Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] Macro/Closeup

Re: [SI] Macro/Closeup

MG

"SI Committee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup
>
> --
> The Committee

I am new to Shoot Ins, so I don't feel competent to comment on other peoples
work. But I would like to thank everyone for comments. I enjoy reading them.
My feeling is that there is room for improvement in many of the photos and
that the comments were very helpful in achieving this.

My favourite is Frank_Ess_2 (the sunglasses). I spent more time looking at
this one than any other photo.

Thanks to Peter Newman for the flower photos. I thought OK, so this is how
flower photos should be done.

Special thanks to RichA for the entertainment.

--
MG

PeterN

On 6/1/2012 4:23 AM, MG wrote:
> "SI Committee"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup
>>
>> --
>> The Committee

> I am new to Shoot Ins, so I don't feel competent to comment on other peoples
> work. But I would like to thank everyone for comments. I enjoy reading them.
> My feeling is that there is room for improvement in many of the photos and
> that the comments were very helpful in achieving this.

There is no reason why you are indeed competent to comment. You know
what you like and what you don't. If you don't like an image, simply say
why, in a constructive manner. There are times when I don't comment on
an image.
1. someone else has already stated my opinion; and
2. I really don't like the image, and cannot find constructive words
that may help the maker.

> My favourite is Frank_Ess_2 (the sunglasses). I spent more time looking at
> this one than any other photo.
>
> Thanks to Peter Newman for the flower photos. I thought OK, so this is how
> flower photos should be done.

Thanks for your comments. One small correction: that is how I do some of
flower images. I tend to look for an abstract pattern. There are
hundreds of ways of shooting flowers, many of which which are much
better then my style. Since I am not shooting for agronomy purposes, I
sometimes take liberties with color shifting, shape adjustments, HDR,
and/or edge enhancement. With the images I submitted in the SI, I did
some color and edge enhancement on the first dahlia. the others I only
did some sharpening on the lightness channel.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 17:07:21 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 2012-06-01 04:23 , MG wrote:
: > "SI Committee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
: >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup
: >>
: >> --
: >> The Committee
: >
: > I am new to Shoot Ins, so I don't feel competent to comment on other
: > peoples work.
:
: Not at all. Say what you feel/think about the images.

And keep in mind that becoming a good critic is as much a learning process as
taking good pictures is. As you do it more, and start to learn what to look
for in others' work, it will help you see what to look for in your own. Say
what you think, and compare your impressions with those of others who comment
on the same images. As you get better at it, your insight will benefit both
you and the other participants.

Bob