be able to use the geo number on my Sipgate account to come into my Asterisk box (VPS), from where I'd be able to connect out to the extensions by dialing extension numbers? If so I think that solves pretty much all my problems (aside from making it all work of-course....)
>
>Mark

Yes, of course, that would be DISA.
Other options would be an auto attendant, "Dial 1 for Support" etc.
or the Sipgate number could route straight to an extension.

Just as your phone lines can be virtual, the Asterisk box itself can
also be virtual, well hosted at any rate. If your requirements are as
modest as they seem to be check out http://pbxes.org If you have
played with Astrisk@Home or Trixbox you will find the interface very
familiar.

--