Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Changing call forwarding without PC access

Reply
Thread Tools

Changing call forwarding without PC access

 
 
Malcolm Loades
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
(this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
be changed 2 or 3 times a day.

It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't Does anyone
offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

Malcolm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malcolm Loades
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
In message <jpi15a$hoq$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Woolley
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Malcolm Loades wrote:
>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another
>>number (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number
>>may need to be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to
>>change the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't
>>Does anyone offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

>
>This is fairly standard in the non-VoIP 08xxx, 09xxx and personal
>number markets.


I've googled lots on this but can't find such a service, can you point
me to a company which does provide this, please?

>It should be easy to program for yourself on Asterisk.


I read this group because I use a simple VOIP system at home - Fritzbox!
I know nothing of asterisk and my employer who wants the capability
described does not use VOIP. I simply thought that there must be a VOIP
provider out there who can supply a VOIP number which can then have it's
forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
control panel.

Does such a thing exist?

Malcolm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
>
> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't Does anyone
> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?


A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.

It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.

On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):

0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#

Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:01:49 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
>> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
>> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
>>
>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
>> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't Does anyone
>> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

>
>A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
>divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.
>
>It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
>facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
>change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.
>
>On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
>automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
>to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):
>
>0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#
>
>Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
>command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
>lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.


Can you get that facility on non-featureline lines?
I have a "Featureline Compact" line here that is permanently diverted
in that way (long story, don't ask).

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
On Wed, 23 May 2012 19:24:32 +0100, Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:01:49 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
>>> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
>>> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
>>>
>>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
>>> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't Does anyone
>>> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

>>
>> A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
>> divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.
>>
>> It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
>> facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
>> change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.
>>
>> On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
>> automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
>> to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):
>>
>> 0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#
>>
>> Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
>> command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
>> lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.

>
> Can you get that facility on non-featureline lines?
> I have a "Featureline Compact" line here that is permanently diverted
> in that way (long story, don't ask).


Mine is a bog standard POTS line with no other options or features. It costs
5.40 per month.

If you ask a retail sales rep about remote access forwarding they won't have
a clue because this product is usually sold for Business lines. So ask for it
by its correct name of "Smart Divert" and insist they look it up.

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/a...mart-divert%3F

From its location, that page implies it is a "Business Calling Feature" but
in fact it's available to all subscribers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm Loades
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anthony R. Gold
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
>> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
>> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
>>
>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
>> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't Does anyone
>> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

>
>A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
>divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.
>
>It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
>facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
>change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.
>
>On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
>automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
>to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):
>
>0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#
>
>Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
>command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
>lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.


Thanks for the suggestion.

After lots more Googling with varying search strings I finally came upon
http://tinyurl.com/d6t3f8c who offer "Telephone Control to allow change
of diverts via Telephone - Simply call a control number, enter account
details, and switch diverts to pre-set telephone numbers or voicemail".
It is limited to 7 pre-sets but we can live with that.

Malcolm
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
In article <JUN2cfJ$(E-Mail Removed)>, Malcolm Loades
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>In message <jpi15a$hoq$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Woolley
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Malcolm Loades wrote:
>>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another
>>>number (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number
>>>may need to be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
>>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to
>>>change the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't
>>>Does anyone offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

>>
>>This is fairly standard in the non-VoIP 08xxx, 09xxx and personal
>>number markets.

>
>I've googled lots on this but can't find such a service, can you point
>me to a company which does provide this, please?
>
>>It should be easy to program for yourself on Asterisk.

>
>I read this group because I use a simple VOIP system at home - Fritzbox!
>I know nothing of asterisk and my employer who wants the capability
>described does not use VOIP. I simply thought that there must be a VOIP
>provider out there who can supply a VOIP number which can then have it's
>forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
>control panel.
>
>Does such a thing exist?
>
>Malcolm


We now use VoIPfone for our main incomer over a cable net service and I
have asked them this and they are actively looking into it after
receiving a lot of requests!....

--
Tony Sayer




 
Reply With Quote
 
David Woolley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2012
Malcolm Loades wrote:

>
> I've googled lots on this but can't find such a service, can you point
> me to a company which does provide this, please?


Flextel is one of them, but I think there are several, so I think we
must be at cross purposes somewhere, if you have failed to find them.
>
>> It should be easy to program for yourself on Asterisk.

>
> I read this group because I use a simple VOIP system at home - Fritzbox!
> I know nothing of asterisk and my employer who wants the capability
> described does not use VOIP. I simply thought that there must be a VOIP
> provider out there who can supply a VOIP number which can then have it's
> forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
> control panel.
>
> Does such a thing exist?


Why does it have to be in the SIP part of the network?
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Woodhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2012
On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:51 +0100, Malcolm Loades wrote:
> I simply thought that there must be a VOIP provider out there who can
> supply a VOIP number which can then have it's


http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif

> forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
> control panel.


If it's a VoIP service, you possibly don't even need "forwarding". You
can just have one handset registered to it, or another as you see fit.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2012
On Sun, 27 May 2012 15:16:53 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "David Woodhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) .org...
> On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:51 +0100, Malcolm Loades wrote:
>> I simply thought that there must be a VOIP provider out there who can
>> supply a VOIP number which can then have it's

>
> http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
>
>> forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
>> control panel.

>
> If it's a VoIP service, you possibly don't even need "forwarding". You
> can just have one handset registered to it, or another as you see fit.
>
>
> Well not quite as simple as that. Multiple handsets can register, but where
> do the calls go?


To whichever of those registered handsets is the first to pick up so accept
the call. Each handset operator must know of any schedule for when they are
"up" to respond to the incoming calls.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forwarding Args&&... vs forwarding Args... Andrew Tomazos C++ 5 01-05-2012 11:15 PM
Changing style of the numbers in a CSS <ol> without changing the style of the <li> Aaron Beall HTML 2 09-14-2007 08:07 PM
SKYPE + VoSKY Call Centre - Call Forwarding Question. Mark UK VOIP 4 08-04-2006 10:15 PM
webapp forwarding without web.xml Henry Townsend Java 1 09-20-2005 11:20 AM
changing file extension without changing filename jamy Computer Support 4 03-04-2005 01:03 AM



Advertisments