Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My first analog photos!

My first analog photos!

Sandman

So I got my film developed last week and used my Epson V750 scanner to
scan them in.

Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra
160-film as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

You can see the photos I picked out here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasek...7629930160324/

So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots
that were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens
is damn hard for a newbie!

So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them
that they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it
had some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the
dust in the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well,
but still, this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some
way or another. Easily fixed in Photoshop.

The scanner (Epson V750 Pro) works like a charm. With the 120 film
holder it detects all the individual shots and scans them separately.
The quality of the scanner is outstanding.

The camera and lens is outstanding as well. I have the 90mm/1.9 lens
which has some amazing blur! The bokeh in this shot is very nice:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285031632

And the DOF is amazing in shots like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285029364

I'm also comparing this shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285030180

With this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285126350

The latter is taken with my D3S and the 85mm 1.4/G lens which has
*amazing* blur, which I think outdoes the Sekor lens on the Mamiya

(also, it's fun to see the difference in framing of medium format 90mm
and full frame 85mm)

Either way, this has been super fun, I will shoot some color photos as
soon as possible and get the lab to develop them correctly, and then
post about that here as well

--
Sandman[.net]

Andrew Reilly

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:37:24 +0200, Sandman wrote:
> Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra 160-film
> as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

That doesn't bode particularly well, since the developer type is written
on the side of the roll. You might have to hunt around for another lab.
Still, the development seems to have worked out OK as B/W.

> You can see the photos I picked out here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasek...7629930160324/

Nice work!

> So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots that
> were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens is damn
> hard for a newbie!

You get used to it fairly quickly. I prefer manual focus, now.

> So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them that
> they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it had
> some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the dust in
> the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well, but still,
> this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some way or another.
> Easily fixed in Photoshop.

Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
on black and white. Best approach is to avoid it as much as possible and
then get to work, spotting in post.

Cheers,

--
Andrew Reilly

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andrew Reilly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra 160-film
> > as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

> That doesn't bode particularly well, since the developer type is written
> on the side of the roll. You might have to hunt around for another lab.
> Still, the development seems to have worked out OK as B/W.

Yes, I had to fix the contrast slightly in PS, but other than that, no
worries. They apologized and said they should have seen it and I got
two rolls of film and the development for free, and since I was just
testing, I didn't want to make a fuzz about it. I was shooting a
wedding or anything

> > You can see the photos I picked out here:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasek...7629930160324/

> Nice work!

Thanks!

> > So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots that
> > were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens is damn
> > hard for a newbie!

> You get used to it fairly quickly. I prefer manual focus, now.

Oh? Yeah, well the incredbly short DOF makes it hard, but I suppose
I'll learn

> > So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them that
> > they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it had
> > some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the dust in
> > the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well, but still,
> > this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some way or another.
> > Easily fixed in Photoshop.

> Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
> cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
> supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
> on black and white. Best approach is to avoid it as much as possible and
> then get to work, spotting in post.

Indeed!

--
Sandman[.net]

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Andrew Reilly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
> cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
> supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
> on black and white.

That is untrue. It doesn't work with silver based film (including
Kodachrome, which is colour) and it works with non-silver based
film (even if it's monochrome). Silver does not let IR pass.

-Wolfgang

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Russell D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 05/28/2012 01:37 AM, Sandman wrote:
> > So I got my film developed last week and used my Epson V750 scanner to
> > scan them in.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra
> > 160-film as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/
> >
> > You can see the photos I picked out here:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasek...7629930160324/
> >

> Very nice. I don't think any of those photos would have been better in
> color.

While that may be true, I am still curious as to how the "excellent
skin tones" of the Portra 160 measures up to shots from my D3S. But
time will tell

--
Sandman[.net]