Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Overexposuring analog film?

Overexposuring analog film?

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

> >And - I see now that I can get the RGB-histogram and hot-flashing at
> >the same time! Not a regular histogram and hotflashing, but the
> >RGB-seperated histograms (i.e. four) and then the image preview will
> >hotflash.

> The "regular histogram" is not actually of much value,
> it's the four RGB plus luminance display that is useful.

Oh, I always assumed the combined was what we talked about. Sorry

> >It's a pity, because I get a number of other useful info points in the
> >regular histogram view that I don't get in the RGB histogram view

> The smaller blinking highlight display is not as useful
> as the larger one, so if it is used as more than just an
> indication that something is clipping (if you want to
> know exactly what is clipping) then the full screen
> display is more useful.

Good point. I think I usually use highlights to see whether or not
it's clipping, not particularly in detail what parts. The smaller
image clearly shows how much of the sky that is clipping, but sure,
more detail is better. DSLR's need ten inch screens soon so we can
cram all the info we want into the display

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

In article <2012060104512943658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> On 2012-06-01 04:31:10 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) said:
>
> > Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> In article <2012060103175116807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> >> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> > Ignore Savageduck, he wants to hear himself talk, but has no
> > knowledge pertaining to the discussion.

> Gee! Thanks!
> While I appreciate the depth of your technical knowledge, particularly
> with regard to Nikon equipment, your arrogant pomposity leaves much to
> be desired.
>
> Regarding my knowledge on the subject of Nikon DSLRs, I have used them
> exclusively since moving from film to DSLR. While I might be on the
> lower slopes of that learning curve, or near your lofty seat at the
> apex of that curve, I have after some 50+ years of photography
> experience, both film and digital, learned to recognize those who I can
> learn something from. Admittedly none of that was as a "Pro". You are
> certainly among those I have gained from, but that has been from
> reading some of what you have had to say, rather than through
> interaction, or dialog with you.
>
> That said, from time to time I make an attempt to contribute to the
> discussion as an active participant in these photo-groups. Folks can
> choose to do with my contribution what they will.

For what its worth, I appreciated your contribution to this particular
thread. Your post made me look deeper and find out that I can indeed
see highlighting and histograms at the same time. So, very helpful

--
Sandman[.net]

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-06-01 02:04:20 -0700, Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

>>> Mine does... so yours probably does too!

>> That must be a setting I haven't found yet.
>>
>> In Menu -> Play -> Display mode I have all modes turned on.
>> "Highlights" is one of them (which just flashes overexposure, really),
>> how do I get hot/cold in the histogram view?

> That is my experience.

Note he's also asking for flashing cold; I haven't seen my Nikon cameras
(or any others) do that.

> Nikon convention seems to be common across the pro/prosumer range when
> it comes to display. To the best of my knowledge Nikon DSLRs do not
> support showing flashing highlights and the histogram at the same
> time.

My D700 does; even in the mode where it does a small preview and four
histograms at once (R, G, B, and l).

But I think there was maybe a menu setting needed.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, (E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info